1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Brooks Playing Himself out of Rockets Uniform?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Mar 1, 2010.

1. jzmagic

jzmagic Member

Look at their front court defenses though. We don't have the luxury of shot blockers and good defenders in our front court at the moment. At the moment, we should be focusing more on strengthening our front court by adding a legit PF.

Lakers have Pau Bynum and Odom who are all giants and can block shots and create havoc with their length

Celtics had KG and Perkins who were excellent defenders in their championship run.

1 person likes this.
  2. towW

towW Member

It's not all about how many points you put on the board it's about winning and when you have 3 high caliber scorers already with a PG with a bright future. That is an offensive juggernaut with 2 specialty defense-men and a 7-6 beast.

I'd rather let scoring rest on the shoulders of proven players than young prospects(his role will probably be expanded eventually). And Scola was a vital piece when Yao was here.

Neither have to do with Yao coming or Brooks staying. They are different positions.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

my point is that we could already be at the top at scoring. If this team the rest of the season can average 105-107 pts a game, that's a very solid amount in the NBA, where the leaders are usually around 110. We dont exactly need another 20ppg scorer to move us up a few points.

4. ikedog34

ikedog34 Member

Morey would sooner go after another great pf than give up brooks. Bosh is elite, but i'd rather have brooks and a stoudamire or jefferson. There are other teams to deal with than the raptors.

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

y'all are really missing the point here. Im not saying we dont need multiple guys who can score. I'm saying we dont need multiple guys who are 20ppg scorers. There's a difference.

i'm not suggesting giving up brooks for a ben wallace type, where we'd be literally trading offense for defense. I'm suggesting giving up brooks for someone who may not be a high scorer, but still a capable scorer, but with defense.

6. towW

towW Member

My point is our efficiency will be out the roof if Yao comes back healthy and is able to change shots in the middle like he has in the past.

It would be lower risk keeping Brooks. His cost will not be max while being able to add another piece this summer to build for the future. It wouldn't be smart to run face first max out Bosh and have Yao break his foot again.

7. towW

towW Member

...while giving up Brooks.

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

not if teams jump at him. They'll have him in foul trouble in no time. That's why we need another big. We can't afford to have teams focusing on just getting yao out so they can have a free ride in the paint. He's going to improve our D in a big way, but he's still too stiff to avoid certain fouls.

If yao breaks his foot, wouldnt you want bosh already tied up, so then you can unload Yao next summer?

9. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Sac was the best at doing that. Remember when they traded Mitch Richmond for C Webb? Geez.

10. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

Lowry and Llull represent the future of the Rockets' PG. If you can get a Chris Bosh, you absolutely trade Brooks.

11. towW

towW Member

I'm thinking keep your young 20ppg Brooks. Wait on Yao next season. If he's not able to pull his load then we have a lot of space to get some pretty good players. Dwight, Melo if they aren't able to win or get close next year they'll be looking around for a max contract.

12. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

That is a HUGE IF... One that I would be afraid to bet on..

13. towW

towW Member

yeah and that's a huge 17.7 million dollars sitting on the bench. If he doesn't come back healthy and we trade away a young for a trip to the championship with maxing out Bosh then only have it back fire on us and have Yao on the bench closing up cap space.

14. towW

towW Member

Then we have Raptors part 2 with slightly better role players.

15. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I totally agree....

16. Htown's2kFinest

word. rather have AB/martin/yao/amare than martin/yao/bosh

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

Very good point.

I don't believe that you go all in to win a championship in just one season. That way lies madness. You play to contend for it every season, over the long term. Since the playoffs are such a crapshoot that is what gives you the best chance of actually bringing one home.

18. I♥TheRockets

i dont know how it will play out but yao+martin+brooks or yao+martin+bosh both sound great to me

about their defense, with yao in the middle it will def ease the pain...

seriously though...

yao
    scola
    ariza
    martin
    brooks

is going to give everyone a fit... cant wait to see what happens at the draft and off season trades

if we trade up in the draft or make a big trade and end up with a bosh or someone over the summer... just wow

cant wait

19. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

For a moment, I thought our mythological lumberjack was playing in the NBA. (read: Paul Bunyan). lol

20. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

This. Yao is godly good, but if we cannot depend on this man's health. It would take a long leap of faith to do so.