1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Nick Young was offered for a 2nd rounder: Morey denied

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Insiders give insight into how someone is thinking or what teams or players are considering at a certain point in time. It is inevitable that most of the time the inside info won't come true. It doesn't mean it wasn't true as reported, when reported.

Insiders aren't forecasters or magical seers. Things change by the minute in the NBA. They can't give more than what they hear from their connections at a point in time and they can't vouch for their connections being right either, though the reason they are connections is that they're more likely to be right than not given they are on the inside somehow and posters here aren't.

Even though I know the GM now and am friends with him and never can share the little I know from that, I still appreciate the art of the insider and I appreciate them putting themselves on the line to report reliably sourced rumors/behind the scenes stuff from good sources that can't speak publicly because that's just part of the fun of being a fan. To see reliable insiders slapped down by nobodies is irritating.

And I have always disdained the way they're treated here, though it would be worse elsewhere. As if they have some obligation to prove themselves after they've done so and been vouched for many times over.

I just hate posts like the one I quoted here. They really get under my skin. Good old days was popeye and Doc Rocket posting here directly. cyberx has proven his cred here. Who are you?

Garner, MorningZippo, adw and 5 others like this.
  2. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

I would of done it. Would've tried a Brewer/Young swap first though

Pen15clubber likes this.
  3. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Makes you wonder if Morey had a chance to dump Brewer and an asset for either Young or Gay preseason, who are now both off to hot starts.

4. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Some reason the dude rubs me the wrong way. Brewers attitude seems so much better. But what do I know maybe it's the media that's displaying him with a negative light

5. cyberx

cyberx Member

Man... Watched some Nick Young yesterday... He looked GREAT. Great D too.

fryjol7 and malakas like this.
  6. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

I think this is directly related to Luke. He has that entire team looking so much better than last year. Maybe it is more directly related to Kobe leaving. But I still give Walton much of the credit here.

vstexas09 likes this.
  7. cyberx

cyberx Member

He had a career here in an MDA system. I think he would excel here.

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  8. TheGoldenGreek

Cyber, trying to twist the knife in the wound or something??

9. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

More like he is trying to get one of those bloated NBA contracts since his contract is up.

I can see why Morey passed after expiring Ty Lawson for a 2nd round pick. He didn't want to deal with anymore egos or guys who made too much noise off the court.

10. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Tells you how much Morey values 2nd round draft picks and their cheap contracts. I think their still worthless unless you hit on them...

11. BAHAMIANFAN

BAHAMIANFAN Contributing Member

Most of us appreciate the insights you and the rest of the community provide, however unappreciated it may seem.

Whenever you get frustrated from this forum, just remember that most of us fans are ignorant, impulsive and hypocritical trolls that know nothing about what is going on. However, at the heart of it, we are all fans of the Rockets and most of us just want us to succeed. And many of us simply come on here to vent and share our misery like in a bar. So please forgive us as we know not what we have done.

12. clos4life

clos4life Member

And Morey hits on them at a GREAT rate. Our first round picks on the other hand...(although Clint was a great one!)

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Aaron Brooks (26th) - big HIT

Donte Greene (28th) - traded him for Ron Artest

No first round pick

Patrick Patterson (14th) - good NBA player

Marcus Morris (14th) - not Kawhi (argh!) but still a good NBA player
    Donatas Motiejunas (20th) - good NBA player

Jeremy Lamb (12th) - dealt him as key piece in the James Harden trade
    Royce White (16th) - big MISS
    Terrence Jones (18th) - decent NBA player for where he was taken

No first round pick

Clint Capela (25th) - big HIT

Sam Dekker (18th) - jury's still out but looking like a pretty good NBA player

No first round pick

Frankly, I think that's a fairly decent, above-average track record on first round picks.

Garner, DudeWah, Rodman23 and 4 others like this.
  14. CertifiedTroll

Bima, great list. I thought the rise and fall of Royce was a fun roller coaster for me as a fan. I was really in tune with RGV when he was here. I really think he had something to offer a team if he was not so deeply conflicted.. Hard to call it a "MISS" when the talent may have been there.

15. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Talent was there but the effort and mentality wasn't. I blame McHale for that pick.

16. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

It's not just about talent though. Randy Moss had 20 guys taken ahead of him with the consensus being that he was a top-3 talent and coming off a Heisman-finalist campaign at a MAC school. Conversely, Micheal Beasley was taken where his talent justified and, well....it's not just about talent.

Given how much time, money, and resources teams spend on getting a holistic view of a player. A miss is a miss.

If I were making exceptions, the larger gray area for me would be injuries and even subsets within those such as the Oden's of the world (No chronic issues identified pre-draft but an all-time player taken right behind him) vs the Brandon Roy's of the world (widely known and diagnosed concerns pre-draft) vs the Jay Williams of the world (freak accident so we'll never know).

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I was just thinking about Morey's drafts today. He basically does 1 of 2 things. Takes players he understands are good and ready to contribute - Jones, Morris, Patterson, Brooks... other times he swings for the fences and takes a guy that fell for whatever reason in order to maximize upside without really knowing if they'll work out - Capella, DMo, White, Parsons.

I had no problem with White. He fell for a specific reason, but Morey was trying to hit on a player with a high ceiling.

D-rock and MorningZippo like this.
  18. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Very good thread...thanks Bima and Cyber....
    Just want to mention how those Summer rumors of a Capela for Noel swap look now...James is making Capella look like gold.

19. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

That's the key. In hindsight it's obvious he wasn't a good pick. At the time, I was also all for it. We needed a star, and not many players had more potential than he did to become one.

20. finsraider

finsraider Member

uhh.....Morey's first round picks:

Aaron Brooks - Hit
    Pat Patterson - Hit
    Marcus Morris - Hit
    Mirotic/DMo - Hit
    Lamb - Hit
    White - Miss
    Jones - Miss
    Capela - Hit
    Dekker - Hit

They may not be homeruns, but almost all of them were or have been contributors, which is about as much as you can ask for drafting in the mid/late 1st.