1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CFB Playoff Rankings

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Oct 28, 2014.

1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Would be funny if their signature wins were the same team twice.

2. Buck Turgidson

Wow, ouch. That is so, so weak. If I was a Baylor fan I'd be pissed to hear my AD talking like that.

Props to TCU, they've got upcoming home-and-homes with Arkansas, Ohio St and Cal after they finish the Minnesota series next year.

1 person likes this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Projected <a href="https://twitter.com/CFBPlayoff">@CFBPlayoff</a> lines via <a href="https://twitter.com/LVSuperBook">@LVSuperBook</a>: Bama -11.5 vs FSU; Oregon -2.5 vs TCU h/t <a href="https://twitter.com/DavidPurdum">@DavidPurdum</a></p>&mdash; Brett McMurphy (@McMurphyESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/status/539969810411819008">December 3, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

That was over the top for sure. Esp the bit about scheduling teams like Bama. Gotta love the all or nothing approach.

5. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

This is why the playoffs need to be expanded. All the champions of the major conferences should be in the playoffs, and then numerous wild card picks. I would expand it to 16 teams. If the other divisions can have a 16 team playoff, so can The FBS schools. Just give everyone what they want.

6. solid

solid Contributing Member

I recommended this very thing. This is the fairest way, much like the NFL playoff system.

7. Beavis Stiffler

I believe and dream that Mizzou can upset Bama, Zona beats the Ducks again, GT defeats FSU, and the Badgers eliminating the Buckeyes from playoff contention.

This means that TCU and Baylor will be #1 and #2 respectively heading into the College Football Playoff semifinals.

8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

One of the great things about college football is how important each game is. By expanding it that much, you really cheapen that, and a loss or two really doesn't hurt much at all. I love how you really have to be near-perfect to go all the way, but maybe that's just me.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

And I will repeat this is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. Makes no sense at all.

An 8-team playoff will eventually happen. Probably will take a while.

10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Why is it dumb? It makes every week of the upmost importance. But I mean, just my opinion. I have no issue with anybody who feels differently.

11. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

6 team playoff.

Top 2 seeds get a bye.

12. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I think a 16 team playoff would actually make more regular season games mean something. More teams would be fighting to get into the tournament and for the best seeds. As it is now, we have a lot of meaningless games every Saturday because fans are only focused on teams that have a shot at being in the top four. We've seen the NFL, MLB, and the NBA all expand their playoffs in order to keep fans interested in more games. Why not FBS football?

The collage football postseason could be so much better than it is now. How many of the bowl games generate much interest? A 16 team playoff would create 15 highly watched games. Let's do away with all those sad little bowl games and move to something that would really be exciting.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

What does the regular season matter if the head-to-head results don't. Or if some team's close calls are not as highly scrutinized as others?

1 person likes this.
  14. ccada

ccada Contributing Member

From the CFP Media Guide regarding human voting being superior to computer rankings:

"We believe that a committee of experts properly instructed (based on beliefs that the regular season is unique and must be preserved; and that championships won on the field and strength of schedule are important values that must be incorporated into the selection process) has very strong support throughout the college football community.

Under the current construct, polls (although well-intended) have not expressed these values; particularly at the margins where teams that have won head-to-head competition and championships are sometimes ranked behind non-champions and teams that have lost in head-to-head competition. Nuanced mathematical formulas ignore some teams who “deserve” to be selected."

This appears to be the exact scenario between TCU and Baylor, with the outcome being the opposite of the justification they've articulated for their existence.

http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/media-guide

15. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Amen. Bears reposting.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

And the Sun Belt gyps my Bobcats. I know someone who won't be watching a second of college football in December outside of the 60 minutes in Waco on Saturday.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

So we went from human selection, to computer selection, back to human selection... and we still have the same problems. Lulz. College football is so dumb.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They wont anymore. Those days are over. League mandate. But for the most part the SEC schedules some at pretty well aside from the 1 cupcake per team.

Yep, no one can argue that. If you focus on just that part of the argument it really seems strange that TCU is ahead of Baylor.

Not necessarily true... Baylor could have scheduled better and still gotten screwed over.

FSU is in a ****ty spot.

They went out of their way to schedule a great non-conference. ND, Florida, Oklahoma State -- these programs are almost always good. It's impossible to predict and prepare for them not being good. You have Baylor getting punished for not scheduling anyone and you have FSU getting punished for scheduling well but having the opponents cycle to down years...

There's no way to win. Scheduling cupcakes almost seems like the most logical path to the playoffs if you're in a top 4 conference based on how things played out this year.

This is my favorite idea. No need for 8. Just go with 6 and let the top teams rest.

I don't think Minnesota is very good at all so the entire argument that TCU has a superior schedule is stupid to me. Baylor beat TCU, a much better team than anyone TCU has beaten this year, so IMO, Baylor has stronger quality of wins. But that doesn't mean TCU isn't better. On the field, to me, they look better. More balanced. Still probably would put Baylor above them though - ha.

19. Indaface

Indaface Member

If Baylor beats Kstate then Baylor should go in over TCU...obviously the committee has it set up so they wouldn't jump them (especially since TCU has a easy game vs. Iowa St).

if Baylor beats Kst then after next week (assuming OU beats OKst)

Baylor would have meaningful wins over (top 5 TCU, top 15 - Kst/OU)
    TCU would have meaningful wins over (top 15 - Kst/OU, Minnesota)

both would have blown out Texas, SMU, OKst, Iowa St

TCU blew out Tech while Baylor struggled and held on
    Baylor blew out both Kansas and OU while TCU struggled to beat both

Baylor lost to WVA while TCU squeaked by them

.................................................................................
    So if the committee puts in TCU over Baylor they are saying that the last statement means more than the everything else...a bad loss is more important than a superior resume...yet they still put Ohio St over Baylor who has a worse loss (home vs VaTech) than Baylor.

They just keep contradicting themselves and it's ridiculous for college football and insulting to the fans.

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Don't ask me...I'm as baffled as you are with the committee's blatant disregard for actual results in favor of the mythical "eye test"....