1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Registering to vote is silly

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jump Ship, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

Is vote.org legit?

Lots of millenial hate in this thread.

I donated 10 bucks to Andrew Yang, does that count? I plan on receiving a 1,200 rate of return in the next 3 years.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The whining OP who you referenced, called himself a millennial

3. Senator

Senator Member

Good post .. the left has tried on many occasions to increase voter turnout, but their base is as the stereotype describes

Registering to vote needs to be updated to be in line with a 2 click, attention deficit generation.
    You can't shame kids into voting, so work with them
    Don't expect the under 30's to just figure it out, they would rather ignore

Mathloom likes this.
  4. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Registering is good being people move and need to be verified. We should have to show our ID as well.

BruceAndre likes this.
  5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

How about 3 clicks and a gem box?

6. KingCheetah

7. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

maybe you should immigrate to a communist country then?

Jontro and BruceAndre like this.
  8. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

I could go off on a tangent, but "everybody" shouldn't have a voice. I would suggest only net taxpayers vote. You could add in veterans, I suppose.

9. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

It's great to be nice and friendly; spreads good karma. How it makes people environmentally aware.......I'm still wondering.

10. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

I'm not suggesting that snail mail is efficient, but it still has it place. For example, a lot of insurance companies still insist on paying their claims with a check. If you want to benefit from (say) flood insurance, get ready to receive a paper check in the mail.

And as for the 18 year old mentioned above....growing up is all about doing things you are uncomfortable with or not used to. In fact, it may not be anything other than that.

11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Snail mail doesn't have a place in the future, but that's besides the point. As for the insurance companies, have a think about why they do it that way, and then think about what that means for the voting discussion.

The point is young people won't want to do it. Even if me and you agree that it's not bad and that there are shortcuts and that it's fair, they just won't want to do it.

Even if we think it's immature of them to think that way, it's bad for themselves and everyone that they won't do it.

I want them to do it. You should want them to do it more than I do.

It's easier to fix the voting system than it is to change all youth behavior. It's really that simple, and if the system changes everyone benefits. No one would rather snail mail. People of all ages would switch instantly, and it would probably end up costing the taxpayer less. It only still happens this way out of incompetence or ill will, even if we agree that it does not prevent people from voting.

12. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Registering is so easy. You can even do it when you get or renew your driver's license. Registering is more about registering WHERE you live, not if you are eligible to vote.

arkoe likes this.
  13. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Is it possible for you to enlighten me? If convenient.

14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Not sure why OP is getting so much grief for wanting an easier way to vote/register. Voting should be easy. the US makes it VERY hard to vote because they don't want you to use your power. Other countries make it as easy as possible to vote by making the registration process perfunctory and putting voting days during the weekend or making voting day a national holiday.

The US voting days are in the middle of a work week.

#94 DreamShook, Mar 22, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    Jump Ship likes this.
  15. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Dunking on millennials is easy. Dunking on millennials online is easier and more efficient though.

Jump Ship likes this.
  16. KingCheetah

We're all jealous of his 200mpg Camry.

CourtOfDreams and Os Trigonum like this.
  17. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Companies always make it very easy for you to buy/upgrade things, and slightly difficult for you to cancel or get paid. They will even underinvest in that portion of their operations. If the insurance company is paying you, the number of days your money is in the mail, the time it takes for you to deposit/cash it, the possibility of it getting lost in the mail, those things are all good with them. They can just transfer it to you and that would be quicker for you and them and take place instantaneously. Why bother? Over 90% arrives within 3 days anyway. You can't say they're not paying you. You're getting your money.

Minor inconveniences. Again, don't think about how you think young people should be. Think about how they actually are. This minor inconvenience is just another thing that makes them say "fuggit".

18. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

I can see the "logic" of the first paragraph. Don't agree so much with the second, and I'm still not sure how the two paragraphs relate to each other.

But, in any case, if young people are too lazy to fill out a voter registration card and mail it in, I actually think this is a good thing. People who are morally, physically, or intellectually lazy should not be voting anyway.

19. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Surely you see the irony of this statement. Why make me reply when this is your position? Jesus.

20. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

The reason that the election was set on a Tuesday is that getting people living in rural areas in the 1800s would take days by horse and carriage to get to the nearest polling station. They could attend Church on Sunday and then leave to travel to vote, more than likely in groups supporting whatever their local clergymen would "advise" them to vote upon.

Making it a National Holiday doesn't help the working poor get out and vote. If all the fine dining/fast food/fast casual service industries shut down. All the retail/groceries/gas stations stores closed down. All the phone operators/help desk/customer service reps stopped working for a full day......

"Give me Convenience or Give me Death"

If you make it a National Holiday as it is now, and under what is considered a "National Holiday", then that really only shuts down the Federal Government, Federal Banks, and Major School Districts.

Good luck getting the mass populous give up an A1 Thick and Hearty at Whataburger at 2 pm because the fry cook wanted to express his or her policial belief.

@DreamShook this wasn't directed at you even though I quoted you. Just reading this thread, I wanted to ramble on some stuff.

#100 CourtOfDreams, Mar 22, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019