1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Las Vegas Summer League] Houston Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SK34, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He was still a chucker and he was still the 3rd worst defender on the roster behind Jones and Terry.

I mean, sure he might give you a boost off the bench during the games where he happens to be making his shots but he'll kill you when he's not making them and there's no telling which kind of night it'll be because it's totally random. The only things you know about him for sure on a nightly basis is that he's going to shoot the ball a lot and he's going to be the worst defender on the court.

2. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Buddy looking bad smh

3. jogo

jogo Member

He won't shoot 52% again. He only played 363 minutes last year. His Fg% will decrease with more time and then it's really about is he a + or a - player. That defense makes him a minus.

This year Gordon can create his own shot and hopefully the D'Antoni offense will make that less of an issue.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

#364 heypartner, Jul 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  5. OTMax

OTMax Member

Beasley is black hole and we need another option at PF and no, it's not D-Mo either..

6. Space City

Space City Member

You may have been fooled by Morey, but 3s aren't the only shots in basketball. He may not be shooting 3s, but he's still capable of scoring from other spots on the floor. As for the defense, he has a good reputation on that side of the floor so with a couple of pointers and some time to shake off the nerves, he may turn it around. One game by a rook in summer league doesn't define a career, so ... yeah.

7. mightybosstone

I think Beasley playing in the Summer League was a mistake. I get that he wants to prove that he's dedicated to getting better and being a professional in this league. But there are other ways to do that, and he's taking minutes and baskets away from other guys who really need to prove they deserve a chance.

I really, really hope he sits the rest of the Summer League out. Too many guys were unable to show off their offensive skillsets because he was jacking up shots all game long.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

My $0.02 watching the game:

*WTF this game is a disgrace to the Houston rockets, the Rox suited up a 6 year vet, a 4 year vet and 2 2nd year players and STILL ended up getting destroyed by 5 pts. I know wins and losses are meaningless in SL, but have some ******* self respect 99% of the opponents won't even make an NBA team.

*Beasley has surprised me a lot, before the tipoff he showed some leadership skills giving advice to the rookies and hopefuls on the team. I know people are like disrespecting the guy because he played bad but c'mon, dude has pretty much a locked in spot in the team next year and he's like 8 years older than his competition he was probably taking it easy on them/using the SL to warm up and get into shape. Dude was able to average 50% FG last year you think he's gonna have trouble shooting over rookies and hopefuls who will have trouble just getting into the DLeague? This is Beasley putting in 28 pts and 9 rebs in his rookie year, 8 years later I think he is a better player than his rookie days so if he was serious I'm sure he could've done better.

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=080707orlsummerleaguemiachi

*KG Mcdaniels on the other hand looks like trash, wtf was he doing all season long? You'd think he'd take this chance to prove to everyone he was ready to challenge Ariza's 3 and D role but he showed bad defense and absolutely no shot this game. Other players can get a pass being rookies but this guy already signed his first non-rookie NBA contract. Maybe he just isn't used getting all these shots so he needs some adjustment, but he better bring his A game next game because right now he looks like trade fodder material.

*Dekker looks great, he didn't play tentatively despite this being his first real game back from injury and he deserves some leeway cosidering he lost his entire first year. He made some good shots and looks solid enough to get some PT next year off the bench.

*Harrell is ok, he played off position but actually dominated the 7-3 scrub opposite him so I thought he was ok. He tried to experiment this game and shot some 3s, well tbh he won't even have the chance to do that in a real game so that's ok I guess.

*GP3, Chianu and Wiljer, these are just rookies they were probably nervous, confused on what's going on so give them some slack. I'd like to see how they look like next game before I make any opinions on them. But as of right now I like GP3's confidence and assertiveness.

3 people like this.
  9. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Yes let's make sure guys who will be playing in the D League anyway get enough minutes in July:rolleyes:

10. mightybosstone

You realize that they don't just play the Summer League for funzies, right? For a lot of these guys, this is their opportunity to make a roster spot on an NBA basketball team. And for the Rockets, this is their chance to evaluate guys who could feasibly get a spot on the team.

