1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Manu on Scola and Rockets excerpt from article written in LANACION.com on 07/27/07

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jsmee2000, Aug 1, 2007.

1. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

Here is a very short excerpt from an article in an Argentinean newspaper call LANACION.

“I want to go…and am going to Beijing”
    By Miguel Romano

article link

<b>Let’s talk about the NBA: the west is getting tougher every year, especially with the addition of Oden in Portland, Durant in Seattle, and Scola in Houston. Does this mean that it will be difficult for the Spurs to be repeat champions?</b>

- Every year I have a rotten feeling because the west is getting better! Every year it’s the same. However, by all means, I am very happy for Luis, who will finally realize his dream. In addition, Houston is the closest NBA city to San Antonio and since we are in the same division we will face each other four times during the regular season. Therefore, I am happy because I am sure that Luis and I will see a lot of each other. Also, we could get together during some of our free time that might overlap. But in terms of the west, I am sure that it will be tough this year.

<b>Has Houston always been a tough rival for the Spurs?</b>

- Yes, they have always been a tough match-up. They have very good defense, along with the impressive talent of Tracy McGrady and the tall Yao Ming. We were very excited when Utah eliminated them from the playoffs.

<b>What advice would you give to Scola?</b>

- It is always a mystery how things will work out for you in the NBA. He has great potential as a player and to become an all-star, but he will have to do everything with patience and tranquility. There is not need to pressure him, nor have high goals and expectations from him. If he becomes a success from the start, he shouldn’t believe that he has succeeded. In the NBA everything is changing all the time and you have to maintain a sharp state of mind all year long.

<b>Do you feel that Scola is coming with more name recognition than you or Nocioni?</b>

- It could be, but you must consider that Luis has been one of the best players of Europe for five years, and three times the MVP of the Spanish league. By the time when we stood out, he already had more trophies than us. But I repeat we shall not pressure him, we have to leave him alone and let him do his work.

END OF ARTICLE

My favorite part is when he talks about the Rocks and their elimination from the playoffs. It make me think that we may have had a chance against SA in the conference finals had we beat Utah in the first round. Oh well...it is all in the past and we only can focus on the future. Talking about the future...will we still be a tough match up for the SA Spurs considering that our defense may not be as strong as last season? Many unanswered questions...

Man, I can wait for the season to start!!!

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Threads like this are the reason why this BBS exists.

3. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Thanks, I enjoyed that.

4. wrestler4life

wrestler4life Member

Interesting read. I have high hopes that Scola can really help us, especially under Adelman's new offense.

5. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

manu knows what is up. that was why the playoffs was so frustrating. we def. would have taken the spurs to 7 games.

6. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Yea, I talked to some knowledgeable Spur fans and they told me the same thing as what Manu said, they wanted no part of facing the rockets in the playoffs. They were also very relieved to see Bonzi quit towards the end of the season, he is the one player outside of T-Mac and Yao that really scared them.

7. lastopsuburb

lastopsuburb Member

Manu has respect for the rockets, unlike that Josh Howard ass hole from the Mavpricks

8. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

i don't think manu has respect for our bench either. howard has respect for our core players, he just doesn't know anyone from our bench

9. rumcoke

rumcoke Member

bahahahahaha!

10. vator

vator Contributing Member

Great find. Thanks.

11. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Good to hear...now we have 3 players other than yao and mac who scare them. francis, james and bonzi. 4 if you add scola who much like the other 3 still has a lot to prove.

12. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

i thought spurs were excited whenever it was annouced who will be the officiating they're games

13. battousai

battousai Member

Honestly, I always had that thought what if we made it pass the Utah in the first round. We have a realistic chance of beating the Spurs.

oh well, thanks to van gundy, i guess...

14. rumcoke

rumcoke Member

Oh yeah, because of course everything was JVG's fault

15. WNBA

WNBA Member

damn Jazz.

16. Jd1

Jd1 Member

Obviously, the players were playing gr8;
    Obviously, JVG wasn't doing it right

17. scola

scola Member

Thanks that was a nice translation.

Just a little correction: Manu says Luis could get to be a starter, not an all-star.

Again, thanks.

18. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

After we were eliminated last year by the Jazz, onething went up to my head and that is "Spurs was so relieve that they will not face the Rockets in the playoff". :mad: Thanks a lot JVG!

19. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

Thanks, I haven't slept much lately that one must have escaped my mind.
    jsm

20. Rover16

Rover16 Member

We had a bench last year? Could have fooled me!