1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Manu on Scola and Rockets excerpt from article written in LANACION.com on 07/27/07

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jsmee2000, Aug 1, 2007.

1. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

we wouldnt have played the spurs in the conf finals because we wouldve been killed by the warriors. i seriously believe we wouldve been run out of oracle arena and lost by 60 points. yao would be coughing up a lung halfway in the first quarter, and t-mac would be walking up and down as the warriors drained 3 after 3.

2. AGBee

AGBee Member

Yeah...Golden State sure put a hurting on Utah...oh wait.

3. dischead

dischead Member

Please. If we couldnt beat The Jazz, we would not have stood a chance against the Spurs.

4. Coca Cola Scola

Hollinger projects Euro stats to how they will do in the NBA and he projected Scola as being able to be a starter immediately. Scola's skills seems like it would fit this team at least from the offensive end. This blog from Insidehoops said Scola was a gritty defender. I've only watched a few games of Scola, so I mostly noticed his offense. But, it did point out that Scola guarded Boozer and Elton Brand pretty well in international competition.

http://www.insidehoops.com/blogs/?p=62

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

My vision is for Scola to become a solid piece with the Houston Rockets. I have visions of him hustling, passing the ball, driving to the basket with reckless abandon, and bringing the much needed life the Rockets need in this team. With rather quiet leaders in Tracy and Yao, we need someone who will bring some aggresiveness and intensity to the basketball court, and I believe Scola will be this player. Scola is only twenty seven years of age, therefore he fits right in with the core of Yao Ming, Tracy McGrady, and Shane Battier (all between 26-28 years old).

As of now, it is pure speculation of what Scola will do for the Rockets, but as fans I think we have finally found the answer to the power forward position. We have two solid guys who will be willing to do the dirty work.

http://www.insidehoops.com/blogs/?p=62

I love reading this stuff. If he's close to meeting these expectations, we're going to love this guy.

6. yaominn

yaominn Member

so finally we have a pf can guard boozer and brand, attack the rim, shoot mid range j?

7. scola

scola Member

The Argentine team played another friendly game in the preparation for the Olympic qualifier. It was against a second rate Spanish team. (the Spanish team with all the stars is in Spain preparing for the European Tournament).

Argentina won 87-80. Argentina was always in control of the game, and the result doesn't really show the difference between the teams last night.

Scola was the top scorer of the game with 18 ponts in 26 min. He also grabbed 7 rebs.

8. Coca Cola Scola

What do you think of his defense Scola? Is he a gritty defender as the blog says?

9. scola

scola Member

He plays with energy, but is an average defender for European standards. Gets in foul trouble too often. I don't think he will be a liability, but he won't be the stopper of Duncan or Boozer that many want.

10. Coca Cola Scola

How does defense by European standards compare to NBA stadnards? I do remember that he did a good job guarding Boozer and Brand in international competition, but I haven't seen him over his entire career. Also, do you think Scola is a better defender than Juwan Howard, Chuck Hayes, and Fabricio Oberto?

11. scola

scola Member

Oberto is a smarter defender, who gets the job done.

I think Scola is "more willing" to defend than Juwan Howard if you know what I mean...

I really don't know how Chuck Hayes defends.

Is really difficult to tell how well a players ability will translate to the NBA.... but I think he will do a decent job in the defensive end.

12. Coca Cola Scola

As long as Scola is a solid defender and not a liability and uses all his effort when playing defense, then I'll be happy. Thanks for the insight. Not a lot of us get to see a lot of Scola. My impression of Scola is that he's a ver good low post player that can attack the rim and hit mid range shots. Do you think Scola can be a borderline all-star or better in the NBA?

13. scola

scola Member

I share your impression about his game.

No, he won't be an all star, but he will be a very good role player. Kind of what Nocioni does with the Bulls.

14. Coca Cola Scola

Whoa. If he could be a Nocioni-like role player at the power forward position for us, I would be ecstatic!!! :D The one thing I've noticed about the Argentinian players that come here is that almost all of them are smart, energetic, tough, team-oriented players who play hard and do what it takes to win. I hope Scola will continue that tradition.

15. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Cool read. I hope our team stays healthy all year and scares all teams....oh and wins a 'chip :D

16. scola

scola Member

I hope so too. And his career in Europe and with the National team makes me think that he will. Only time will tell.

And time is important here. All international players need time to adapt to the NBA. It seems that he will get the chance to play lots of minutes, and that will help him. But some players need a full season to finally being able to show his true abilities.

I think he will get critizised after his first matches with the Rockets, especially after all the expectation his arrival has created. And then, with more matches under his belt he is going to change peoples minds. Like Nocioni did with the Bulls fans, Oberto with the Spurs fans and Herrmann with the Bobcats fans.

17. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Argentina beats Spanish B -Team 87-80

Scola was the scoring leader with 18 points

[​IMG]

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Man, it is great seeing a long, energetic, and athletic Rockets PF who can drive to the hoop, drive and dish, and drive, stop and pop a jumper, like Scola. This is going to be a breath of fresh air, folks. Yes, it will take him time to get used to the NBA game, but I think Adelman is the perfect coach to bring him into the league. I really think we got lucky! :cool:

19. abc2007

abc2007 Member

How can you be so sure?! I think he has potential to be an all star.

20. scola

scola Member

Its just my opinion. what can I say? I have seen him play since before he turned 20. I love his game and is one of my favorite players. But I reckon he won't be a star in the NBA, but a role player. He is near his peak (if he is not at it already), so he doesn't have a lot of upside. If he was some inches taller or an extraordinary defender, then it would be different.

And getting to be an All Star in the west as a forward is almost impossible. It took Gasol (a much better player than Scola) quite a long time to get to be an All-star.

I'm optimistic of his future in the NBA. I think he will be a very good role player, who will be able give a valuable contribution to the Rockets.