1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Manager Kevin Cash dodged any definitive timetables Sunday morning, allowing only that, "He's going to miss some time.''

If that sounds ominous, it should. There is a real potential that Ramos' absence might end up being measured in weeks, maybe even months.

A trade before the July 31 deadline for nonwaiver deals seems all but out. And the return on any deal, if the Rays can even make one before the Aug. 31 deadline for postseason eligibility, has been reduced significantly.

2. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I just dont see how we can pull Ramos
    Nationals won't wanna pay Soto for Realmuto which in turn opens the door for the Astros.
    Alveraz would be next up.

3. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Just can’t see Astros going for a catcher at the deadline(s). Need more versatility with a multi-position player not essentially a fourth catcher.

This winter you have more time to evaluate Stassi as a future starter or reserve where Realmuto or a FA backup comes into play

4. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

Diaz is a top 100 prospect, but the others seem to be more organizational filler.

5. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Brad Hand to the Indians. Interested to see the return.

6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It’s hand and Cimber for Mejia so far. Wow. Big trade.

7. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I was about to get upset and say why arent we doing anything... but then I remembered Darvish, Gray, etc, followed by Verlander in the later deadline. I believe.

8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

9. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Would love to have Hand, but a comparable deal on our end would absolutely have included Tucker, and maybe more since Mejia plays a more valuable position. Don't think the price tag was worth it, as good as Hand is.

It's the type of trade I would have advocated last year. But the desperation, at least on my end, is gone now that we've won one. I'm more willing to be patient this go round.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Why ever would the Padres want Mejia? They have the phenomenal Austin Hedges at catcher.

11. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Excellent deal for Padres to get top catching prospect in the game for a reliever

Joe Joe likes this.
  12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Brad Hand hasn't exactly been a door slammer, 5 blown saves this season and an ERA around 3. Not even sure if he's a significant upgrade over Rondon, or one of our starters.

If I'm making a major investment in a reliever, he needs to be dominant.

BigMaloe, Marteen, King1 and 4 others like this.
  13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Traded a MLB Top 20 overall prospect (who plays the most important defensive position on the field) for a reliever who was once DFA. Could be a disaster for Cleveland. Not happy about what this does to Britton’s price.

14. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

It also takes the most obviously desperate team out of the market.

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

A big part of his price was team control, 3 more years at an extremely reasonable rate, with the 3rd year being a team option. However yes, I agree that is steep for a great middle reliever/OK closer. The Indians should know better than anybody how volatile relievers can be from year to year.

The Britton market should still be pretty soft, and one less buyer.

Rockets FTW likes this.
  16. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Yep, Britton being a FA after season's end helps us as well. I'm just slightly worried that some teams overpay (Dodgers). If they do, so be it.

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I don’t think the market will be soft at all. He could help really any contender, although I would agree Cleveland is probably out. His injury history and the fact that he’s a rental will help keep his price less insane but it will still be higher than normal.

raining threes likes this.
  18. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

I'm glad the Astros miss out on Brad Hand. He's been used way too heavily by the Padres. 90 IP out of the pen in 2016, 80 IP in 2017 and on pace for about 75 IP again this year. That's borderline irresponsible usage and it would not surprise me at all if he's hit hard with injuries (a la Jonny Venters after 83 IP in 2010 & 88 IP in 2011).

chievous minniefield likes this.
  19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Huge price to pay. Usually prospects that highly rated in public prospect lists get traded for an ace or a No. 2 starting pitcher.

20. Buck Turgidson

There are questions about Mejia's defense and ability to remain at C long-term.