1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Christian holding a Bible

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

2. Newlin

Newlin Member

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Remember all the ridiculous deceitful efforts to claim that they didn't use tear gas on American citizens (including priests). In the court of law the truth came out. But even then, more ridiculous efforts to defend that horrific action... "because its officers “did not target specific protesters,” their constitutional rights were not violated." So I guess their defense that they were indiscriminately teargassing people? OMG...

MPD attorney: Department used tear gas on Lafayette Park protesters in June 2020
    Attorney Richard Sobiecki explained for the first time why MPD used tear gas against protesters fleeing federal police, though he did not say what exactly was used.

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/...-2020/65-b91a5d65-b683-4e22-b30a-7a740e9cf61d

mdrowe00 likes this.
  4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

turley is such a trump hack...

5. DonatelloLimestone

I don't get the hate, this guy is clearly passionate about christianity and the bible and he just is sharing his message...people actually watch this and believe him

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Oh ye of so little faith.

People will like what their spiritual leaders tell them to like.

Lest they be shunned and cast forth unto the heathens

mdrowe00, ROCKSS and RayRay10 like this.
  7. DonatelloLimestone

8. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

How dare you. Jonathan Turley is the voice of truth and justice. There is no thread that is complete without @Os Trigonum supplying us with Turley’s unimpeachable analysis of any constitutional debate.

Andre0087, ROCKSS and RayRay10 like this.
  10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

exactly

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Nothing like sucking dick to gain future access to a president who failed at reelection. Poor Turley. A little less "on the knees" time and some more basic introspection of his shame and dignity would have prevented this.

12. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This tells you everything you need to know about Turleys game here he’s playing. Same with Dershowitz. They claim they aren’t a Trump supporter, but yet are front and center defending all of his positions to provide a defense for the defenseless.

It’s perceived independence... a trick lawyers pull with the jury all the damn time. (See QAnon Shaman’s lawyer calling him slow in the brain but innocent of a crime).

Only in this case with Trump, Dershowitz and Turley have an incredibly low bar to jump over since the jury in this case (public opinion of foxnews watchers only) puts them into position to say just about anything and if it informs their desired bias, they won their case.

dmoneybangbang and mdrowe00 like this.
  14. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This could probably be it's own thread or go in the state of the republican party but felt appropriate here.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/07/11/mercy-culture-church/
    https://archive.is/rcFNj

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I followed with interest the election in the Southern Baptist Convention where alt-right types were making a push to seize the leadership from the current, slightly moderate conservative leaders. They flew pirate flags and talked about taking control of the ship. The moderate won the election, but the movement seems to be galvanizing in just the denomination you'd expect to find it in.

I was a little annoyed by this article's sentence, "one whose goal includes bringing under the authority of a biblical God every facet of life, from schools to city halls to Washington." That is evangelicalism, and evangelicalism is growing, so I guess it's true, but this isn't a new thing. Since at least the Moral Majority, the argument in evangelicalism is that if you really believe God reigns there shouldn't be any aspect of your life that is kept away from God. Your sex life, your political life, education, work, what you eat for breakfast, everything should be submitted to God. I hear it preached on a near-weekly basis. And it sounds reasonable to me if you believe what evangelicals believe about God.

But I don't think that's really the problem. I think white evangelicalism still often preserves a sort of Christian Chauvinism. The early church was missional and assumed everyone they talked to was a non-believer that needed to be courted, and they grew through evangelism. Christian Chauvinism says the US is a Christian nation and that its laws and culture should comport with that identity. So things like immigration of Muslims is an existential threat, or that homosexual marriage should be illegal because it is unbiblical. The church needs to go back to think of themselves as missionaries in a nation of unbelievers and recapture some of their early humility. I don't see a problem with practicing Christians wanting to talk about Jesus in every facet of their lives, including in how they vote or what they teach. They just need to stop assuming that people are wrong to disagree with them. And they need to stay away from leaders like Trump that would tell them this should be a Christian nation. But we are seeing this growth of Christian nationalists who are pretty much saying exactly that.

16. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

17. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

18. dmoneybangbang

Which isn't going to happen and is intrinsic to their beliefs......

It's like the Protestant vs Catholic battle that has raged for centuries..... only one can be right. Now we have thousands of denominations.

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Eh, I know of pastors in evangelical churches who have said just that. But given the way people tend to self-segregate, I think folks with such ideas will tend to leave the white evangelical churches instead of trying to change them.

20. dmoneybangbang

Non denominations is where people are flocking to. You can pretty much take Christianity wherever you want it in non denominational.... tax free....

JuanValdez likes this.