1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming out (UPDATE: Yao's season is OVER)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vator, Feb 26, 2008.

Tags:
  1. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Nope it says he is out for the season as well as post season play...

2. Bob Monkeyson

Bob Monkeyson Member

unfreakin believable, just went on ESPN to check out some of the headlines and I read that Yao's out for the season and then I come here....why does this always have to happen???? can't Yao just have one full good season, he's only missed 1 game so far b/c of the respiratory infection......and we're on a 12 game winning streak!!! one of the worst possible times to get injured like this, especially when it's short notice. I didn't even know that he was injured before reading this

Well time for DEKE to come out and be the deke of old

3. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

I think this makes the season more special.......if we project negativity towards the team then they will fail. The city needs to stand behind them.....they have a winning mentality now......anything can happen. PEOPLE NEED TO STEP UP! I still have faith!

4. X-PAC

X-PAC Contributing Member

In the offseason this team is going to have to be reimagined. The Yao/Mcgrady era is over. There is no sensible reason to build this team around this duo anymore. We're going to need guys around this tandem with the capability to lead. One way or another we're going to need another star.

Of course the cheaper route would be to rebuild. :(

5. solid

solid Contributing Member

I feel like I have had a giant brick fall on my head. I have no other comment at this time. :(

6. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Just watched the press conference on abc13.com. This has been bothering Yao since the All-Star game. They thought it was a sprain. they did not expect to find this type of injury. And yes, I believe the doctors because numerous NBA big men past and present have had this type of injury. No one is to blame - it's just an unfortunate course of events.

7. monkeyboy32

monkeyboy32 Contributing Member

OMFG if I wasn't at work I'd drink until I pass out I'm so depressed :(

8. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Wow... I could seriously cry. :(

9. vitak

vitak Member

Let's believe that T-Mac can make something happen!

10. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

It is 3.40 am here. I checked GARM at the absolute WRONG F****** TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How am I ever going to get any sleep again......

11. RocketRedd45

RocketRedd45 Member

Wow I seriously could not believe my eyes when I first saw the article. What a low blow this was, things were going so well and the worst thing that could possibly happen, happens.
    It's time for Deke, Scola, and Landry to really show us what we are made of. It's either time to switch to small ball, or give Deke some minutes to clog the middle and be a defensive presence, if there is still gas in his tank. Damnit damnit :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :( :( :( :(

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The Rockets need to take precautionary tests, monthly, for Yao. Saying "We thought it was just a sprain" is not a very good excuse, knowing full well about Yao's history and the general history of big men in this league.

13. ThaBlackKnight

Its time for us to see what Luis Scola is really made of. Last year, we were able to go 20-12 without Yao and having Mutombo and Juwan Howard fill in for him at center.

I'm still optimistic because we are better prepared for an injury to Yao. Scola is atleast a low post threat with his back to the basket. He took it to Dwight Howard, Tyson Chandler and Amare Stoudamire twice over the summer. I believe he avg near 20 ppg against those 3 guys. Lets see what he's made of.

Also lets not forget about Tmac's performance last year when Yao went out. He avg. 28 ppg, with 7 apg, and 6 rpg. He is still a top ten talent in the league and can score with the best of them.

Carl Landry has emerged as a good young power forward, and I think he is a HUGE upgrade over Juwan Howard now.

Rafer has been playing the best basketball of his career now, so that helps. Plus Bobby Jackson will help the Rockets really play Rick Adelman's offense.

And if needed, Mutombo and Hayes can play killer defense.

Yao will most definetily be missed, but I think this team is much more prepared now to deal with that. I think we can still make it out of the 1st round.

14. Starscream

Starscream Member

If Houston decides to breakup this core than I believe there are still alot of teams particulary the west coast teams that will give alot for Yao. Many of them still see his marketing power rather than a championship BB type move.

The west coast teams will still give up alot to get the guy. I don't think Houston will lose out on that trade. Mcgrady will get somehting but not as much.

15. rockets > *

rockets > * Member

word. mac has the power and the desire to carry this team for a long stretch when yao is out like last season. it aint over till its over...

16. skypower

skypower Member

I hate Yao's feet. He needs to amputate and get titanium feet.

17. senorbueno

senorbueno Member

18. tsunami

tsunami Member

holy crap! I blame this to Rockets doctors!!!!! They are so late to find this.

19. X-PAC

X-PAC Contributing Member

Well I wouldn't advocate dealing Yao. I wouldn't mind keeping both on I just feel that if they do so we're going to need another player that can fill in.

20. Humer

Humer Member

Amen Brother!