1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Market for Omer Asik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Grapenutz, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I'd do an Asik for Klay Thompson deal in a second.

2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I never understood this board's infatuation with Bosh.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Asik, 2 PFs, and 4 minimum salaries gets it done though.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yes but Miami would also have to send multiple players back in the deal due to roster spots needed. Maybe its not impossible, but its highly unlikely without Lin getting moved, and extremely difficult to pull off when moving that many players around, and probably having to get a third team involved.

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I know there are 240 mpg. I also know a team can only play 5-at-a-time.

Asik's value is maxed when the need is greatest. That is not today.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I cringe at the thought of Bosh's ugly mug in a Rockets uniform, but if simply comparing him with Omer (without other possible pieces in a deal) in terms of value sent out, and value received, Bosh would be a perfect fit here. The idea doesn't excite me, though.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I imagine for cap purposes it'd be Asik + Lin + Jones (they can't have Dmo, sorry) for Bosh. It'd be giving up a lot. I know Bosh is/was an All Star, but I'd ask for a 1st round pick from the Heat as well.

It might help keep LeBron in the fold because Lin can play the 2 and the 1. Lin's young and can take some of those minutes that Wade must inevitably yield as his knee degenerates.

We'd wind up with Beverly and Brooks as our PGs (Brooks is actually not half-bad).

Tough to say if this would be the way to go. Lin looks like he really worked on his game.

If we aim to improve the roster, will it be at the 4, like this thread suggests, or will we try to get a point guard (Rondo?) who can actually deliver the ball to Howard (but might freeze out his three-point shooters)?

Or having Bosh wearing a Rockets uniform while being thrashed in NBA Trash Talk (go to youtube, you'll see what I mean).

8. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

If the Rockets were able to swap Omer for Bosh, that would be genius...but cap costs make this trade highly unlikely.

Same with the Omer for Bogut...Salary matching will be a challenge unless you bring in a 3rd team.

Its just not gonna be easy to trade Omer for serious value in my opinion without causing a huge change in the current roster. This is why I think the Rockets stay pat with Omer this year and wait till the summer to make a move with him.

9. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Took me a second to get that and then I pictured Bosh swallowing the champagne like an idiot.

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Because he is a borderline superstar PF.

11. finsraider

finsraider Member

A 3rd team would need to be involved with Bosh, but if I'm management, I'm more concerned about his contract and future contracts.

Bosh is on the books for $22 million in 2015-2016. For comparison, Love and LMA are $17 million each that year. Even if we remove the tax implications, that extra $5 million for Bosh puts more limitations on what we can do with the roster (it may put us over the umbrella, which limits our MLE).

Bosh and LMA are the same player to me. Both can extend the floor with their mid-range games, and both can play backup minutes at the 5. Love is a completely different animal, and we would need to find a legit backup for Howard if we got him.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Let's get Bosh. Oh, wait. One year rental. Worth it? Not to me.

13. ILoveTheRockets

How possible would it be to throw the Pacers into the mix and get a few gems off that squad.

14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Bosh...superstar? An overrated one in Toronto perhaps.

He disappears more often then not. Lebron's shadow hides his weaknesses. On the Heat he is more of a glorified role player.

Not to mention that should we somehow complete this trade for Asik, we are actually fortifying Heat's defense. Their perimeter defense is top notch. Their interior defense not so much. Hilbert tore them a new one and a Dino Duncan was abusing Bosh like a rag doll. With Asik, who is a better interior presence on defense, the Heat defense will be very hard to beat.

In any case, I doubt Riley parts with Bosh. For some weird reason he is married to jump shooting soft PFs like Bosh and Juwan Howard.

#54 Zboy, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Miami with Asik would be scary. He would help them more than Bosh does.

1 person likes this.
  16. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Exactly. Good luck scoring against that defense.

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't understand the love for Thompson.

He's just a glorified Kevin Martin.

18. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Why would it be a one year rental? He would obviously re-up with us. He wants to win

19. Karolik

Karolik Member

Bosh may not be a top 5 superstar but he's probably still the best PF in the league. It's kind of hard not to disappear when you're relegated to a spot up shooter.

20. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Bosh + Chalmers + Cole
    For
    Asik + Lin + Bev + Dmo + Smith

Would you?