1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CFB Playoff Rankings

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Oct 28, 2014.

1. Major

Major Member

Beating a 7-4 Samford team has value, apparently.

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Man...I hate Baylor, but this moronic committee subjectiveness has turned me into a defender. Amazing how mythical eye tests are more important than results. Too bad for the Bears. Especially considering Florida State staying in, when they've looked largely bad the entire year.

3. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Not bad enough to actually have a loss though, which none of the other top teams can claim. They are getting hosed too.

4. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I think the Playoff Committee got it right, at least in my opinion. Baylor's loss to West Virginia really wasn't that close. In addition, UT blew out West Virginia, making BU's loss to WVU even worse. TCU lost at the last second to Baylor and has played better than Baylor since then. Most recently, TCU demolished a UT team with a good defense, and Baylor barely squeaked by a terrible Texas Tech team.

The Verdict: TCU should be ranked ahead of Baylor

5. Major

Major Member

Why do you only look at only the loss? Baylor has a win over a top 5 team. TCU doesn't have a win against anyone at that level. Their best win would be against a 3-loss KSU team (assuming Baylor beats them this weekend).

Baylor wins against ranked teams:

Top 5 TCU
    Top 15 K-State
    Top 15 OU

TCU wins against ranked teams:

Top 15 K-State
    Top 15 OU

Why doesn't that matter?

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I don't understand how, after this week, Baylor can't jump TCU when BU is playing the #9 team in the county and TCU is playing a 2-9 team. Is there some kind of rule I don't know about?

The rankings are arbitrary, they make this s*** up on the fly, right? So what's the hold up?

1 person likes this.
  7. Major

Major Member

In terms of the WVU loss being "not that close", the two teams were tied going into the 4th quarter.

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Still one more week though, and a chance for Baylor to beat good opponent....I just don't see how they move them up though with TCU at #3. Hoping one if not both FSU and OSU lose.

But, can't say I'm not enjoying it.

#268 Uprising, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

TCU also needed a last-second FG to beat WVU. Why is the narrative that they are some dominating team when they're not. Cause they threw up 82 on Tech?

1 person likes this.
  10. Major

Major Member

It's not impossible. But if the committee was leaning towards doing that, they would probably have left TCU at #4. Because Baylor's beating #9 would have to jump them 3 spots - leaping them over not just TCU, but also an OSU that beats #13 Wisconsin and an FSU that beats a #11 Georgia Tech. TCU would have to fall behind both FSU and Baylor for beating ISU.

Moving to TCU to #3 just is a silly move if you're considering flipping them with #6 after 1 more game.

11. Hustle Town

But TCU beat West Virginia. Baylor didn't. TCU's only loss was against an elite Baylor team, and that was months ago. To be clear, I don't have a dog in this fight (just look at my sig).

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

They don't have to leap FSU and OSU. FSU and OSU could move ahead of TCU as well, and then you'd only need to bump BU over TCU.

Sounds like a completely legitimate outcome to me, no sarcasm.

13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Spank K State and let's see what's up.

14. sammy

Kansas says hi. So does OU. We're better against common teams, imo.

1 person likes this.
  15. Bob Barker 007

Baylor Non-Conference Schedule:
    SMU
    Northwestern State
    @Buffalo

TCU Non-Conference Schedule:
    Samford
    Minnesota
    @SMU

16. sammy

If FSU beats GA tech, they go up to 3. TCU would drop to 5.. Not 6. Ohio state is at 6 even if they win if they look meh.

17. Hustle Town

These non-conference schedules are why NCAA football has lost much of its luster over the past few years. Pathetic.

18. sammy

I don't see minnesota in the top 25. Do y'all?

19. Hustle Town

If Baylor had scheduled better teams, we wouldn't be having this discussion right now. Just another reason why Baylor isn't considered a powerhouse in the public eye.

20. sammy

You don't get banners for losing to Bama. You do for winning the Big 12. Whatever.