1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Manu on Scola and Rockets excerpt from article written in LANACION.com on 07/27/07

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jsmee2000, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

In the article, jsmee2000 translated for us, it says he could become an all-star ...

So, are you saying jsmee2000's translation is incorrect, and that it should say "starter," instead of "all-star?"

2. scola

scola Member

That's right, Sherlock :D

Not a big deal.

3. busta_cap

busta_cap Contributing Member

Ginobli the YOH. Who knew? ;)

4. The Brian

The Brian Member

rofl.

i noticed this, too.

yao gonna tear 'em up this year. :mad:

5. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Hmm... so clearly the Spurs were happy they ended up having to face Utah instead of us.

Grr...

6. wucool33

wucool33 Member

lol clearly, some1 does not read the thread very carefully...

7. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

The Spurs knew that the Rockets have Yao Ming in the Middle. He could have monster games and ne equal. Remeber that Tim Duncan doens't usually guard him.

Sure, the Spurs would have been favored; but anytime you have Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady sprinkled with Battier a series could have gone any way, granted that Head, Alston, or Howard could have gotten hot from the field.

But it's all water under the Bridge now.

Scola vs. Boozer!!! Utah has no chance because someone will actually play defense on Boozer while making him work on the defensive end.

8. Coca Cola Scola

We get articles from Argentina, Dubai, China, and the boonies....I'm impressed. Clutch BBS is such a nice site for Rocket fanatics.

As far as the Spurs being scared of us: Like the j*zz, I think they would have figured out that there are only 2 great forces capable of scoring consistently on our team. The nail was put in our playoff coffin when Bonzi wasn't part of our playoff roster. But, the first round loss was a blessing in disguise because up until then the whole front office was in this denial face of "we just need a few tweaks"...dont' mess with the core b.s. The heartbreak got splashed cold reality and Morey has been on a tear to completely remake the team, not just do a cosmetic job.

For those who have seen Scola extensively, I have a question about his defense and rebounding. Some articles say he's physical, agressive...and puts forth a lot of effort on defense.. But, I also noticed that he doesn't have that many blocks and his rebounding is solid (but not spectacular). Other posters here have mentioned that he's not a good defender...so I'm not sure what picture to have of his defense. Of course, blocks isn't a sole indicator of defense because he could be one of those good position defenders who doesn't let their man get easy shots and also be a smart help defender. I'm just wondering what's your take on his defense? Can he be a rugged smart defender that makes opponents uncomfortable. I would love it if he came here and just irritated the hell out of the guys he's defending.

9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Whether or not Yao contributed much in the Jazz seriesmakes no difference. Manu Ginobilli is not on the Jazz. He was commenting on the Rockets in general. So regardless of how well you think Yao played the Jazz in the playoffs, Manu is still basically just calling Yao a tall player, purposefully seeming to go out of his way to NOT compliment Yao.

Look, I didn't need this comment to continue disliking Manu, but I'll take notice when someone gives a backhanded compliment like this, and it warrants being pointed out.

10. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Ginobili thinks Scola has great potential merely to be a starter? Hmm, that doesn't sound like a raving assessment. But then again, Ginobili himself is not a starter on the Spurs team, so what do I know ...

11. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

I disagree, the spurs would win 4-0. They would have used that same defense they played in the first game of the season. Everytime Yao touch the ball 3 players would surround him. When Mcgrady had the ball a double team would come and when the rockets passed to the shooters the spurs would get back to the shooters. Another thing is the rockets had no bench. They would employ this defense towards the end of 3rd quarter - 4th quarter and shut the rockets down.

12. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

In a friendly game of Argentina vs. Uruguay...
    Luis Scola scored 13 pts and 7 rebounds. Delfino stole the show!
    No boxscore so I have no indication of how many minutes played, blocks or fouls. Next stop is Spain in two days for another friendly game.

link1
    link2

13. scola

scola Member

It was against a weakened Uruguayan team... so it wasn't a real measure of what the team or Scola can do. According to the reports, they played very relaxed, more like training than anything.

The match vs. Spain will not be against the Spanish 1st team (which is training to play the European bbl tournament) but against a B team.

The Argentine team, without most of its stars, is preparing for the Olympic qualifier, to be played in Las Vegas from August 22nd to September 2nd. USA is by far the biggest favorite, with Brazil second.

This is the Argentine team with all of its best players (in red, the ones who will not be playing in Las Vegas).

Oberto - Wolkowyski/J. Gutierrez
    Scola - G. Fernandez/L. Gutierrez
    Nocioni - Herrmann/Jasen/Kammerichs
    Ginobili - Delfino/Quinteros
    Sanchez - Prigioni/Porta

Scola and Delfino are the main stars of the team. And this tournament will be a good chance for many of you to watch Scola play for the first time.

14. WNBA

WNBA Member

Another thing is that Spurs own the REFs.

I remember there was a game Spurs coming back from 19 points behind. Now I seriously think that game was fixed by Refs.

15. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I think the reason is, Manu plays the same position (sg) as Tmac. So it is easier for him to make judgment about Tmac, and it is authoritative.

I remember Shaq said Yao, Duncan, and himself are best men in post, and it is also authoritative.

16. smeiou78

smeiou78 Member

Which is why I have nothing personal against SA, but I hate Dallas with every fiber of my being. :mad:

17. scola

scola Member

As I said in a previous post, the exact translation would be:

"They have a very good defense, the impressive talent of Tracy McGrady and the height of Yao Ming. We became happy when Utah took them out in the playoffs."

I mean... whats wrong with that? :confused:

He is giving props to the Rockets...

18. manhore

manhore Member

Actually if he wanted to insult Yao, he wouldn't have mentioned his name AT ALL. The worst diss one gets is indifference like they don't matter. By naming McGrady AND Yao, he was referring to BOTH having EQUAL reason to avoid Rox in the playoffs. And it's a moot point anyway. Would I take Manu's opinion on Yao, or Shaq's? One is an ALL-TIME GREAT, and the other is a 6th man off the bench. Let me think about that one for a minute...

19. fanshike

fanshike Member

Totally Disagree.
    We got eliminated by Jazz last season. Yes, That's a tragic story. But everyone of Rockets should take their responsibility including T-Mac and Yao. Why just bash JVG?

Maybe his ability is not enough to bring Rockets a championship but he is definitely a nice man and a good(at least above average) head coach in this league. He prepared for every game in a meticulous way. He bought season tickets for Red-Rowdies. He defended Yao and got fined. He did a lot for our team. So please stop bashing him and say good luck to this man.

OK, about this thread ... Scola ....
    I had watch some FIBA games which Argentina National Team got involved. I was impressed by their teamwork. But NBA is a different story. We'd better watch him for a while and do not give him too much pressure.
    I believe the more expectations you have,the more disappointments you will get.
    Anyway, it's a good news to me if he is not another Swift.

[​IMG]

20. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Also found this on LANACION.

Was way too lazy to translate It myself.

http://translate.google.com/transla...fe=off&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=/language_tools

The ability, the speed, the talent and the experience are secondary attributes in the shining conditions that Luis Scola has to stand out specifically in NBA and in Houston Rockets, that finish contracting it by almost 10 million dollars until half-full of 2010.

If it were not by the imponderable ones of the sport, could put the hands in the fire by the success of the Buenosairean pivot. Their passion and winning mentality, the capacity of sacrifice, its perfeccionista spirit and intelligence to outside choose the ideal inside and of the field, can consider a guarantee for him and its new tax exemption.

Some of those virtues were exposed yesterday during a press conference that offered four hours after returning of Houston, where signed the contract, fulfilled several administrative proceedings, talked with their new coach, Rick Adelman, and knew the city, the stage and some companions. “The dream to arrive at NBA that to the 3 or 4 years was an utopia as a child, like the one of to be astronuata or actor, went transforming into an objective. Some years, when receso arrived, it cost to me to accept that it would not go to NBA and I passed it bad, but later understood that to be protagonist in Ceramic Tau he was not something to put itself sad. It could not bajonear to me. Then it thought that it was in a fantastic place, that any player would wish”, was one of the reflections that left in clear their psychic and mental strength.

“This step means an important change that it will cause an adaptation process. I must have patience because I am going away to find with many new things. And without a doubt that several worries to me, but no it scares to me. I am going to be where always I wanted. Now I want to learn and to know how to take advantage of the opportunities. I do not pay attention goals nor how much minutes it would have to play, only want to be better every day. I am convinced that with work everything is obtained”. Are not phrases copied of the manual of the best professional sportsman, are typically “made in Scola”.

The ten years (it has 27) of experience living single in Europe and competing with the best ones of the world, give to that gift of balance and criterion him so common in the Olympic Generation.

“San Antonio gained three titles after choosing to me in draft (2002), so I cannot think that they were mistaken when not incorporating to me. In addition, it is the equipment that better place setting has my position (by Tim Duncan). There is no doubt that the Spurs use behaved with me when doing of my rights very well and to transfer me to a direct rival. Surely that when he plays against them I am going to want to win to him, but he does not stop to demonstrate nothing”. An analysis of expert in public relations, without a doubt.

Luis thanked for the treatment that received in Vitoria (“he was thousand times better of the hoped one”), assured that he will return to Tau to take leave and accepted that “If did not go east year to NBA I believe that it never went more; I had had left in Tau”.

Of Houston he spoke little. It said that it talked only 10 minutes with Adelman, that admired of boy the perfeccionismo of a great pivot like Hakeem Olajuwon (two titles with the Rockets), who is happy “for playing next to two stars like Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady”, that liked the city and that it hopes to be able to help to have a good record of triumphs. Ah, and also that “could not have fichado by a better equipment”. Scola demonstrated that it has been NBA for short while. Surely of as much dreaming it and wishing it.