1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

The price for Realmuto just got alittle stronger. Its proving Catcher is a premium position. It's much harder to obtain a good catcher for the long haul. No one know how well Mejia may be but he could be out of the spot and I to the OF or 1B

2. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Supposedly, Padres may try to move him to OF. Which I can see working...

Either way, Hedges and Mejia look to be a formidable backstop.

Steal.

3. raining threes

True but if Fisher and Moran got a deal done last yr, Fisher/Davis should be close to the price being paid this yr for Britton.

After seeing what it too for the Padres to get Meja, I think the Ramos rental is looking more likely than the Realmuto trade. Particularly if Alvarez is off of the table.

4. raining threes

What was the name of the highly touted C that the Yanks traded for Pineda a few yrs ago. There could be a parallel

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Montero?

raining threes likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Jesus Montero, last seen playing in Mexico.

Marteen and raining threes like this.
  7. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I would be surprised if we land Britton, and with Ramos being injured I don't think he is on the radar anymore. Britton is going to be more expensive than we hoped because he has the most upside of any available reliever, and almost every team in contention wants to bolster their bullpen. Waiting around to play games with the Orioles did not work last year at the deadline and I doubt Luhnow will be patient enough to get into a bidding war and then jump through hoops with the Orioles to finalize a deal.

The reports I saw suggest Ramos will be out as much as months and not weeks. He might be a candidate for a qualifying offer or a post deadline waiver wire deal like Verlander. If he is healthy, I don't see Ramos passing through waivers before we get our shot.

I could see the Astros targeting Soria from the White Sox. He has a 10 million dollar option for next year. I could see Luhnow getting the White Sox to throw in 4-5 million to reduce the cost of Soria next year. Then you get Soria for around the same price as Will Harris' option next year at 5.5 million, and you can decline the option for Harris.

8. htownbball

htownbball Member

I just hope we keep Cionel Perez and give him some more looks and see if he can be that lefty stopper for us.

9. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Britton is the best fit but like you said there’s 7-8 teams bidding for him. Might take a bigger haul.

I think Luhnow has some off the radar move(s)

10. Marteen

Marteen Member

I would be very very very sad about this, but you gotta wonder if Tony Kemp will be included in trade talks. With Tucker, Springer, and Reddick, how do you even fit a guy like him in your outfield, and I really believe he should be in the lineup every day with how often he gets on base.

11. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Astros won't trade him, he's that GLUE guy this year.

If we really want to get frisky (like some posters have mentioned), let's just get DeGrom and Britton.

Move McCullers or Morton to closer role and sort the rest out later. We need the best 25 man-roster possible.

We have the core under contract till 20/21 with Springer being the only guy after 2020 to become FA of high priority. Make a statement.

2022 with Correa is an entirely different story...

12. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

DeGrom is way too big of a haul (Tucker & Whitley for starters), doubt the Mets would consider dealing him

Britton is the closer I’d prefer. Aside from that there’s enough pitching on the Astros.

Another reserve IF who can play all over the diamond would be nice. Marwin can float around between the IF and LF & Kemp should stick around.

13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

14. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Whitley, J.D Davis, Fisher for starters would get their ears perking. The log jam at certain positions makes these guys tradable.

If Whitley is the only blue-chip in deal, I can see an avenue where Luhnow see's the risk being worth the reward.

DeGrom for this year and through the 2020 season is just not fair.

Verlander, Cole, DeGrom, Keuchel starting with McCullers/Morton to bullpen is filthy (for playoffs).

Also, allows for Keuchel and Morton exits (if that's what they want).

15. Houston_Rockets

For those that believe that trading away Tucker or Alvarez type prospect for 3 WS runs with a top 3 Catcher in the game is not worth, what if we were even more aggressive and we traded for Realmuto and Barracclough?

2 birds one stone, negotiating with the same team making it easier to swallow the pillow of trading prospects that might be All star or better type guys in the future, would you do it?

I was always on the Realmuto train, but if I'm Luhnow I'm not putting Tucker or Alvarez in the package if no other team is putting close to the same value. Stay patient and tell Jeter that if you put Barraclough in there then maybe...

Am I being delusional about it or what?

16. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Soria is no better than what we have already. If we go get Soria, Lance or Charlie closes in the playoffs still. If we get Britton, there is a chance he closes playoff games if he is right.

Britton might not be “cheap” as others have posted, but he won’t require a Tucker/Alvarez level prospect. If Fisher/Davis type of deal don’t do it, then you go Fisher/Armenteros type of pitcher, Reed or something like that. We have so much depth of quality but not too 50 overall arms that we can easily outbid others if Luhnow feels like Britton could be a difference maker.

17. The Beard

Depends on what Luhnow really thinks about Alvarez. We all know he likes him, but none of us know to what extent

If he sees Alvarez as a young, cheap little more consistent version of Evan Gattis, you probably do that deal. If he sees him as a young, cheap second coming of Edgar Martinez, then no dice

Rockets FTW likes this.
  18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

What if Luhnow sees him as a young cheap version of Yuli Gurriel that saves the Astros enough money to extend Correa or Springer?

19. Screaming Fist

I don't see Luhnow burning Alvarez on a catcher given that they have a pair of solid receivers in Stassi and Stubbs that can be platooned to probably provide at least average offensive production for their position next season.

Rockets FTW likes this.
  20. The Beard

Yea that last part is what i've said many times on this thread already. A huge part of keeping the prospects you feel will truly make it, is we are going to have to have some cheap guys who can play if we are going to pay Altuve, Correa, Springer and Bregman

Nice job of finding a comparison right in between the two I mentioned by the way....and my guess, if that's what he thinks Alvarez will be, he would not include him in a deal for Realmuto

On a side note I want the Astros to WIN IT ALL THIS YEAR as much as ANYONE....If we win it all i'm gonna get a check from Gallery Furniture for about 8K, so trust me i'm all in lol

But while Luhnow wants to win it all again this year his window is a lot longer than what most posters on this site think. He isn't just thinking about the next 2-3 years, or probably even the next 4-5. I suspect he wants this thing to be dominant long term and will run things accordingly

Rockets FTW likes this.