1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FIRE RUDY T!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocket113, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Uh... how can he be overrated when EVERYBODY says he's bad?

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I guess the coach's job is kinda like the janitor's. When you do well, nobody notices it. When you leave a little mess, EVERYBODY sees it.

When the team executed well in games, I never heard the Rudy bashers giving the coach any credit. It's all praise for the players. When the team didn't execute, it's all Rudy's fault.

Let's see, which is more likely?

1. The coach has a game plan, get the players prepared for some games and not for others.

Or

2. The players execute the game plan well in some games and not for others.

Think. Think.

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

This team is not as good as people think. Their frontline consists of a rookie center who missed all of training camp and the preseason, a 20 year-old PF who can't bang or shoot, and a small forward who can't dribble or shoot and who's only been here about a month! The guards are probably the dumbest bunch in the entire league. The starting lineup has got to be the youngest in the league. Yet the team is only a few games out of the #3 SPOT IN THE WEST. Yeah, get rid of the coach. :rolleyes:

4. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

What's wrong with a coach trying to stay positive in public?

Who knows what he says to the team behind closed doors?

5. NUMBER1HR

NUMBER1HR Member

I vote to fire him to and put Calvin Murphy as the head Caoch!

Wish we had a say so I would have fired him 3 seasons ago!!!!!

6. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

Just read game writeup in Dallas Morning News.

Rudy said, "we played well, we just didn't hit our shots."

26 turnovers and 8 assists in a one-on-team fest. It's RT's comments about the game that really worry me.

:confused:

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It's either this or the coaching, and someone needs to fix it. And Les will fire someone, remember he said this is one of the greatest teams of all time.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

That's the problem, he is always positive when he needs to put his foot up these players' a**es some times.

9. swooh

swooh Member

Look, I believe if the rockets miss the playoffs this season then some changes MUST be made in the off-season. I really don't think that ANYONE should be above evaluation after that. Rudy T helped us win 2 titles and thats a great service to this city, but at what point do you start thinking that maybe this isn't the man best suited for the job anymore? The point guard is the extension of the coach onto the court...and when there is a COMPLETE lack of ball movement the blame must go somewhere. I understand the people that come out in defense of Rudy and Steve as a PG but I'm thinking time is running short when he is given this much talent and there is no ball-movement and we continue to see our guards jack up horrendous shots and making poor passes. Rudy T isn't the ONLY reason the rockets look bad and I think for this team to improve it'll take more than just a coaching change i think. We have GOT to get a better passing point guard or our guards have got to become MUCH better passers. This isolation offense is also complete BS so I think either Rudy ditches it or he dies with it after the season. Bottom line: I reserve judgement on Rudy T and the Rockets "jack em up" guards untill after the season.

10. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

You don't think benching Francis in the 4th vs the Spurs had the effect?

11. jxu777

jxu777 Contributing Member

rocket113,

The first thing in the morning, I wanted to start a thread "Rudy appologists, eat your crow here!". Then I saw your thread. Agree 100%. And some more. So allow me add my overnight fury on fire here.

I watched the Rockets and Rudy ball since 94. I watched every Rockets game so far this season. I also watched almost all interesting NBA games this season. And I have been taking excruciating pain to read Rudy appologists on this BBS time and again. Yesterday, I broke some chinese for Rudy. (Thank you). I have not broken anything for a game for a long long time. Today, I want to de-mystify Rudy ball and call out all those Rudy appologists to eat their crow, right here.

A warning here. If you base your opinion on media such as newspapers, please skip this post.

Myth No. 1 - Rudy is a nice coach.
    "Rudy never criticizes his players in public." "Rudy is a player's coach." "Rudy always protects his players." etc. etc. Those are example spitouts from all walks of Rudy appologists. Here is the shocker. Rudy is actually a coach as hardass as the next coarch in the NBA. Let me translate some typical examples.
    (a) When a player (e.g. Cat) just played a very bad game, Rudy would say the opposite in some linguistic way in the media. In the men's world, it's worse than just say it as is. It's an ugly slap in your face. I played many games in which I just suck. Like what Mea Ham says: "On some days you are dominating, on other days you are struggling." But you gotta say as you see it. I would be exetremely embarressed if my coach says that when the whole world knows I sucked it up in that game.
    (b) What Rudy actually does when he is mad at a player for a bad game? If you are truely a Rockets fan, you should be very familiar with what DNP-CD means or cold bench feels. And that in my book is the ultimate slap-in-your-face.
    (c) If you are truly a Rucy appologist and a Yao fan, I dare you to pick up all Rudy has said about Yao to date in public and compare it with Rudy's game decisions on Yao. There are contraditions all over it. Rudy, that is, is not a sincere man. He is not a man that means what he says.

