1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David West: 'Stop letting nerds tell you how to play basketball....'

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NBA_fan_2018, May 11, 2019.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

nah man!!! We’ve had the most success. I mean Lebron beat a better version of the team we lost game 6 and 7 to, but we almost* beat the warriors last year!

Let’s continue to dribble out the shotclock, play iso heavy ball and jack up a bunch of 3s. That’s literally the only formula. No other team will almost beat the warriors. Hell, almost winning is practically winning. Morey must be crazy for believing otherwise, no idea why he would want to blow this team up..

Hakeemtheking and charlieaustin like this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

you typed all that and still made no point whatsoever lol

BigM likes this.
  3. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Best thread I have read in a long MF'n time. This has my vote for best post of the offseason. Morey has been implementing his analytics since CD has stepped down. Results= 2 wcf and no rings..

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  4. Pandaemonaeon

Pandaemonaeon Member

Lebron with 2 all-stars and favorable circumstances pulled off a miraculous upset. He has lost every other engagement, doing even poorly than us in some respects. He goes west and can't even get into the playoffs while turning his team and organization upside down like he has done before.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Like I said I haven’t seen the math.

But an open mid range stepping back a few feet to get an open three is not the same thing as an open mid range vs contested three.

Plus theoretically they professionals are going as deep as short mid range, medium mid range, long mid range, and partially open, slightly contested, fully contested, etc, etc.

6. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Soooo....MIT Morey Rockets keeps losing to the Silicon Valley Warriors.

David West literally has no point. And when are those nerds going to give him his $11million back?

7. Rox11

Rox11 Member

It actually hurts my brain when I think about the amount of SMALL adjustments that could of been made to beat gs...

I’m taking like 1-2 adjustments....

Take midrange shots

Less iso

[​IMG]

8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Seems you forgot how the Cavs won.

The pace in that series was SIGNIFICANTLY slower than when we have played them. That Cavs team ground every game they played to a slow as **** pace.
    They dominated the “morey” areas. Though they primarily made their hay in the paint.
    They isolated Kyrie and Lebron a ton.

Sounds exactly like our formula, but with more talent. Who woulda thunk it?

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Bulls’ Zach LaVine is not thrilled with his analytics department

INDIANAPOLIS – Zach LaVine will play good soldier for now.

If the Bulls’ analytics team wants him to either shoot only threes or attack the rim each possession, all but forfeiting a mid-range game that the guard really embraces as part of his repertoire, so be it.

Let them pound on their calculators and make their little colored pie charts for the time being. LaVine will go with the program. That is, until it’s time to push back on the program.

“I know … ain’t this crazy,’’ LaVine told the Sun-Times on Friday, when asked about his mid-range game being grounded.

According to LaVine, the organization’s numbers department is convinced that his mid-range game has to go away. For how long? LaVine wasn’t sure. Maybe it’s just a preseason thing or maybe it’s just until the new up-tempo offense finds its legs. Either way, LaVine feels like it’s killing an already “lost art.’’

“I mean I grew up being a Michael Jordan, Kobe [Bryant] fan,’’ LaVine said. “I know that some of the greatest scores in NBA history were mid-range, mid-post guys. It’s sad to see it be pushed to the side. I mean Carmelo [Anthony] is one of the greatest scorers ever, but he’s out of the NBA right now somewhat because the analytics don’t want mid-range twos.

“I think it takes away a little bit of the skillfulness and it takes away some of the weaponry. But I’ll tell you this, there’s still guys in the NBA – and I think I’m one of them – that can still get it done.’’

Through the first two games of the preseason – LaVine didn’t play in Friday’s game against Indiana – LaVine has followed orders.

Of his 29 combined shots, only two have been mid-range.

Analytics bloggers – many of whom try and use the numbers as their access into the locker room far too often – love to call this the “modern NBA.’’ LaVine laughed at that phrase.

“I’ll one-up [the analytics guys] – the best mid-range shooter in all the NBA played for Golden State – Kevin Durant,’’ LaVine said. “Playoff basketball will show … I mean guys like DeMar DeRozan or C.J. McCollum, I mean [McCollum] killed Denver [in the playoffs last year] because he got into his mid-range.

“Playoff basketball [defenses] are eliminating the threes, they become tougher shots, so you want to get to a shot where you know you can make it and you worked on it. I think the mid-range is a lost art now because everyone is moving towards the threes and the analytics. I understand that because how it looks and how it sounds like it makes sense, but sometimes there’s nothing better than putting the ball in your best play-maker’s hands and letting him get the shot he needs rather than the one you want.’’

Blame the Houston Rockets.

Last season, the Rockets had the lowest usage percentage of shots both 16-24 feet (2.53 percent) and 8-16 feet (7.12 percent), while leading the NBA with a 51.74 percent from beyond 24 feet. Houston’s average shot distance was 15.11 feet.

The Bulls were 21st from 8-16 feet (14.31 percent), 19th from 16-24 feet (10.05), and the average shot distance was 11.90 feet, which was last in the league.

Of course the Bulls need improvement, but LaVine also pointed out that Kawhi Leonard was not only an NBA Champion last season, but the series MVP. And his mid-range game destroyed the Warriors.

That’s why he hopes his analytics department isn’t going overboard.

“It’s a decision we’re going with right now,’’ LaVine said. “When the real games start, if we’re in dire need of a bucket, obviously I know what I’m going to.

“Obviously, I’m going to take a mid-range or an isolation when I need to, especially if I’m hot.’’

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Lmao KD preaching common sense doe

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

agree with KD that 1st and most 2nd options shouldn’t be bound to analytics...guys like Harden should be able to take whatever shot they want...it’s not like Harden or even CP were banned from taking midrange tho

KD would see his 3 point attempts increase here, but he could still take a midrange jumper whenever he wanted

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

People have to stop arguing with KD anywhere. He's an idiot. This is a dude that can't even use a burner account successfully. He desperately wants to not be an idiot. He wants to be deep, have high IQ conversations, be a VC investor, whatever. But it is what it is. His analytics rant is proof of that... as if anyone who has any clue what they're talking about analytically ever said a contested 3 at x% is better than an open 2 at y%. Analytics isn't hard - what will give you the highest offensive efficiency. The end. It's different for different players, etc., but in pretty much EVERY case, defense being the same (contested, semi-contested, wide open, etc.), the 3 is better than the mid-range, because of math.

As for Zach LaVine... his guys probably just said,

"hey look, you shot 26% on shots from 3 to 10 feet. You shot 30% on shots from 10 feet to 16 feet. And you shot 38% on shots from 16 feet out to the three point line. Overall you shot 32% on 364 shots from 'mid-range'. Alternatively you shot 65% on 450 shots at the rim, and 37% on 321 three [the equivalent of 56%]. You want to shoot more mid-range, fine, get your damn %s up"