1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The official don't re-sign Clowney thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Fantasma Negro

Gray_Jay likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

#942 J.R., Aug 29, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Lots of smoke on Tunsil. It’s a great sign.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I would also assume (again: hope?) that the Texans would *only* trade Clowney to a team you almost certainly will need to compete with/beat in your conference if that team was willing to make a sock-knocking-off level offer.

6. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

I would trade Clowney and a 2nd for Tunsil just because the bridge has already been burned with him. I think the way the Texans have handled this has been terrible, but that's about the best we can hope for right now.

7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

What else could they have done? They don’t want to pay him the money. They are trying to trade him to a team that wants to pay him.

8. Hey Now!

It's not Clowney's fault we overvalue athletes and entertainers; stop holding that against him.

None of us would willingly jeopardize our long-term earning potential for someone else's short-term gain, especially for a "game" that is increasingly dangerous.

Nook and vinsensual like this.
  9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’m sorry but Tunsil is not worth Clowney and a 1st, maybe a 3rd and Clowney.

10. Hey Now!

If the Texans walk out of this with Tunsil *and* their first round pick, that's the equivalent of Luhnow landing Greinke and keeping Kyle Tucker (which he was universally lauded for).

And it would absolutely invalidate any notion that the Texans handled this "terribly." It would instead indicate they handled it *perfectly*.

red5rocket, showa13 and Rudyc281 like this.
  11. Hey Now!

Given each players plays to their potential....... I think he might be. Remember, the Dolphins would be trading four years of Tunsil for potentially only 2 years of Clowney (as I assume they could franchise him next year?) - and that's assuming he shows up next year if they can indeed franchise him.

Frankly, the Dolphins would be bonkers-stupid to make this trade so I'm inclined to sweeten the pot.

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Tunsil is only 1 year behind Clowney in the league, talent for talent Clowney is more gifted at his position. Yes LT is a more important position than pass rusher but not by much.

Silent_Bob likes this.
  13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry 2 years apart, but rookie deal is almost up

14. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

15. Hey Now!

Talent is *a* part of the equation (as is position) - but Tunsil will make less these next two years combined ($12MM) than Clowney will this year alone - and you can keep Tunsil for two more additional years on the franchise tag. With Clowney, you get one year, 2 at the most if the Dolphins are allowed to franchise him next year.

That's why this isn't a 1:1.

16. Hey Now!

Which teams would've given a first round pick?... Remember, it's been reported the Texans shopped Clowney prior to the draft so they, I assume, knew his market.

Fans do this a lot - they take a result and work backwards to their own conclusion - should've traded down; Howard would've been there in the 2nd round, etc.

Maybe the Texans thought Clowney was worth more... but if someone offered a 1 and next year's 2 for Clowney..... I think the Texans probably jump on it - UNLESS it's a good team in their conference, in which case, they should've asked for much more. I wouldn't give Clowney to the Chiefs for anything short of an historic haul back.

17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And be running into the same issue with a disgruntled player on the franchise tag. There’s risk there too.
    They’re both high contract players with big deals looming. Pretty 1:1 to me

18. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Anybody willing to include McKinney with Clowney if it gets us Tunsil and Miami 2nd?

I would be tempted but pass.

red5rocket likes this.
  19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

We would lock Tunsil up right away and he would be a lot cheaper per year then Clowney.

20. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

They should have known what kind of money Clowney was going to ask for and If they didn't like him they should have traded him before the draft. I know some team would have given a late 1st for him with franchise pick control, and the ability to negotiate a new contract. If they liked Tunsil so much they should have traded for him back then when Clowney had higher value.

red5rocket and Gray_Jay like this.