1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Registering to vote is silly

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jump Ship, Mar 18, 2019.

1. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I just paid a landscaping crew through their card reader on a phone. I pay my yard guy via PayPal. I still have a checkbook and had to write a check for something last year while purchasing my home and the checks have my address from 2005. Some people on this forum weren't even born then.

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  2. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

Interesting. Any chance they modified the settings to prefer electric over gas? Meaning once the charge is gone it starts using all the gas.

I did drive on eco-mode and cruise control the entire time. Everyone in San Diego drives on cruise control and no one goes around each other like they do in other cities causing everyone to change speed and waste gas.

I seriously thought the gauge was broken.

Maybe it was closer to half a tank on the last day, i was not the only driver. still really good for 6 to 6.5 gallons.

#62 Jump Ship, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So you made up the part about a Toyota using solar power? What made you think there were Toyotas running on solar power?

King1 likes this.
  4. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

The fact that it got so many miles. It was the most logical explanation.

Maybe it used all the battery and then switches to the gas similar to this? There could be a setting for that.

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. bobrek

I only need one that goes up to 200. :)

Os Trigonum likes this.
  7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

If you think a chief qualifier is living there regardless of anything else you just don't understand them. Youth (globally) are more similar than they've ever been, and the similarity is accelerating rapidly. It's part of my job to constantly research and understand American/British/Arab/Indian youth behavior, what they watch, what they play, what they do, what they buy, what they care about. The OP himself is telling you this is ridiculous. In fact OP is not in the average (he/she actually feels the need to engage about this), the average kid won't ever say a word and will just not do anything.

You are asking them to mail something in a month in advance to vote for something they feel alien from. Most of them will be doing this in a non-academic setting for the first time ever (i.e. unfamiliar), and most of them will not want to do it even if they know how to do it. It's not slightly absurd. It's extremely extremely absurd.

I am sure you care about the issue, and I'm not the problem here. If you hired a marketing agency to market voting to American youth and you suggested mailing something in a month in advance, they would look at you like you're deranged. Imagine if you had to win a Fortnite game to vote. You know how to do it in theory, you could easily learn, and you would wonder why this absurd thing exists and if it even has any legitimacy given how out of touch with reality it is. While that's not the same thing, it is EXACTLY how an 18 year old FEELS when you tell them to mail something in to vote.

#67 Mathloom, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    The Hunted likes this.
  8. Mathloom

Supporting Member

You get a week between christmas and new year?

Move the vote to 2nd or 3rd of January after people have spent time with friends and family and have re-assessed their lives and created greater goals. Alternatively, combine Memorial, Labor, Columbus, Presidents and Veterans day. If Martin Luther King were alive, he'd give his holiday up for this kind of thing. Or do what's right and just give Americans the damn week off. Americans are so overworked, so stressed. It's unhealthy. Productivity has gone up, pay has gone down, economy is stagnant and the country is getting really eery.

Even if people do nothing but socialize in that week, it will help a lot. A LOT. If 20% of those people end up doing some extra research about who they should vote for, great. Have parties in public where people can just f'ing talk to each other. Just to have the term voting week repeated all the time would bring some awareness.

Just the fact that this is an eye opening idea to you is eye opening to me. This is important man. It's unbelievable that you get like a day off to do this, and you have to register a month in advance by mail, and you have to stand in line, and you didn't get to see all the candidates on the debate stage and the electoral college exists and and and.

This is so important. This is much more important than how it's treated. If America does this, a dozen Western democracies would follow suit. When was the last time America led the way on democracy? It's been a while man. If nothing changes, nothing will change.

9. bobrek

People aren't being asked to mail something in a month before an election. They are asked to mail in their voter registration when they turn 18. Again, high school students can easily do it in Texas. While it is certainly easier to do it online and technology is at a point, where that should be feasible, to say that mailing in a short application is absurd is absurd.

Plus, as long as you stay at the same address, you never have to do it again. And, if you do move, when you change your address for your DL, it is a seamless transition to also change your voter registration.

King1 likes this.
  10. bobrek

It's eye opening to me because I actually research the candidates throughout the entire process. I don't wait until a week before the election to do my research. It is mind boggling to me to suggest giving people a week of vacation in order to de-stress before an election. To have the entire country come to a standstill so folks can do what they should be doing all along.

Also, there are states where you can do same-day registration. Again, elections do not sneak up on anyone. People should have plenty of warning. High school kids should be registering as part of their civics lesson. Why this is a big deal, is beyond my comprehension.

arkoe, BruceAndre and King1 like this.
  11. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Ok dude, I get what this is about. You're awesome everyone should be like you young people should work harder. Good luck, I'm sure it will work out.

12. astros123

astros123 Member

The sense of entitlement that the younger generation has is sickening. Get off your ass and quit whining.

BruceAndre likes this.
  13. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

What a waste of tax dollars all around. The people who actually have to manually verify and record all this data then send the response.

What an utterly useless job to do.

14. bobrek

Yeah...spending 10 minutes to fill out and mail in a form is tough work. And, actually paying attention to the candidates as election season progresses...wow...what a concept.

Someone asked before and I don't think you answered...what country do you live in?

King1 likes this.
  15. bobrek

If this is truly representative of millennials, next thing they are going to want is someone to tell them who to vote for so they don't have to waste time researching.

16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I honestly thought this was satire this morning when I first read it

BruceAndre, King1 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  17. Mathloom

Supporting Member

You mean Generation Z. Millenials are already 23+ years old already.

18. Mathloom

Supporting Member

One week off every 4 years to pick one of the most powerful people in the world as leader. The horror!

19. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

yep. satire. ;)

20. Buck Turgidson

I like that he assumed everyone gets the week between Christmas and New Year's off.

King1 and Os Trigonum like this.