1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Christian holding a Bible

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 1, 2020.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

There are way too many "Christians" that are single issues voters. So, they want to see the President fight against abortion rights and Planned Parenthood. That's all they want and are willing to overlook his other sinful acts because he is a sinner that needs forgiveness.

As a matter of fact, there are a couple of guys that lead an online Rosary group on Facebook. One is a very vocal and visible proponent of Trump and continually promotes him and anything relevant to the pro life agenda. He claims, and I quote, "Trump is a gift from God". I know the other guy so I message him saying how Ed needs to keep politics out of the group. He asks me what I find bad about his posts. I explain and then I tell him they should have a discussion as to how a Catholic should reconcile all of Trump's public sins as well as his continual ignoring of the Catholic corporal acts of mercy. (Yes...i know Trump isn't Catholic). That suggestion never goes anywhere.

The vast majority of Catholics i know that support Trump only support him because of his public pro life stance.

RayRay10 and dmoneybangbang like this.
  2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The only thing I am commenting on is the use of the word devout.

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Me too. And if you ask them why they are not following that teaching... because there are other teachings as well, the one around pro-life beyond birth. Not so single-issue IOW.

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

A King David Christian.

RayRay10 and dmoneybangbang like this.
  5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I am curious whether that is true, or at least, whether you will see a divide where almost all more progressive Catholics support Biden, the most conservative Catholics vote for trump, and those in the middle lean towards Biden. I am also wondering if Catholics in general will want to support Biden (the first Catholic VP) as the second Catholic President (after JFK)? Also, I wonder if trump's relatively poor relationship with the Pope will pay a factor?

RayRay10 and Invisible Fan like this.
  6. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

This statement sums up why Christianity as it's practiced today is basically a hypocritical farce. It has nothing to do with faith but rather the justification of self-righteousness. Those so-called "Christians" aren't overlooking anything Trump is doing because of forgiveness at all. They do so because they simply don't care what he does as long as he SAYS things that re-enforce their bigotry and hatred of those they consider to be "the others".

7. Nook

Nook Member

The majority of Catholics I know are pro choice. However there are a sizable amount that are pro life and feel strongly about it. I agree with you that they tend to be single issue voters. They support or vote for Trump simply because he is pro life.

Catholics are different than some of the other Christian denominations in that the poor is usually a top priority.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. NewRoxFan

Finally, after two weeks, the full truth comes out...

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I only regret they didn’t use more

10. NewRoxFan

Jeez, more trump admin lies...

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. NewRoxFan

attorney general barr out and out lying about the presidential move to tear gas protesters in order for trump's photo op...

Officials familiar with Lafayette Square confrontation challenge Trump administration claim of what drove aggressive expulsion of protesters
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...177e1e-acd4-11ea-a9d9-a81c1a491c52_story.html

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-...economy-in-wsj-interview-11592493771?mod=e2tw

Mr. Trump said he had no regrets over a controversial tweet at the start of the protests that “when the looting starts, the shooting starts.” The president said the tweet could be read as either a threat or a fact. Asked how he intended it, Mr. Trump said “a combination of both.”

Mr. Trump also said he wouldn’t have handled his walk to St. John’s Church any differently. The decision to forcibly remove a crowd of peaceful protesters before he walked through Lafayette Square to a fire-damaged church and posed for photos drew broad criticism earlier this month, while garnering praise from some conservative backers.

He said he made the decision to visit the church “very quickly,” revealing a clue as to why his top military advisers later said they didn’t didn’t know the full details of the event and expressed regret about attending.

Mr. Trump said he didn’t bring any black supporters to the church because there were none at the White House. He said he held up a Bible for pictures instead of praying or reading a verse because it was “very, very noisy” from protesters several blocks away.

“You have people screaming all over the place, and I didn’t think it was exactly the right time to pray—I’m on the sidewalk,” Mr. Trump said. “And the church itself, I didn’t want to go in because they had a lot of insurance reasons. You know, the church was boarded up. The entire church was boarded up, and I knew that. So I went there, stood there, held up the Bible, talked to a few people and then we left. I came back, and I got bad publicity.”

RayRay10 and FrontRunner like this.
  13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The thing that gets me about this explanation that the tear gas was for the fence and not the photo opp, is that even it was true it doesn't justify doing it. Under any other Administration, I would expect they would tell the media days in advance. They would mark the new perimeter in advance. They would wait until after curfew, probably long after. They'd clear the park with police and put up the fence. With some planning and maybe a little consideration that citizens have rights, they'd have that fence up without any incident. You don't get to just go and push citizens around and tear gas them, maybe hit a couple with shields and batons because you decided at the last minute you needed a fence. People were within their rights to stand in that park and riot police were not within their rights to forcibly clear them. Admin doesn't respect process for anything.

14. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Mr. Trump said he didn’t bring any black supporters to the church because there were none at the White House.

Are there ever?

mdrowe00 likes this.
  15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

omarosa... Ben Carson....uhhhhhh

Hey! Where's Kanye???

mdrowe00 and RayRay10 like this.
  16. NewRoxFan

My gosh... trump will even lie about a church!

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The Criminal in Chief’s hand must not have been on a bible, when he said that.

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. NewRoxFan

COVID-19 cases are rising, unemployment is rising, and trump is playing the fake media card on fox news and raising this horrible scene again...

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. NewRoxFan

At a House investigation happening today, jonathan turley was testifying...

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. NewRoxFan