1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The official don't re-sign Clowney thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Dec 9, 2018.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Tunsil will probably cost more than Clowney if Brown contract is any indication

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yes; but it's a possible risk in two years, not immediately. And the vast majority of players willingly - if begrudgingly - play under the tag because, at the end of the day, they're being paid millions and millions of dollars to do so. It sounds like even Clowney was resigned to doing it until the Texans tried to trade him.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Could have just traded up for Dillard.
    (Of course where Bob O'Brien probably would have played him at center or some stupid ****.)

They would trade Clowney and premium pick(s) for a LT
    They would not trade up one or two spots in the draft for a LT
    LOLOLOL Texans
    *Eagles moved up three spots, gave up 4th & 6th round picks

OR! ...or they just could have kept/paid Duane Brown in the first place! :D
    and Brandon Brooks and Ben Jones.

4. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I'm sure they did which is why they were shopping him and didn't the report say they were getting nothing but second round pick offers for him. I think we are letting our dislike for Obrien take over and jumping straight to he screwed the pooch and he should have done this and that.

showa13, Newlin and Hey Now! like this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

They could've traded him earlier in the off-season when he could've agreed to an extension with his new team.

7. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

So the Dolphins saying he was not going to be traded was just damage control after Clowney got upset about being traded and refused to sign his tender?

8. Hey Now!

You.... "know" this?......... They reportedly tried to trade him in April. Are you suggesting the only possible explanation for them not doing so was that the Texans wanted more than a late first?...

I disagree with the idea he had higher value at some point... I think whatever hesitation might currently be driving the Dolphins would've been present in March, too; to some degree, maybe more so, in some ways.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I do want Tunsil, just don’t think attaching a first with Clowney is fair value.
    Really wish Duke didn’t get hurt, really think he would’ve lessened the blow of losing Clowney

10. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

i think this guy is pretty legit right

raining threes likes this.
  11. csj

csj Member

By characterizing this as Clowney's unwillingness to jeopardize long-term earning potential, you are saying that it is Clowney that overvalues his own worth, not "we".

I do not blame any athlete for the fortunate position they find themselves in due to the public's relative stupidity. I blame them for trying to grab an even bigger pile of cash than they are generously afforded to the detriment of the public that creates that wealth for them.

Intelligent players realize their wealth and good fortune comes from a partnership with teams, the league and the fans. Dumb ones, including Clowney, Duane Brown and countless others in every sport, only care about themselves and happily damage their teams and their sport over a few extra dollars in the bank.

Clowney could sign the tender and, in this year alone, receive more money than many can earn in their lifetimes. That's not jeopardizing anything.

12. Hey Now!

And when you negotiate your next salary, you'll do so considering the well-being on the company, your fellow co-workers, etc., making sure to leave plenty on the table for the good of everyone else?...

That's a remarkably silly standard to hold anyone to - take less because... Also, why does any athlete owe YOU anything?...

Nook, red5rocket and IBTL like this.
  13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Brian Gaine didn’t trade up. He is gone because of it.

14. Hey Now!

Assuming Clowney goes, the list of players that have left during Bo'B's tenure is going to grow more depressing*: Brooks, Bouye, Brown, Clowney

(* unless they get a legitimate LT for Clowney, in which case... never mind)

15. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Cincinnati had the need and $ before the draft. (They were running Frostee Rucker out there for cryin' out loud.) So did the Raiders. Either take Cincy's #12 pick outright, or swap firsts, or give back a 3rd/whatever, and it's still cheaper than what KC shelled out for Clark. Draft Jonah at 12 (whoops: how was I to know he'd tear his shoulder?) or the OT of your choice, Greedy with your own 1st rounder if they still had it, and move on with life.

Both run afoul of the conference thing you mention, but I don't think it matters as much as you do. Intra-division, sure. Conference? Meh.

I will say that nothing about Texans management in the last year or so has given me any reason to extend them the benefit of the doubt on their decisionmaking, due diligence, or contingency planning.

16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Tunsil, rated as the 11th best tackle in the league, is not worth Clowney and a first, much less Clowney and two first or Clowney and Bmac. Hell no. Absolutely not.

I'd give Clowney and a third for him. That'd be a firm line. If they don't want it, tell them you'll start calling Washington, because the Trent Williams situation is not going to resolve itself.

No way in hell is Tunsil worth that much. To consider that is ridiculous. You're trading a top 5 outside backer in the league and a first or two for the eleventh best left tackle? No. Come on man. Get real. For all we know, one of those firsts could turn into a player as good as Tunsil. For all we know, we have a player as good as Tunsil on the roster, in Tytus Howard (in a year or two).

This guy isn't Larry Allen. He's not Orlando Pace.

Rudyc281, Rashmon and cmoak1982 like this.
  17. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

It just sucks. On the other hand, at least the Texans have identified and picked up diamonds in the rough from other rosters in BOB's tenure...wait.
    This has not happened.

18. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Who cares about individual player worth? I'd start Watt and a high school squad at DL if it meant Watson didn't get sacked 60+ times this season.

The deck is already stacked against us considering Devlin is still OL coach, BOB swings the OL like it's a key party, and we've already got injuries to deal with. At least get someone talented in the crucial LT spot, top 10 or not it's better than top 32 (even if BOB is liable to not keep tunsil like he did all our other good linemen).

I sour at hearing people quote BOBs "give up more for what you want" line like that's not the mess that he got himself into, but I'll gladly apply that phrase to selling out other aspects of the game to protect the QB. Thats really the only thing keeping our franchise together right now (or at least me as an invested fan)

19. csj

csj Member

You mean it's a remarkably silly straw man coming from someone who knows better than to post such crap to defend a narrative. It's also greatly insulting. I've never said an athlete owes me anything or that an athlete should take less. Turn down the BS.

Franchise tags are part of the labor agreement and Clowney has no choice but to play under one if he wants a check. Perhaps he could have arranged it differently earlier, but that's not his choice now. If he doesn't like that he is tagged, he can take it up with the player's association that approved them.

Clowney thinks he can play a game of chicken when in reality all he's doing is destroying value in his team and himself. The tag is there for teams to mitigate some of their exposure due to free agency and to provide incentive to players to not be so aggressive in contract demands. Clowney got tagged because he doesn't understand this, he's all about the cash grab so now he suffers.

Virtually none of us get to "negotiate our next salary" in this manner, but if they were the result would not be so selfish and narcissistic as you seem to believe. Yes, the well-being of the company and fellow employees do matter to me and were I to be in a position where my salary could affect those things I would consider them. Not Clowney, and not you apparently. Not everyone is controlled by unbridled greed.

raining threes likes this.
  20. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

At this point I'd take Rick Smith back in a heartbeat.

tamericus and Fulgore like this.