1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jon Barry is a piece of crap

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Panda23, May 15, 2015.

1. plee

plee Member

He didn't enough playing time when he was with the Rockets...

2. smileandnod

smileandnod Member

No disrespect, but I live in Austin and have to watch the Spurs announcers every time the rockets play the Spurs, and they are horrible. I'm not saying our guys aren't bias too, cause they are. But those Spurs guys, just like their fans, think their team can do no wrong. Just saying.

But that's the way it should be with a your teams announcers. They are fans too.

There's a different standard and expectation for national TV games.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

He literally criticized the Rockets and praised the Clippers at the same time for employing the same exact strategy. Not the outcome of the strategy, but the thought of actually using it.

4. smileandnod

smileandnod Member

Well said. I'm right there with you

5. Man

Man Contributing Member

I think it's odd that he went pretty quiet, but I don't think he has anything against the Rockets. He was a pretty vocal supporter (and familiar/knowledgeable) as a commentator about the Rockets the few seasons after he retired.

6. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Should be worth noting that Barry is from CA (Oakland), not sure if maybe he grew up a Clippers fan?

Maybe things didn't end well with the Rockets for him behind closed doors. Who knows.

7. Sleepy Flloyd

Sleepy Flloyd Member

I think he had money on the game

8. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

My thoughts exactly. I think he probably lost some serious money last night.

He has never been a good commentator. He hates the Rockets. He really sucks at his job too. I can't believe he gets paid a lot of money to be one of the worst commentators on TV. He is just awful to listen to.

9. joeson332

joeson332 Member

was just going to post this lol. Wish Jon Barry had a twitter

10. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

What I heard is this, when JBarry was playing for Huston, his woman slept with another Rocket...

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

All of the criticism of Barry is very valid. At the time of the game the one that bothered me the most was when Dwight picked up his Flagrant, Barry was going on and on about how Dwight's play wasn't on the ball at all and how awful it was. At least Howard made an attempt at the ball as well at whatever other contact there was. But 30 second later when Barnes wrapped up the Rockets player not going for the ball at all, Barry was going on about how that was a great way to foul.

It was disgusting. Barry's lack of commentary about the monumental comeback the Rockets were in the midst of was absolutely awful from a journalistic standpoint, let alone my Rockets homer standpoint.

12. Buck Turgidson

Wrong brother, wrong team. That was Brent in SA.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Well, maybe it's a Barry gene that they're all assholes and their women look outside the marriage for non-assholes? I mean, Rick Barry is the most hated NBA player of all-time, right?

14. Buck Turgidson

Yep, Jon definitely learned from the best. Don't know much about Brent; wasn't there another brother too, Scooter, Skippy, something like that?

15. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

At least Tirico put in the professional effort. Jon Barry approached Dan Dierdorff calling Ravens/Texans games.

It's just silly. Just call the game, respect the game if not yourself...

16. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

It's not like JB is the best announcer on the planet. He's below average and that is what you get for below average.

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think its Shooter or Stewey. One of those.

18. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

I think he was a fan as long as some of his old buddies were on the team. It's a new team now and he has no emotional connection to them anymore.

19. Buck Turgidson

Just found this, from early April:

To watch a Reggie-called game is to roll your eyes, giggle at his silliness, and wish someone else was talking, or that no one at all was talking. But Reggie Miller doesn't paint a light sickly green film over the game. He does not seem to be attempting to make the game more unpleasant for all involved. For that, thankfully, we have Jon Barry.

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/an-intervention-for-jon-barry-the-nbas-worst-commentator

20. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Damn Floyd, I didn't know you were a Rockets fan. Nice win against Manny.