1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Amick] LeBron James' free agency: Kawhi Leonard, Chris Paul or Paul George could sway decision

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Jun 23, 2018.

1. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

I hope we get Paul George

2. Vivi

Vivi Member

No one is exactly exited about maxing CP3 for 5 years, but people need to understand it's either pay him and try to win now that we're still close to do it (and we will still have some chance to add talent), or just blow it up and tank, there's no middle ground here, if you don't pay him who do you think we have a realistic chance to get? Boogie? Maybe, that won't make us better, George? He is not coming here to play with Harden and role players, and even if he would, we won't be good enough anyway cause CP3 is better.

malakas, saleem and ryano2009 like this.
  3. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is always a middle ground.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Where was this during the Les era?

That was 14th pick purgatory for several years - That was literally and figuratively middle ground!

The owner did not want us to tank, handed premium role players medium big contracts.

saleem likes this.
  5. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Otherwise known as the 14-20th pick in the draft.

daywalker02 and saleem like this.
  6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I think he can be traded by 19-20, if the Rockets have a disappointing year. The remaining 4 years won't look bad along with a good backup PG. I believe TF understands that. If CP does want to go to LA, DM can get Randle or Kuzma plus Ball or Ingram in some sort of a combo, in a trade. It will be terrible to see CP leave as a UFA though. I would offer Clint plus a unprotected 1st rounder or two for Kyrie. Smart plus Rozier may be an alternative, and more realistic option. Offer Clint to Atlanta for Dennis Schroeder, now that Trae Young is there. Sign NN and the disciplined Amir Johnson along with him to replace Clint. Retain EG, or replace him with Tyreke, if the former wants to leave.
    Luc may re-sign after regaining fitness.
    Hopefully, Melton will pan out and Clark too. I hope Deng will make the team as well. Trevon could make it too, if he shows improvement with his jumper. I don't think our Rockets will drown, despite suffering a big setback in Chris' absence. It has been worth having him for 1 year. He took us so close to victory. Go Houston Rockets!

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yup. CP3's value is he "augment's" James Harden's game. And that lifts the franchise.

Everyone here wants the "perfect solution" but just like in trades you have to GIVE to GET.

So to keep this team as contenders now, you have to acquiesce to the fact CP3 will be paid huge in year 4 and 5. That is the cost of doing business. I will take that cost. Otherwise, what are we doing if we aren't trying to win now with the MVP?

Deckard, hakeem94, saleem and 2 others like this.
  8. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Really hoping Morey has some more stuff up his sleeve. I was a bit bummed out yesterday can’t lie.. Lebron has a chance to cement himself as the top 1-2 player of all time but he wants to live in LA.

So we gotta win it without him.. make him regret the dumb decision that he’s about to make. 3-6 may end up being his ending Finals record if he goes to LA. It’ll be worse if he stays in Cleveland. *shrug*

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not ready to assume that he's going to make a dumb decision just yet. I'm willing to wait the 4 or 5 more days to find out for sure.

hakeem94 and Fyreball like this.
  10. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

LeBron is a Laker in all but writing. Stop deluding yourself into thinking that the Lakers can't become contenders easily. LeBron and George alone turn them into a 55 win team, add Kawhi to that mix and you end up with a 66 win team.

We had a shot at winning the title, but (((Silver))) and CP's hamstring crushed all hopes of that. My prediction is we get the #2 seed, and are knocked out by the LeBron led Lakers in the second round after either CP goes down again or the rigged league ****s us over, again.

11. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I bet you had OKC beating the Rockets in the playoffs last year too. Your dreaming is no different from some of these Rockets fans.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Again, you can feel free to believe that Lebron is going to throw the rest of his career away by going to the Lakers but I'm not ready to believe that actually happens. This time last year you'd have been telling me that CP3 was a Spur or a Celtic in all but writing or that he was staying in LA.

A Lebron, Paul George Lakers team certainly makes the playoffs, and may even make the 2nd round of the playoffs, but that's their ceiling. They'd have no chance whatsoever against the Rockets or Warriors.

13. Vivi

Vivi Member

Of course there is, but is that what you're aiming for?

Yeah, that was some sort of middle ground but mostly after Yao retired, that obviously left us in the **** so, have to deal with that, we were very unlucky (at the same time lucky to have a great front office that was able to lead us through and out of that) but that cycle was better than what some people remember/think, we could/should've won a chip in 2008/09. And we've also been a lot of times really close to being the best team in the nba, Bosh, LMA and Paul the first time he could've come here inj three different times to put us at the top...those were absolutely contending teams/projects, always a single piece away basically. I can't really think at the Rockets as a team which was basically always in the middle ground, other teams fits much more here imo. And yeah, that was with Les in charge, we literally throw away a lottery pick just to have a broken team out there being embarassed by the Warriors in the first round, but that's another story, at least we might be able to rebuild with Tilman if things go in the wrong way.

saleem likes this.
  14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Lebron's already cemented himself as a top 1-2 player of all time.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think history will be that kind to him if he finishes his career 3-6 in the finals. Winning championships elevates players in the minds of casual fans, that's why some think that Kobe is a top 10 player when there's no valid argument for it. If KD keeps winning championships with the Warriors, you can bet that over time they'll elevate him over Lebron as crazy as that sounds.

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Maybe. But I would doubt it. Durant has yet to be considered by virtually anybody as the best player in the league over LeBron.

17. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

You are deluded if you don't think we get the league's finest Company Men (Mauer, Brothers) in a series against LeBron and the Lakers.

I wouldn't be so sure the Warriors come out of the west next year, I doubt (((Silver))) passes up on a chance for a Lakers-Celtics finals.

Or maybe he does because he loves the Golden Skinned Warriors idk.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's true, but if Lebron is done contending and KD ends up with 2 or 3 more championships I think that changes.

I'm not sure that would matter given that the difference in talent would be night and day. Maybe they could keep it somewhat close by attempting to outright rig the game but the Lakers just wouldn't have the talent to pull it off. I'm sure Lebron knows that. If he decides to go to the Lakers, he's given up on contention.

19. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Did you not watch game 6 or game 7? All the refs need to allow is for the other team to foul us and BOOM, no more offense for us. Not enough talent? I doubt you will think the same when LeBron drops 50 (with 20 free throws) like he always does when the league needs him to win a game.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Game 6 and 7 were against the Warriors....the Lakers would have nowhere near that much talent. Lebron dropping 50 would be great and all, but without any talent around him (and that includes Paul George if he goes) the rest of the team combined scores what? 30? 40 maybe?

On top of that, Lebron would have to do that every game for the Lakers to have a chance which would be the same as this year in Cleveland when they got swept by the Warriors. I think at best that Lakers team wins 1 game against the Rockets or Warriors.