Myth No.2 - Rudy is a well respected coach in the NBA.
    I LMAO everytime I see this. I can only imagine it comes out of somebody that lives in the Rockets ivy tower. Repeat after me: Rudy commands no RESPECT around NBA. Rudy's emotional malaise was well documented in the NBA. The only evidence the Rudy appologists preach so is that Rucy is a player's coach. And that is already de-mystified above.

Myth No.3 - Rudy won two titles and what you want
    I want to vomit everytime I see this. REPEAT after me: 94 title was won by Hakeem The-King-of-Africa; 95 title was won by Hakeem with Commrade Glide. What I still can't recover is the fact that Hakeem only reached to the Finals twice and that only happened when a basketballer was trying to hit a ping-pong ball in AAA.

Now back to yesterday's game. Let's put all execuses aside and put on any of your athlete experience or coaching experience for a moment. Going to Dallas, you know what you must do:
    (a) control the board; and
    (b) establish the post.
    You have your biggest mismatch at 5. The only chance you have against Dallas, given what you have on hands, is to establish the post at all cost. You can't outgun Dallas and you can't outrun Dallas. And what old Nellie forgets about offense is what you will ever learn. Why establishing the post at all cost agaisnt Dallas? I am confident many Rockets fans see this as a no-brainer. What happened then? Yao played really well early on, blocks and turnovers notwithstanding. For a mysterious reason, the ball suddenly stopped going into the post. That beautiful Steve and Ming PnR mysteriously dissappeared. What was more amazing was that for a long period, TMo was our tallest baller on the court trying to outgun and outrun Dallas. And that happened when the game was still close. After that, just downhill. What the f*ck with that? Do you think you are playing the Houston Comics?

I need to catch a breath now. I just want to vomit.

12. jxu777

40:59 at half and you called it a good defense. Did Rockets play good defense without Hakeem man the middle? What's the difference this season? You are just another typical Rudy appologist moron. And banning a poster on criticizing Rudy? As low as DoD?

13. jxu777

Let me give you the ultimate trade idea. Trade Rudy to Florida for Larry Bird. If Bird is still lazy on his sandy beach, then trade Rudy to Philly for Larry Brown and Kenny Thomas.

14. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

A assessment of our dfefense based on 1 game...who's the moron? Or maybe the question should be, who's the reincarnated troll?

15. montelwilliams

Rudy is an above average coach at best. The problem is that there aren't many better coaches out there. A good coach is a rare find these days. Replacing Rudy with another mediocre coach will not improve the team.

16. rocketsrulz

rocketsrulz Member

Agreed.:D

17. jxu777

A game? Did you read English? Are you a Rockets fan? Then tell me when the Rockets played good defense without Hakeem man the middle. Then tell me again what's the coincidnece this season. A troll? Watched hundreds of Rockets game and you call me a troll? What the f*ck are you from?

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Why do people keep saying this?

Look at the list of successful NEW coaches:
    Thomas-Indiana
    Carlisle-Detroit
    Scott-New Jersey
    McMillan-Seattle
    Rivers-Orlando

Even Portland has found some success with Muarice Cheeks. Then there is Hubie Brown who came out of retirement, and maybe Larry Bird will too.

19. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Originally posted by jxu777
    rocket113,

The first thing in the morning, I wanted to start a thread "Rudy appologists, eat your crow here!". ...

We don't eat crow because of 2 games against top-ranked teams. It takes a dolt to vacillate like that.

I watched the Rockets and Rudy ball since 94.

Whoop-di-do.

Wow, you could be 14, 15, maybe 16 years old. Oh my.

...I just want to vomit.

Just wanted to post so everyone can share what you're feeling..eh?

20. javilo

javilo Member

I dont think Rudy should be fired but that he should Start being a coach and not everyones friend, He is too close with the players and the players dont fear him. Example is Phil Jackson, All of the lakers players no that if they dont move the ball that they will be sitting on the Bench. Rudy needs to get it across that ISO will not be tolerated and that Ball movement is a must. And the offense should always go through your Big man.