1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David West: 'Stop letting nerds tell you how to play basketball....'

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NBA_fan_2018, May 11, 2019.

1. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

That is a funny azz quote... lol

As I've always said... analytics have their place - but they're not the Rosetta stone... its all about balance and maximizing every opportunity you are given... adjustments are made - and they need to be countered - the game is ever fluid.

If the other team knows you dont take midrange... then they run you off the line and collapse at the rim - and dont worry about the middle ground... makes their job much easier...

people wanna reduce everything to an algorithm... but factors change constantly...

2. sw847

sw847 Member

Ur right maybe not a blowout,but harden is so much better than Klay and cp3 should at least negate curry. Plus we have eg, Clint and rivers. We should at least have the upper hand....soooo disappointing

topfive likes this.
  3. pass_to_Hakeem

Including the flopping and whining that was done. They are gonna be the center of ALL jokes and criticism until next season’s playoffs start.. if they make them ‍♂️

4. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

True.

I can't agree more

Nerds tell you mid range shots is not efficient.

Actually playoffs wins are not decided by efficient or not.

5. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

This fool couldn't do it either. He had to join a super team to get a ring. Now he wants to talk crazy.

6. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Harden could have played better but I really wish that CP3 showed up earlier.

7. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

I can’t say if Morey ball is good or not. But to make it work, you have to have good shooters. That’s what Morey has failed for years to add to the roster.

BaselineFade and PeterKingX like this.
  8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Depends on what you're talking about when you say "make it work". "Moreyball" has actually shown that volume chucking with "average-to-above average" shooters seems to put you in the upper tier of teams. We haven't actually seen it with great shooters yet, have we?

9. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

10. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Clint Capela is the biggest problem the Rockets have against the Warriors. He’s always at a defensive disadvantage in the series, and he can’t punish the Warriors for going small on the offensive end. The Rockets need a PF/C in the mold of Serge Ibaka at the five against Golden State.

PhiSlamma15 likes this.
  11. rocks123

rocks123 Member

morey is under attack. i dont think his moreyball is bad. just stop getting over the hill and injury prone players that harden needs to carry during the regular season. were supposed to be a FAST team. part of our offense is to launch three as early as possible so that the other team wont have the time to set up their defense but how can we do that if were SLOWER than the other team. even our SMALL BALL is slow. they keep saying its because we dribble the ball too much but is our personnel in the court capable of outrunning the other team in the first place without losing steam in the end?

12. Zergling

Zergling Member

It's crazy that a general manager is a household name within the circle of NBA discussion.

I guess I'd rather my team be hated nationally than irrelevant?

As far as our nerdy system, the only thing I'd change is to give Harden more midrange and postup opportunities in game, assuming his actual percentage is fine. In close games, 2 points is enough to spike your win probability. Unless we're actually down by 3 points or more, I don't want to see Harden stepbacks at end of games.

13. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

In the immortal words of Ricky Bobby, "If you ain't first, you're last."

Nobody will remember this season as a success two years from now. It's just another demoralizing loss to the Warriors. Does anybody give credit to the Ron Artest led Rockets for taking the eventual NBA Champion Lakers to 7 games? No. We're in it to win it. There is no runners up prize in the NBA. This 2019 team had a full roster and couldn't win a couple games against a Warriors team without its best player. At least the Artest team can make excuses like not having injured Yao Ming or Tracy McGrady. This team is nothing to remember. We need to get a lot better. We're doing it wrong.

14. NBA_fan_2018

NBA_fan_2018 Member

I keep seeing this.

Tell me, why is wanting to play on a championship team and experience all that comes with a championship season...a bad thing?

15. NBA_fan_2018

NBA_fan_2018 Member

Remind me, how many former players are in the front office?

16. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

im not a nerd, im a multiple table tennis champ /morey

17. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Literally every basketball game ever is decided by who is more efficient. The more efficient team wins every game.

18. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

Coincidentally, the Lakers are one of the only teams, possibly the only team at this point, that doesn't use analytics. So...yeah...

SamFisher likes this.
  19. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

This is actually the opposite of the truth.

The beauty of the system is that with altered shot selection you can take average shooters and make them MORE efficient than they would normally be.

I don’t think in the Harden era we have ever really had a team of snipers, yet we continually score extemely efficiently.

Take this season for example. The Warriors have one of the greatest collection of shooters ever. They scored 114.9 points per 100 possessions. The Rockets scored 114.8. And that was with a lot of key injuries

All that said, getting higher quality shooters who can also stay on the floor on the defensive end would definitely make us even better.

harold bingo likes this.
  20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I can't believe we are 8 pages into this thread without this being posted....