1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Registering to vote is silly

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jump Ship, Mar 18, 2019.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Do you even live in the United States? Do you know these "young people" that you say "don't know how to mail?"

I don't object to automatic voter registration necessarily but I'm not sure you are qualified to deliver such hyperbole on the matter.

King1 likes this.
  2. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

Surface level. Got it.

King1 and Os Trigonum like this.
  3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

With early voting and vote by mail how is it even a problem to get to the polls because one works?

With respect to automatic registration, for whatever reason some folks may not want to be registered. Also, at what address will you be automatically registered? New borns get SSNs now. Automated registration would not necessarily know where they live when they turn 18.

4. bobrek

The bolded part...seriously?

King1, justtxyank and Buck Turgidson like this.
  5. Jontro

Jontro Member

voting in general is silly. we need one supreme leader to rule the earth, no votes necessary.

6. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

In a technology world, voters should be able to register online and it’ll be a lot quicker to verify instead of doing it all by hand. I don’t see the problem. If you want to mail it in, you should be able to, and if you want to register online, you should be able to.

7. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

This is texas, not cali. To assume it is surface level because i do not have the resources to make it my life is crass.

Why we are not maximizing the solar energy we receive from the sun every day needs to be questioned. It renews every day and does not emit any carbon. In many cities in cali, most drive electric, solar, and even automated cars. In texas most drive a truck or suv. No one cares here and you have to accept that, but do what you can.

8. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

I based the "surface level" comment off of things that you have said. This reaction falls right into the assessment.

I am glad that you are open to the idea of raising questions about supplemental energy sources such as solar. I only hope that you do not go into the exploration of the topic with a set opinion that technologies such as solar energy are inherently good and without flaw. There is potential with the technology; but we are very far away from it being a reliable source of supplemental energy. Oh, and there are significant environmental factors to consider with these solar arrays or roof paneling.

Some of the biggest critiques against the solar energy industry is that the technology is inefficient and not showing signs of significant advancement. The real estate involved with solar arrays is staggering in order to generate a smaller amount of energy (in a world demanding more). The biggest reason (and I've only touched on a few) that I'm still leery of solar energy as an industry is that there is not a good plan in place at this time to handle the disposal or repurposing of solar panels once they have hit the end of their lives. As I'm sure that you know, they contain significant amounts of rare metals that are extremely toxic to the environment and are a hazard to the health and well-being of anyone who handles it improperly.

If you are serious about concepts like conservation or environmental protection then you need to move away from cliched buzz words or concepts that just because the technologies are "green" doesn't mean that they are not without issues. California is not as green and rosy as some make it out to be. Those electric cars require a lot of juice that cannot be generated by renewables alone at this time. Trying to go only in that direction is an exercise in futility and more damage.

But that's enough from me on this. I deal with this all of the time, and I'm bored talking about it. Have a good day.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Jim Crow laws - read about it. Without these laws and gerrymandering, there would be very, very few Republicans elected. This is not a political comment, it's well documented.

Pure and simple, if you're a citizen, which can be identified on a drivers license or passport, you should be able to vote. ID Cards are available if you can't drive. Personal opinion: voting day should be a national holiday.

Jump Ship likes this.
  10. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I'm just like you except for a few minor things.

I drive a CLS 550 twin turbo V8 that I had tuned and it now puts down 550 rwhp and 720 lbs of torgue. It sucks down gas and I have to fill up every week as I drive it so hard. I also own an GMC Denali Pickup with a 6.2 V8. Holy hell that thing LOVES him some fuel.

I really don't litter (BRO'S!) but I sometimes throw pennies out the window as they're worthless and not worth my time.

I use a TON of wet wipes to clean my behind as I love being clean there. They say flushable so I believe them.

I don't use the heater much (BRO'S!) in the Winter because we live in Houston, but I wash dishes in my brand new Bosch under counter dishwasher almost daily, even when there are only like 3 plates in it, just because it's awesome and so quiet. I also wash clothes and run the dryer daily before 7pm if possible or I will forget about it and have to rewash.

I drink a LOT of bottled water, but it takes forever to fill up the recycle bin so I just throw them away in the regular trash. Bottles upon bottles, so many but I have to remove them from my home as I am very clean.

I rarely greet anyone not involved with work, and I especially do not smile as I do not care about people I do not know. You're basically just in my way and I want to get home so please shush, no need to speak to me as you do not know me.

I drive my car a lot. With the new Horse Power it's hard not too. Just this past weekend I drove down to Corpus and hit it hard, up to 140 MPH like SUPER quick at one point. I had to fill up 3 times in one day, but company gas card so don't care.

Good talk!

Os Trigonum likes this.
  11. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

I rented a 2019 Toyota Camry and drove for four days for well over 550 miles and the gas gauge it did not move. All that stuff you’re saying is bull. It was 3/4 tank when I returned it. Go test one out yourself, it is only $30 a day.

It is no secret. Hybrid cars save so much carbon emission. The numbers do NOT lie.

12. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

Yep. Surface level.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  13. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

Do you hate me or the planet? This planet has given you life. Do not take your anger out on it because you disagree with someone who is trying to be environmentally friendly.

14. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

I respect your opinion.

15. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

What are you talking about bro? We're practically twins.

Jump Ship likes this.
  16. bobrek

So....Toyota advertises 51-53 MPG on their 2019 Toyota Camry hybrid. You claim you got over 100+ MPG (550 miles on 4 gallons). Have you notified Toyota?

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This thread has gone off in 20 different directions, but I agree with the above. I don't think wanting to do something online instead of via snail-mail means you're lazy.

Perfect example of this is that I have to pay Montgomery County $5/year to monitor my home alarm. When it comes time to pay, they send me a bill in the mail. Then I have to write a check for $5, stick it in an envelope, write the address on it, put a stamp on it and return it them. Then it can take as long as 2 weeks to process. No option for paying online, no option to pay with debit/credit card, no option for automatically drafting once a year, etc.

Yes, I know how to write and mail a check.....and yes, it's only once a year. But it's 2019 now. You really don't have a way to just pay online??? Who still writes checks? I don't even know where my checkbook is. Or if I even still have one. My band doesn't even pay us with checks anymore. I pay our lawn guy with Chase QuickPay. A check?? Come on, man!

DreamShook and Jump Ship like this.
  18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if you have a lawn guy you’re part of the problem :mad:

joke!!

19. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

Yes, it uses solar as well and it was during the summer. Maybe the rental car place set it to use electric and solar first then gas. I can see toyota sending that to rental car companies with those settings as a way to advertise their cars. They may not be allowed to advertise the solar miles becuase some people live in alaska where they get no sun. But that is a big dub if you live in the south.

There are many cars that get you 220 miles per gallon.

20. bobrek

So...help me out here. I have googled and googled and cannot find any mention of Toyota having a solar powered Camry.