1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 Senate Watch: Is it in play for Democrats

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Mar 6, 2020.

?

Will Democrats win control of the Senate in 2020?

Poll closed Jun 4, 2020.
  1. Yes, they will control 51+ seats

6 vote(s)
    19.4%
  2. 50-50 tie

5 vote(s)
    16.1%
  3. No, they will fall short

16 vote(s)
    51.6%
  4. I abstain, courteously

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Can the Democrats flip the Senate in 2020?

I said no a few days ago, but recent polling has me reconsidering this take.

They need to net 4 seats (which means they need to flip 5 probably after losing Alabama) for an outright majority of 51 seats and to net 3 if they have the presidency to have a 50-50 tie.

Here are the most interesting ones:
    Arizona
    Incumbent Republican Martha McSally (appointed) faces Democratic challenger Mark Kelly

Colorado
    Incumbent Republican Cory Gardner faces Democratic challenge (gov) John Hickenlooper

Maine
    Incumbent Republican Senator Susan Collins faces Democratic challenger Sarah Gideon

North Carolina
    Incumbent Republican Thom Tillis faces Democratic challenger Cal Cunnigham.

The most recent Cook Political Report now rates all 3 of these as "toss up" races.
    The most recent Public Policy Poling has Democrats holding a 4 point lead in EVERY one of these races (or better)

On top of these 4, Kentucky is surprisingly close (though I'd be stunned if Mitch loses that seat in a Trump year) and Georgia has two seats to defend while Kansas has an open seat. In a Democratic wave election it's definitely viable to see Kansas and 1 of the Georgia seats get poached as well.

So what do you think? Will Democrats win Senate control?

2. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I sure as hell hope so.

3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

RIP Doug Jones, but all seem winnable.

I can tell you Cal Cunningham is very popular here in NC. Fingers crossed.

FrontRunner likes this.
  4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I put no because the hate for Trump hasn't offset the love for him so far.

The diplomatic answer is... It depends on if the economy can look like it will recover from Corona mid year for people to continue to be hopeful of their green shoots job position and wage increases.

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

And it looks like Steve Bullock is poised to enter the Montana senate race versus steve daines...

joshuaao and No Worries like this.
  6. Major

Major Member

Add Montana to the list. And Kansas is fascinating because it looks like Kris Kobach is likely to win the GOP primary there. That led to a fairly mediocre Dem winning the governorship - not sure if Dems have recruited anyone good for the Senate, though. I don't think Trump-style politics plays well in Kansas, so who knows.

But that said, I think it's a repeat of a few of the last cycles where Dems come really really close in a lot of places they have no business winning, but then ultimately lose. With Biden on the ticket and Bullock in the picture, I think getting to 50-50 is about ... 50-50.

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Joni Ernst (R) of Iowa might also be on a hot seat.

8. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Voted No.

It's too large of a gap to overcome and the top of the ticket isn't inspiring people to get out and vote.

There are obviously various events that can occur to change this so hopefully I'm wrong.

9. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Like KG said. “Anything is Possible!!!!!!”

10. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

My best guess is 51-49 GOP.

King1 and Nook like this.
  11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Fully expect they'll narrow the gap. But going 4 for 4 is a big ask.

King1 and Nook like this.
  12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Young people have to actually VOTE instead of just talking about it on social media.

Rashmon and Space Ghost like this.
  13. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

You can not count on young people, it would be a nice bonus if they show up in large numbers, but you got to get the older people to come out for you.

#13 pirc1, Mar 6, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    FranchiseBlade likes this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I think so as well but I have a feeling a lot of people are gonna want to give a big FU to Trump in NOV and the wave could be historic.

On the other hand there could be some overconfidence.

16. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've been trying to find polling on Ernst but haven't. I've been hearing she is vulnerable but haven't seen much data to back it up.

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm courteously abstaining. There are too many factors at play including who is the Democrat nominee. Also consider in September of 2018 it looked like there was a very real possibility of Democrats taking the Senate but then the Kavanaugh hearings happened which brought a lot of Republicans home. Like the Presidential race I'm expecting a lot of twists and turns that will affect what happens. There might be multiple October surprises.

King1, Nook and Corrosion like this.
  19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'd honestly rather the Dems not take the Senate .... they can keep the House and take the presidency but I don't think it's healthy for either party to control all three ...

Astrodome likes this.
  20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The Kavanaugh theory is a fairy tale pundit Republicans like to tell themselves to erase the shame of Trumpism, like there's some greater cause at stake

2018 was a blue wave, look at the house.

it didn't translate in the Senate because it is undemocratic inherently and mostly had a terrible map.

Fact of the matter is that Kavanaugh or no Kavanaugh, Clare Mccaskill was not going to hold Missouri. Donnelly wasn't holding Indiana. Let's say they hold Florida, at least that was close, and Beto whips Cruz despite the voter suppression machine.

You're still 2 seats shy.

RayRay10 likes this.