1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FIRE RUDY T!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocket113, Jan 21, 2003.

1. RocketGuy3

RocketGuy3 Member

One of the things Rudy used to draw heat for was getting in player's faces too much and embarrassing them in public... wasn't a good relationshipt builder. So you're probably just seeing how he treats them on the court now that he's changed. God knows what he says behind closed doors, but the fact that he doesn't do that anymore could be signs that he wants to change for the better of his team.

2. trebla

trebla Member

Totally agree...why doesn't he play Yao Ming in the second half of Mavericks embarrassing ass whippin?

when we had hakeem, he does opposite, just throw the ball in the post and let him shoot every shot.

WHERE'S THE CREATIVITY...!!

3. houstonkk

houstonkk Member

I say give Rudy another 3 weeks.

4. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I would not be so cocky guy! And one more thing, do u really think that comparing this year's team with all the talent on it with last year's, which by the way had many injuries and was never together, is a fair comparison? Try comparing them to the team of 2 seasons ago. The one we almost made the playoffs in.

5. cmellon

cmellon Member

Wonder why DoD has let a 9-post poster to open a Fire Rudy Thread for so long. Maybe Will will have a different opinion.

6. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I say give you another week.

7. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

That team 2 years ago had a completely different roster so you really can't compare.

What makes you think this years team is really all that talented? Don't you read the threads here? Everyone hates Francis and Cuttino. They think Yao has hit the wall. They think Rice is over the hill and hope he never plays ago. They think Cato is, well, Cato. They think Griffin is a bust.

To me that doesn't seem like talent...according the the experts here anyway. :cool:

8. eman

eman Contributing Member

Keep Rudy. Get him some help. Get Murph to coach free throws and outside shooting. Get some X & Os help on the bench: Dunleavy? Bring Pete Karrill (sp?) in for a consult? Any suggestions?

It would be nice to acquire Gary Payton, if only we could, to have a coach on the court. I think it's the players'--not Rudy's--basketball IQ to blame for our dribble-out-the-shot-clock-and-heave (no kidding) half-court offense.

Even if none of the above is done, I believe the team will slowly improve with experience.

9. cptcrunch

cptcrunch Member

It's good to support the team but I don't feel sorry for the coaches and players for these comments. Most of us here are problably middle class citizens and how much money to we have to fork out to see a Rockets game. I know the couple of games I went to I paid about 45 dollars a ticket to sit in the noise bleed section with an obsrtucted view. We pay extra money for the NBA pass so we can see our favorite teams. We pay 80 bucks for a jersey while they reep all the benefits. They get the big bucks and we pretty much are the reason why they get the big bucks. So if they are not producinig they should here it from us. How much money would NBA players and coachers get if we stopped paying the ridiculous amount of money for tickets, jerseys, shoes? Well since we do pay, we have the right to say.

10. cptcrunch

cptcrunch Member

with that out of the way. I'd like to see Rudy finish his career as a Houston Rocket. He has always been a Rocket and he is a legend. I'd like to see him win another championship and then retire. I agree with the person who said maybe Rudy shoud surround himself with better assistant coaches.

11. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

I think you complain a little too much. My $13 seats in section 203 give you a perfectly good view of the court. Maybe you are used to going to high school basketball games, but even the $10 seats (nosebleed) at Compaq are pretty good compared to most stadiums.

12. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

YES! I like the guy, and I've supported him, but he really does need to be replaced. Time for a change.

13. angelcds

angelcds Member

yes

yes I agree, they played slopy and he didn't acknowledge it. You have start setting higher standards with younger players, he didn't have to do that with Clyde, Dream, or Barkley ever. They all had high std. for themselves, to play at a high level all the time for the team to succeed, not for stats, or individual play. Dont' get me wrong Steve/Cat have both matured alot in decision making, but their still young, which is where coaching comes into play. Rudy hass to take timeouts better, strategize offense, and stabilize the lineups, and for god sakes stop jerking around Eddie Griffin, he is only 20. He gets 2 fouls he sits the rest of the game??? What is it that Terrance Morris excels at? to play so many minutes? He's alright, but no better than Eddie. Eddie and Maurice are your future and Nucleus why waste time and mintues on a journeyman??? Yes, we need more assistants, they do nothing, I've watched them, 911 Dell Harris, or anybody with sound basketball skills in coaching x's and o's please, cause we don't have any, someone to calm down Rudy because sometimes he gets into the game so much he acts like a fan.

14. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

This is just one of many ridiculous posts I've seen here. Don't they have a site for Lakers fans somewhere else? Who the heck do you think coached us to two championships in a row??? I'm a loyal Rockets fan and give Rudy T my complete support. If you people who are doggin' Rudy think you are so freakin smart, why aren't you coaching an NBA team? I guess if you had it your way, you would run Ming into the ground in the first half of the season...leaving him exhausted for the playoffs.
    This is a very young Rockets team and will only get better with time. Have a little patience. The championships will come once this team has a chance to gell - it won't happen this year, but it will happen. BELIEVE IT!

Never underestimate the heart of a champion.

15. Kiki

Kiki Member

It always amazes me how low the average IQ is in this country. And the examples on this board are from those that can actually figure out how to use a computer! Imagine how dumb some Rockets fans are that don't know how to post!

It never fails on this board, that after a Rockets' loss, somebody HAS to post a thread about how bad Rudy is. It's as if the Rockets are supposed to win every game by 20, and if they don't, something has gone cataclysmically wrong with how Rudy coached the game. This is the NBA, people. The Rockets have some good talent, but so does every other team in the league (except Cleveland ;) ). Only the teams with amazing talent and/or chemistry can expect to win consistently in this league (i.e. Lakers, Mavs, Kings). The fact that the Rockets' nucleus has only been playing together less than a year, and they are already winning more than they are losing is an incredible feat in my book. And alot of the credit for that can and should be attributed to the coaching staff.

For the sake of arguement, let's consider a successful season as making the Conference Finals (no, not the Rox this year, but for any team in general). Then look at the past 10 years and all the teams that have made the conference finals. If you can find me more than 1 or 2 teams(out of 40) who's nucleus was not playing together more than 2 years prior, I'll be amazed. Give this team a chance to gel, and I believe they will definitely be a contender for a spot in the CF's by 2005. Any higher expectations, and you can probably expect to be disappointed, no matter who the coach is. That's just the nature of the NBA.

ps - Keep a look out after the next loss for the next "fire Rudy" thread. it never fails...

16. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Originally posted by Kiki
    ... Imagine how dumb some Rockets fans are that don't know how to post!

Actually, I think that implies ignorance, not stupidity.

ps - Keep a look out after the next loss for the next "fire Rudy" thread. it never fails...

Or the next win...they scurry for cover.

17. JamesC

JamesC Member

Thats what I've been tryin to say.

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Forgetting Rudy just for a minute -- it has been my experience that a coach who is demonstrably in position will outproduce, over the long haul, the coach who is either waiting to find another job or get ousted from his present position.

The Rox' players know they have to deal with Rudy. That is a good thing. He's not going anywhere so either they finally get it right or they punch their ticket to tradesville.

Go Rudy. I mean, stay, Rudy.

19. RocketGuy3

RocketGuy3 Member

Hehe, clever... I know, pointless post, just thought you deserved some props for such Rockets-supporting wit. :D

20. jh3lau

jh3lau Member

Fire Rudy T now....Seriously

He couldn't coach....he doesn't know his X and O.
    he has no control of his team...

He's more like lenny wilkens.....and look at the raps now

We need a discipline coach like pat riley.
    Bring in Jeff Van Gundy.......