1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When did you start following the Rockets? Earliest memories?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htownbandit, Sep 9, 2012.

1. htownbandit

htownbandit Rookie

Self explanatory thread. For me, it'd be right after the Rockets won the '94 championship and everybody was talking about them. Before then I wasn't really into sports, I was (and to an extent, still sort of am lol) into video games, TV and movies. When the Rockets won the '95 title I was a fan for life. It's been a rough ride since then, but we had some good moments. How about you all?

2. bustanut82

bustanut82 Member

I started watching the Rockets during in the 1990-1991 season. That team had Bullard, Maxwell, Thorpe, Smith, and Olajuwan. I found early success as a sports fan enjoying the Rockets two championships in the early 90s. Now in my late 20's, I have moved away from Houston but still find time to keep daily tab on the Astros, Texans, and Rockets.

3. dialtone888

dialtone888 Rookie

The day I became a CF member.
    None

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Later '70s.
    Mike Dunleavy scored the 135th point in a game giving the fans free chicken.

5. amaru

amaru Member

McGrady and Yao trying to figure out how to play off of each other .....then the injuries. :eek::(

6. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Honestly I became a big and dedicated fan in 2009 I think? When Kevin Martin first joined the team. That year was also the year I became a die-hard Texans fan, when I was in 7th grade I think. That was a pretty magical year for me, I had never cared and rooted for my teams as hard as that year. Both teams were very under the radar and underrated, and none of my friends were fans which made it all the more fun to watch, wanting to prove everyone wrong. Idk, back then the Texans passing offesne was amazing and the Texans had tons of exciting games (many close losses). I'd still take that type of team over the current Texans who blowout their opponent half of the games (not to mention all the bandwagoners.)

Since that was kind of my first true experience with the Rockets, that is why I was and still am so attached to Scola, Aaron Brooks, Kevin Martin. Those are my classic Rockets. Maybe it was just because I wasn't on Clutchfans but maybe the fan base was happier? Idk. But now I'm getting that nostalgic feeling haha. I miss those classic teams.

7. jvu

jvu Member

Honestly i lived in cali and was a die hard jordan fan. I also liked the 90s hornets with rice/LJ/morning.. Also i enjoyed the 90s Olajuwon days.. I got really hooked in Yao years because I'm Asian and I've never seen one impact the NBA as he did. It was inspiration Bcuz I quit 9th grade basketball didn't think I was good enough. I was a good player but not great and much less physically gifted. To see Yao do it just made it look like any Asians can do it. Anyway, Ives been a fan of the rockets since 2003ish and now a die hard fan since '07. Go rockets!

8. alethios

alethios Member

Late 70s - I got into basketball in high school (CCHS, League City), though I wasn't on a team...just played all the time. Back then it was Moses Malone and Calvin Murphy. I never forget how odd Moses Malone's foul shots looked but still went in.

9. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

05 i think......:confused:

10. delishman

delishman Member

2001. Year of Yao.

Bring back James Posey.

11. Jet036

Jet036 Member

Lucky for me, my mom, like most Americans, is a bandwagon fan so she watched most Rockets games during the 93-95 seasons. Being 5 years old, I wanted to do most things my mom did so I watched most games with her. Ever since then I've been a diehard fan.

12. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

1st Game was while their home was in San Diego, California! (not a Fan)
    1st Game in Houston was was in 1982 (not a fan) mostly interested in the U of H.
    1983 Big Fan........................:p

13. Know Your Role

86' Finals.
    Me: 'Why arn't the Rockets winning dad, we have Akeem and Ralph'
    Dad: 'Well you see son, the Celtics have Kevin Mchale, the dirtiest player in the history of the league. So Kevin gets to do whatever he wants and the Celtics win'

You guys should of seen the grimace on my dad's face when I told him who the Rocket's new coach was last year. He still has nothing positive to say about Mchale.

14. lean

lean Member

I was born in 88 and raised on Houston sports. Earliest memories are the two championships and also Eddie Johnson's huge shot.

15. Jacinto

Jacinto Member

Watching the Rockets play the Warriors on channel 44 in the bay area in '83 Rockets had LLoyd and Wiggins and John Bach was the head coach of the Warriors

16. lean

lean Member

Also I can vaguely remember attending a game in 92 or 93, my first Rockets game in person, against the Bulls and MJ.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Super Sonics. Ugh

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

When jeremy lin signed in 2012

Linsanity supa good. Better than derrick rose. Faster than usain bolt

Go jeremy lin yayayyaya

19. Pokito1120

Pokito1120 Member

I began watching the rockets in 99, the buzz around us having Hakeem Barkley and Pippen had the city shaking...Im became a HUGE fan of the Rockets when Steve Francis arrived in Houston. He is still me favorite basketball player

20. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Born in 93, sadly my first real memory is Francis dribbling the clock out.