1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Market for Omer Asik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Grapenutz, Oct 17, 2013.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Is it really that hard to beat?

Don't get me wrong... I like Barnes' upside. But everything else in that deal is filler... and Barnes' upside is kind of limited. I'd argue that the Nuggets and Jazz got more for Melo and DWill. The Magic may have gotten more for Dwight as well.

I mean, if Kevin Love is REALLY on the trade block, and say you're the Sixers, wouldn't you immediately offer up at least one of your lotto picks in this draft + Evan Turner (somewhat a bust, but as solid a contributor as Barnes last year) plus filler (2015 1st round pick, extra). That seems to be a better deal for Love if you're Minnesota. Especially if you can get the Sixers to offer up a fully unprotected first round pick next year.... which at that point they might do, expecting to be at least marginally better with Love. Or if you're the Bobcats, surely you offer up Zeller, Biyombo and a future first. Cleveland could probably offer a better package, etc.

Just saying, a number of eastern conference teams with enough young talent on their roster plus potential lotto picks in this years super deep draft, shoudl be able to best an offer that effectively is Harrison Barnes for Love... especially when Barnes and Derrick Williams are fairly similar players.

As for Houston, I don't really see the benefit of Barnes, except that he's young with upside, and cheap. He is not a PF, and barely played any PF last year.

I'm not opposed to the idea of bringing in a young player with upside... but not sure if it should be him. Greg Monroe is a better choice, though maybe he is looking for more money. I doubt Utah would be willing to give up Favors or Kanter, but if they wanted a slight upgrade to him Asik would provide that.

As for Asik for Bosh. I'm all for that, but find it highly unlikely the Heat do it. I can make a ton of arguments why they should, but success (even if through luck) is success. And frankly, Bosh's ability to stretch the floor and hit a mid range jumper offensively is probably pretty important in that offense.

2. JBar

JBar Rookie

That's one of the smarter trade idea concepts I've heard thrown out recently. You should put it also in the Random trade ideas thread.

3. JBar

JBar Rookie

Then again, maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. Love is the star player that would be the best fit for us in my opinion.

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

DMo is not filler... he's a 7-footer with big time offensive potential. Canaan is a guy most analysts thought should've gone in the first round who is just simply not going to get a chance with the Rockets right now. And a first rounder surely is not filler.

5. finsraider

finsraider Member

I've always thought that these were two "under discussed" potential landing spots for Asik.

Obviously Morey has a very high opinion of Bosh (iPad-gate). He's a great fit next to Howard because he can play stretch 4 AND slide over to center when Howard sits.

For Miami it's simple....they need to build a team that will compete well into the future in order to keep LeBron. I feel that their current team only has one more run in them before cap constraints and aging take their toll.

Maybe Asik + DMo + Canaan + 2 1st gets a 3-way trade done

Bugot is cronically injured. If he goes down, GSWs defense will collapse around them. Asik gives them a long term solution at center, and he's a perfect fit for their team with all the outside shooting. He also makes up for Lee's horrific defense.

This would have to be a 3-way trade. Houston doesn't need Harrison Barnes, but he would be necessary to get a deal done. My guess would be GSW/HOU/MIN with Love coming to the Rockets, Barnes/picks/other talent going to Minny, and Asik going to GSW.

I think these are both legit options for the Rockets, but my guess is everyone wants to see how things play out. Will Bogut or Oden be healthy? Does DMo or TJones develop into a quality PF? Some of these questions need to be answered before a deal gets done, but I don't doubt they are being explored.

6. rocketblood713

I can see the Bosh thing happening if MIA REALLY looking for a C that bad but the Bogut deal im not feeling it

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Bosh would be amazing here.

David Lee, yea I don't think so.

8. alethios

alethios Member

I think the Heat might consider it if LeBron made it seem he might walk after his contract is up. I personally see LeBron going to LA, and if the Heat lose out on him, they won't keep Bosh either. Speculation, though.

9. davestrate

davestrate Member

I have nothing against Bosh as a person or player, but I prefer to win our next championship with players who haven't won it in the past. I wonder if Dwight, James and company feel the same way.

Yes I said it! Leave Lebron and everyone else that has won away from here!

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Bosh for Asik is too prefect for both teams not to happen but I also think Thorpe's question of Lebron and Wade's hesitance is true. Those guys run the team, not Riley.

11. Mariachi ROCKET

12. finsraider

finsraider Member

In today's NBA there aren't just 2 parties involved in a trade....there's 3. Team A, Team B, and Star Player A. If Star Player A doesn't want to be on Team B, then generally the deal doesn't get done.

This creates a lopsided market. Team A's only leverage is that they have Player A under contract for X years. Assuming Team B is the desired location, Team B can plan their cap so that they have enough room to threaten to sign Player A outright.

That's were the Rockets are with both LMA and Love. With Asik and Lin both expiring in 2015, they can threaten to sign either of them outright. Of course they have to risk losing Parsons in 2015, but they know there is a good chance to keep him and add Love or LMA.

If Love tells Minny "I'm going to Houston", and a 3-way trades nets them Barnes, DMo and/or TJones, the Rights to Papanikolaou, Canaan, and 2 or 3 1st, they will have to think long and hard about it. They are not a team that free agents will flock to, so maximizing cap space to attract a top FA likely won't work.

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

14. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Asik for Bosh makes perfec sense and I could see that happening if the Oden experiment doesn't work out (unlikely, unfortunate for Oden though) and the Heat continue to struggle against the bigger teams. Bosh is the best player to compliment what we have in the Rockets, in my opinion. Problem is only that salaries don't match and the Rockets will have to give up players such as Dmo and/or possibly Jones with other player. I would still do it in a heartbeat because we are in win now more!
    The Warriors trade only interest me for Harrison Barnes. Bogut alone is a deal breaker because of his health. But Barnes would be great coming off the bench and he is strong enough to guard the 4 if we need to start him.

15. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

First off, anyone besides Lin harden cp Dwight asik bev and maybe Garcia is filler in any trade we propose to Miami. Dmo and tjones? These guys can't even solidify a starting spot over each other and Greg smith and casspi.
    The best case scenario would be to have Miami bite on Asik + bev + Canaan + Garcia (replaces mike miller) + jones/dmo type deal. In which case I assure you morey would do it in a heartbeat

16. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Yes, but would Morey ever go after a guy like Bosh? ;o

17. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Please Not David Lee he is probably the worst defender in the NBA I would do trade for Bosh though

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

bosh would attack parsons in the lockerroom.....not good for team morale

19. Sanity2disChaos

I thought MIA would have to break up those three eventually anyways??( Cap,etc.)

If so this isnt far fetched and would benefit both teams....

HOU Vs MIA in the Championship......Hou in 6!!

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Again... the Rockets cannot acquire Bosh in a trade without giving up BOTH Asik & Lin. Its impossible to get done with just Asik & 2 or 3 min salary players.