1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Did trump propose cuts in CDC spending? Did he eliminate key departments? Did he then tell people it was going away magically? Did he compare it to the common flu?

If he didn't, who did?

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trump is the President and the primary job of the president is to lead. Part of leadership is to take responsibility. Even for the actions or lack of actions of those in your administration. Through this whole thing Trump has done a lot to not take responsibility. He’s blamed things on others while consistently exaggerating what little has been done. That’s the pattern of his not just his presidency but his life. Anything that goes wrong is someone else’s fault or it’s fake news. Anything that goes right even just a little bit is solely due to him and the greatest thing ever.

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

None of them are honest?

Htown Stros likes this.
  4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

<<Comment on Mitch the Destroyer redacted.>>

Andre0087 likes this.
  5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Then why are you always defending him?

justtxyank likes this.
  6. foh

foh Member

Why do you think other countries haven't banned flights to Europe? Likely, because it has limited impact compared to testing and monitoring entries and whatever else the various other countries are doing. I read there being research that pointed to that same fact.

I know it seems straightforward and I actually agree that it makes sense to close down transport communication for the initial point in time when there are no cases within the country and there is only one or few hot spots in the world. But at this point, it seems to be more of a political stunt given that Trump is not stopping Americans from going to Europe (and back) and is exempting UK for no good reason.

On your point of whether we should hold him accountable for other peoples' mistakes, I bet we would've held any president accountable. Especially a president who decided that he was going to control the messaging instead of conveying a sense of urgency and teamwork among federal agencies. This is a president who is super vindictive and who also got rid of a bunch of epidemiology expert teams within the government (likely because they were Obama instituted), If you knew your CEO wanted certain messages, wanted to look good no matter what and was prone to firing people on a whim, you'd probably think twice before doing/saying something that the CEO might find contrary to his liking. Like Pence or somebody in the administration said, the response to a crisis like this starts from the top..

#1566 foh, Mar 12, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  7. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Bernie today compared potential deaths to WW2...anyone who thinks any of these politicians, regardless of democrat vs. republican, aren’t full of s*** needs to do some actual thinking and research.

body slam and Two Sandwiches like this.
  8. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

LOL thanks for helping make my case that they’re (and I mean both parties here) all full of s***.

body slam and mick fry like this.
  9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

#1569 Sweet Lou 4 2, Mar 13, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    No Worries, joshuaao and AleksandarN like this.
  10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

He doesn’t like like him as a man, but as a tax break giver, bring it on.

11. mick fry

mick fry Member

12. mick fry

mick fry Member

The left more than the right though. :)

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes hateful racists like yourself. That is your kind. You display your hate very well right here.

The people (like you) who support labeling this a "Chinese Virus" are not stupid - they know it will make people hate Chinese people and that's part of your agenda. It's easy to see through

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenophobia_and_racism_related_to_the_2019–20_coronavirus_pandemic

AleksandarN likes this.
  14. mick fry

mick fry Member

Poor Lou I feel sorry for you, you’ve been a victim your whole life and what a sad and miserable life you must lead.

15. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Why don’t you go back to your klansmen

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

congress was briefed that 70-150 million Americans will be infected over next 12 months. That means it could easily lead to over 1 million deaths in America alone.

RayRay10 and No Worries like this.
  17. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Will or could?

18. Major

Major Member

That's been discussed as a realistic worst case scenario. Other 2.2 R viruses have infected about 1/3rd of the world (Spanish Flu, for example). H1N1 was 1.7, I believe, and infected an estimated 1 billion. Put a 2 billion estimate on it with a 2% fatality rate, and you have 40 million dead.

Those previous viruses didn't have mass quarantines/etc, so hopefully it's stopped way earlier, and hopefully the fatality drops, but that's the worst-case scenario example.

Buck Turgidson and justtxyank like this.
  19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

good catch. It was a projection so obviously “could” as I doubt any scientist or doctor would be definitive about a number. I should have been more precise

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'm quoting this from another thread and posting it here because it fits better in this thread but...

This is one thing I think about when Trump supporters blame Coronavirus as some plot to destroy him...

A crisis like this is perfect for a president should he meet the moment. If you look at all of our most popular presidents, the one historians say are the best of the best, they were presidents in times of crises. Lincoln with the civil war. Washington with the founding of the country. FDR through the Great Depression and WW2, you can go down the list. Some presidents won't have that strong legacy because they took over a country that was doing just fine and they didn't have some big event to display their leadership skills.

Hell, even Bush saw a HUGE spike in approval after 9/11 because people felt he was doing the right thing (we know now it was not the right thing to do, but that's beside the point) and they felt like he handled an important moment of history correctly.

This was/is Trump's chance to show the country that he could handle a crisis...but he's bungled it all the way through. I hope, I really hope things turn around somehow but I feel like the cutting of funds, no healthcare for so many people, his mixed messages that it's already too late.

RayRay10, Two Sandwiches and arkoe like this.