1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When did you start following the Rockets? Earliest memories?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htownbandit, Sep 9, 2012.

1. prs325

prs325 Member

Remember the days when Akeem used to wear those beige stockings? I thought he was gonna start a trend back then...

2. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

I remember starting watching the Rockets sometimes in the early '90s at my Great Grandmother's house. I played along with them on one of those door goals. Seems like every game was against Utah...and not surprisingly, my hatred of them came naturally. I didn't become a TRUE Rockets fan until after Jordan retired (sorry!) the first time. Haven't looked back since. I watch every second of every game.

Cool side note: my best friend's sister worked for the Rockets during the championship years, so I got to go kiss the actual trophies. Well, that was cool until I thought about my lips being where Sam Cassell's big sweaty lips had been. We also had access to player's phone numbers (she dated a handful of them) and players clothes (she dated a handful of them). My friend wore Horry's NBA socks for several years.

Anyway, yeah, go Rockets!

3. sw847

sw847 Member

Has to be the early stevie franchise era...good times...

4. htownbandit

htownbandit Rookie

A friend of mine had a crush on Robert Horry, and when she moved into a house, out of all the people in the world Horry helped her with her boxed and bags. LOL and she told me her friend lived in the apartment right above Hakeem's and would do laundry together. :p

5. htownbandit

htownbandit Rookie

^^^^^ The Hakeem thing was around Phi Slamma Jamma time, not the Championship years of course. I think Olajuwon was able to afford a nice home by the time Horry came along hehe

6. YDoof2

YDoof2 Member

When Jeremy Lin joined the Rockets. Before I was a Knicks fan. :) jk

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

"There it is......there it is......there it is......THERE IT IS!!!!!"

8. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

1993. I remember game 7 and losing a close game to Seattle. I cried. I was 9 ;) My dad said there's always next year :grin:

9. binvegas

binvegas Contributing Member

Day 1 When they left San Diego over 40 years ago.

10. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

I used to go to half price games on Sunday afternoons at the Summit with my dad when I was a kid. Watched Robert Reid, Billy Paultz, and Mo Malone

11. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I also became a fan around that era....1981 to be more precise
    watching Leavell,Reid,Malone and "The Whopper" Billy Paultz!...:grin:
    They lost the Finals to the Celtics in 6 games that year...:mad:
    and I've been riding the wave ever since....

12. Bob

Bob Member

I don't remember too much of the early years. There wasn't much worth noting until 75-76. The big event was trading away Elvin Hayes in 1972. That ticked a lot of fans off.

13. BleedsRocketRed

1992, Was about 10-11 years old. Ever since then its been like a religion for me

14. FanOnGessner

FanOnGessner Member

Grandparents were season ticket holders all through the 90's and the glory years. My earliest memory is probably around 95 when Clyde and Hakeem were ballin and guys like Kenny the Jet Smith were playin for us too. Granted, I was only about 5 or 6 years old and I barely remember anything except being at a big game. I'm 22 now and a diehard fan and plan to get season Tix of my own very soon.

15. cuneo77

cuneo77 Contributing Member

1990-1991 season. ive played since 88 or so and watched parts here and there

id watch arsenio hall (haha) and itd always be pre empted because of the game.

so i started to watch little by little and would keep track of how their doing, then i saw us go on a 13 game winning streak and then my friend's dad had an extra ticket to the season finale vs denver. I was hooked!!

1991 playoffs,super hooked

16. Nash

Nash Member

1972 or '73 , hard to remember all of the details except remember Big E getting traded..

17. rednation98

rednation98 Member

2008.im really young
    :grin:

18. rednation98

rednation98 Member

my earliest memory is the 2008 rockets get eliminated by LA.:mad:

19. htownbandit

htownbandit Rookie

Lol anybody here old enough to witness the Rockets beating the Knicks in the playoffs...... In 1975? :)

20. Greg M

Greg M Member

I was 11 in the '85-'86 season. We had courtside seats at the Summit watching the one and only Twin Towers against the hated Celtics. That's enough to make any person a fan for life. Well, and watching Dream's career and the two championships help as well.