1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The official don't re-sign Clowney thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just did a google news search and literally every news article containing the name "Tunsil" indicates that while the Dolphins are "open for business", and looking for trades, Tunsil is one of two or three names that are untouchable, and when the Texans asked about Tunsil-Clowney they received as hard "no" from the Dolphins.

Literally every article I can find on the Dolphins and Tunsil indicates that the Dolphins very adamantly aren't trading him, and specifically won't trade him for Clowney.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Doesn't it seem like teams/media need to stop thinking about the franchise tag as a guaranteed year of control? I mean, we have Clowney on a franchise tag. That's not working out. Frankly, nothing is guaranteed in the NFL, because players can hold out, and in today's NFL if they say they're going to miss games or even a year, heck it can definitely happen.

Absent a trade, Clowney MIGHT show up before game 1, or mid year, or not at all. I wouldn't put it past him to just skip the year. Sure, the Texans still have control... but Clowney can also still say, "nah, I'm good playing video games, maybe one day I'll be back" until he wants. It's a threat I find much more believable in 2019 NFL.

Speaking of which...

This doesn't seem that complicated. He don't want to play for you. Clowney doesn't really want to play for Texans (or Texans don't want him).

I agree. I would have happily traded Clowney for a legit, multi-year starting LT at any point in the offseason.

The clown talks is in reference to the sequencing of events and how even if a positive outcome occurs, it seems likely the Texans will be giving up more by sequencing the events the way they have, as opposed to having taken care of this 5 months ago - which would have also impacted draft.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I would worry about that, too. But... here's the thing: if they *do* end with a top 10 pick.... aren't we going to want them to take the best tackle in the draft?.... And will that tackle be better than Laremy Tunsil?.....

4. havoc1

havoc1 Member

If the trade with the dolphins happens I actually disagree. With McClain suddenly changing his tune and being fairly adamant about them trading for a left tackle, the rumors last week about Tunsil being shopped, and BOB saying that sometimes you have to give up more in a trade to get what you want, I feel like the Texans and Dolphins probably have a trade they’ve agreed to that sends Tunsil to Houston and Clowney and 2nd or 1st or something else to Miami.

Of course this is the Texans we are talking about so I’m not going to hold my breath and I may be reading into it what I want to happen.

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Clowney and a third for Tunsil and Stills.

I think the ultimate deal will be something like that.

Fair for both teams, and the third will be a compensatory pick.

6. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

I think it's pretty obvious Clowney doesn't want to play for Miami. If he did there would have been a deal by now.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Google “Morey not trading Chris Paul.”

Phillyrocket and Hey Now! like this.
  9. JayZ750

I'd do Clowney + 1st for Tunsil + 3rd.

But in any case, seems like its up to Clowney saying ok to Miami. Which should be pretty easy, theoretically.

"Look JaDaveon, Philadelphia and Seattle aren't offering crap for you. You are happy to call their GM and tell them your worth it, but there is too little return there. We're happy to have you sit, or come play for us, given their offer. Miami isn't looking great, but at least it's Miami - you'll have fun, you'll be the star, and the team will be pointed in the right direction. Option A = refuse to go to Miami, sit out however long you want. Option B = refuse to go to Miami, report and let's go. Option C = go to Miami. Please let us know".

I get the feeling neither side really negotiates like this.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  10. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I don't think the Dolphins do that deal, even if you left off Stills.

Assuming Clowney even agrees to go to Miami, what do you all think the Texans would reasonably have to convey along with Clowney, in order to pry Tunsil off the Dolphins? A few pages ago, I jokingly said two firsts and Clowney, but I'm not sure they'd do it for that. Maybe they do. And if that's the price, would you guys be willing to pay it?

I do think Clowney and a 3rd won't get it done.

For the destinations he's been claimed to want---Philly, Seattle---could they even afford the megadeal he's supposed to want?

11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Check the latest article by Alex Mena in the Miami Herald. That’s pretty credible.

12. tmacfor35

It will probably take a first and maybe a second as well.

I would still do it at that price tag.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  13. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Also mention to him---use a Scrooge McDuck meme if you need---that, unlike Philly or Seattle, the Dolphins have 37 million dollars in dead money on their books that expires at the end of this year. Just in time to give a giant chunk of it to him.

Have the Texans at least given him permission to talk to other teams besides Miami? And when is the big galoot going to get an agent? Or---as I read somewhere, tongue in cheek, is DJ Swearinger going to do the negotiating for him?

14. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I'd be tempted. It'd be a lot easier if we knew whether or not Roderick Johnson could carry the load at LT. If so, then just give some assurance to Clowney that he won't be traded---no idea how to do that---provided he signs his tender, put off the decision for another 9 months or so, and keep him.

Because there are a lot of very good QBs the Texans will be facing this year, and it'd be nice to have Clowney on that defense.

15. tmacfor35

Send Johnson to RT if he pans out.

Tunsil Howard Fulton Scharping Johnson would be sick.

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

My guess - hope? - is that they did try this 5 months ago and two things likely developed: 1) no one was willing to give up draft capital then; 2) no one was willing to give up a LT then.

Clowney, in March, when there's no urgency to report; no threat of missing game checks - I don't know.... feels different - less certainty. Now, if you deal for him, you can talk to him, you know what he's going to make this year, you pretty much know he's going to report......

Also, it's possible the Texans thought he'd be back and that was the priority and things have gotten worse? We shouldn't just assume they've mangled it.

17. JayZ750

Probably fair. I think I saw somewhere hidden in an article that they did try and get in on the Frank Clark action, asking for the same return as the Seahwaks got, and the Chiefs preferred Clark over Clowney.

18. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Clowney's trade value depends on his contract going forward. If you don't have some idea other than the franchise tag,
    how do you value him? And if you don't have an agent, how do you negotiate a deal?

The Franchise tag has him caught in a Catch 22, And being given no options tends to make a man go nuclear, especially if he's sitting on a big 'ol stack of cash already.

He might just walk away.

Nook likes this.
  19. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

How exactly is Clowney a clown for this mess? He understandably isn’t going to participate in training camp or preseason games as long as he’s stuck playing on the one-year franchise tag. That’s simply smart business on his part. It’s Bill O’ Brien’s responsibility to not get butt hurt over it and go back on his word to not trade him before the start of the season.

Nook likes this.
  20. csj

csj Member

Yeah, "stuck" receiving only a million dollars a week to play a game. Some people have serious problems with perspective.

I guess it must be "understandable" to someone, but it sure seems like 16M for a season is a good reason to "participate in training camp or preseason games" unless you're completely divorced from reality and have no idea the value of money.

Clowney is already among the richest 1% of people in the world despite accomplishing nothing other than being a bit player in entertainment for a few years. Soon enough no one will care or remember Clowney, a player who cares more about the cash grab than the league that is responsible for his good fortune.

SuraGotMadHops likes this.