1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 Senate Watch: Is it in play for Democrats

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Mar 6, 2020.

?

Will Democrats win control of the Senate in 2020?

Poll closed Jun 4, 2020.
  1. Yes, they will control 51+ seats

6 vote(s)
    19.4%
  2. 50-50 tie

5 vote(s)
    16.1%
  3. No, they will fall short

16 vote(s)
    51.6%
  4. I abstain, courteously

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  1. Major

Major Member

I'm gonna say these pollsters have some work to do in defining their likely voter pool...

JuanValdez likes this.
  2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the Democrats' chance for the Senate is entirely based on the amount of of folks they can turnout to vote for the nominee in the presidential election.

Presidential elections have higher turnout than midterms and other elections. If the Dems have a huge turnout it will help them in the Senate.

It's possible that certain races are an exception because of a particularly popular /unpopular Senator.

ima_drummer2k, dobro1229 and RayRay10 like this.
  3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I get it. But, we have divided government now and I wouldn't describe that as healthy either. I suppose you could describe the current situation as not sufficiently divided because one party controls all the loci of power except for one, and it's the weakest.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

We are broken.

There was a time where I believed divided government was the best way, to act as a check on extremism, but it's clear now that the parties are so polarized in the modern climate of news coverage/social media/etc. that they will never work together again on meaningful legislation. Neither party wants to give the other side a "win." Obstruct obstruct obstruct. That's the name of the game. It helps you fire your base up for the next election cycle, and after all, election cycles are all that really matter.

Therefore, if you want anything done you probably have to pick a team and hope they get full control and that they keep is just long enough to do something important and then lose it again before they go too far.

I have to admit that I am not a Democrat and the idea of Democrats controlling all three branches scares me. However, there are some big issues that i think need to be dealt with and the only way it happens is if Democrats win all three branches. I only hope they don't make me regret my wish.

Deckard, jiggyfly, joshuaao and 3 others like this.
  5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Our government was designed to be slow rolled. The more extreme, the slower it will roll out. What do you really think would happen if a party had full power and rolled out everything they talked about? We live in this ADHD world where we feel entitled and expect change to happen over night.

Elon Musk is doing more for humanity than all the elitist and politicians in power. Our tech sector has more spying power than all the countries combined. People can do more than drag their broken crutched ass to the voting booth crying about being a victim. if people want to extend their voting power by 100 fold, then they can at least occasionally show up at a bread line and volunteer for a couple hours a month.

Corrosion likes this.
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The republicans had full power for 2 years.....

DD

7. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    John James is a rising star in Michigan and has a great shot at flipping that seat Red. Another outstanding African American Republican senator. Doug Jones obviously gets voted out in Alabama, flipping that seat Red. The tossups at worst will go 50-50, and at best are swept by Republicans. Biden at the top of the ticket doesn't drive mass turnout - he's a really weak candidate and in the coming months the debate will rage as to whether to remove him at the Convention due to his gaffes, dementia, and inability to bring the party together.

GOOD DAY

8. Major

Major Member

As an example, you'd get Obamacare and FinReg and a stimulus package that prevents a global depression. Maybe throw in a DADT repeal, some gay-rights initiatives, etc. You know, small things like preventing economic collapses and getting 30 million people some health insurance.

Andre0087, dmoneybangbang and Rashmon like this.
  9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So you want the courts to be stacked with Republicans but not have moderate justices appointed?

10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

11. Space Ghost

Yes, we bailed out the banks and auto industry. That happened quickly.

The rest took decades. Obamacare added significant help to those with pre existing conditions, but outside of that, there isnt much to write home about.

The point is not about government being good or bad. Government is good at some things and bad at others. We shouldn't expect government to solve all of our problems in this day of time. I suspect in the next 100 years, we will start to see some new from of governance take place.

12. Major

Major Member

Millions of people getting subsidized health care - some paying as little at $10-$20 is a month is certainly something to write home about for them. And another 10 million getting completely free healthcare through expanded Medicaid seems like a huge positive for a lot of people. Out of pocket maximums and no lifetime limits, both of which have dramatically reduced the number of medical bankruptcies each year seem like a significantly big thing. Better and more comprehensive coverage in existing policies also seems like an improvement. But maybe that's just me.

13. Space Ghost

I am not criticizing this. I am stating we didnt need massive legislation to accomplish what you stated above.

While cost of health care is a significant issue, its the quality of healthcare we receive that is an issue.

Corrosion likes this.
  14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Actually it's the cost. The quality is very high, it's just that the quality is not accessible due to cost.

15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

State Takes on a Purple Hue; Partisans Divided Over Coronavirus
    https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/reports/monmouthpoll_az_031620/

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Rashmon likes this.
  17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The one advantage for Trump of Covid 19 is that a lot of people on both sides will forget the impeachment vote. It's like just a month ago the Stros were getting hammered in sports media as cheaters who deserved the 2017 WS trophy stripped and players banned for life. No one is talking about the Stros now.

Andre0087 and Invisible Fan like this.
  18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I don’t like that it took an impending disaster of this magnitude to sway feelings against Trump.

His handling should be called in question though I doubt the people who voted for him in the primaries or continue to support his creed will ever ask themselves the enormity of supporting such a criminal liar.

More trumps and sanderses to come for us...

19. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

With all the old folks in Congress this coronavirus may be the purge some of the millennial's have been waiting for. I'd rather they get voted out and not succumb to a virus but it is what it is. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I used to joke about this on here when it wasn't realistic (liquidating boomers for soylent green and their dragon hoard of equity), but I'm not serious about it nor happy if it were to really happen.

Andre0087 likes this.