The Rockets don't need to see Michael Beasley jack up a bunch of contested jumpers. They need to see guys like Gary Payton II, Kyle Wiltjer and Isaiah Taylor getting those shots up. Because those are the types of guys who could feasibly get those last roster spots.

If you don't think there's a point to Summer League, maybe don't watch the games and waste your time posting in an online sports forum about it. Just a thought...

1 person likes this.
  11. Remlap

Remlap Member

Can't believe some are already calling for heads based on 1 SL game.
    RELAX!

Beasley WAS chucking up plenty of shots tonight, and I think that's why
    he was there. (not that he should have been taking so many).
    I personally have no problem with him on our roster.
    He made some key defensive AND offensive plays last year. I, like others,
    think he is a good slasher/shot creator. Just needs to learn to tone it
    down sometimes. I think MDA will help with that. He's not the type to
    just clap and say 'play harder'. When you take stupid shots and make
    bad decisions, he'll put you on the bench to think about it

McDaniels on the other hand seems to be a smaller version of
    Stromile Swift. He can jump through the ceiling, but can't do much else.
    Maybe he'll succeed in MDA's system on backdoor cuts and dunks.
    But he SURE has no shot to speak of.

The game was pretty much just streetball. Pickup style, with a few
    screens and cuts. Plenty of jacked up shots. Everybody trying to get their
    15 min of fame

At least Dekker shined a bit. We'll see if that continues

1 person likes this.
  12. hongxingli

hongxingli Contributing Member

Actually it's not only his defense, I watched closely for few games he played, when he creates (or we call it create), he really focus on shooting it, it doesn't matter if he has the opportunity or not, he seems doesn't have a sense or vision to create for the team or for others, that could be the reason that why he shooting percentage is good, but overall + - is pretty bad. It seems that his game is just not smart or efficient to me, he could prove that my observation is not correct this year.;)

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

If you actually watched the game, you'll see that when Beasley was serious (like the first 9 mins of the game) the Rox had a pretty high lead,he had like 7 rebs and 8 pts by the time the first quarter ended. But then he realized he was up against scrubs and started jacking up long 2's whenever he was open, obv those are shots he doesn't do when he's in an actual game.

Why I'm a bit down on KJ is because he actually played with some instensity, dude was all over the court and was aggressive trying to make something happen but unfortunately he couldn't get the ball in the hoop, he couldn't catch passes from GP and even when he drove in he clanked the shot. It was a really bad performance and I'm shocked he was that terrible against scrubs. If I was MDA I'd totally slot Dekker over him at this point, KJ was healthy all season long but seems like he had nothing new to show for all the work he did last year.

14. mig0s

mig0s Member

Why isnt zhou qi playing?

15. johnnydeezy1

johnnydeezy1 Member

It's sad how u guys judge kjs game. He's not the type of player who's gonna go off in summer league. The people who judge his box score are the people who don't get what he brings to the team. He's never going to be a go to scorer guy. This is why we want this guy on our team because he fits whith harden. I can't believe some of u.

16. johnnydeezy1

johnnydeezy1 Member

dekker was good and so was Payton. Kj was solid and so was Montrezl. The rest probably won't make the team. Although , Kyle wiltjer can really become a threat

17. FeaR

FeaR Member

He is playing for China National team. I saw a video of him blocking and dunking on someone.

18. kevtse

kevtse Member

Is Zhou going to stay in China for another year?

19. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Yes, at least

20. OTMax

OTMax Member

Just heard Capela's interview, he's working on conditioning, FTs and getting ready for more playing time. Doesn't seem like they instructed him to do certain things or maybe too much to get into, but wish he at least working on getting more muscle. He needs to be able to bang with the big boys and if he stays the way he is, all the true bigs will push him out the way.