1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] Rockets' similarities to Warriors encourage Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ico4498, Sep 26, 2015.

1. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I agree in that I think they were beatable but they were the best team in the league by a pretty wide margin. With that said I don't buy that they were the best team on the past decade or anything like that though. The heat in lebrons 2nd season their were on a differmt level defensively and of course with that star power. Not to mention they had 4 guys in there starting lineup shooting above 50% which is insane.

2. malakas

malakas Member

a pass is not only to find the open man. It is in the right spot at the right pace.

3. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Lol, that's exactly what you need to do, and exactly what he did. Now he's also got the pieces to go with them.

4. PJ86

PJ86 Member

True, it's not like Morey wanted to do it this way. If we had his way, we would've had Carmelo. Lowry last year would've been perfect and indeed we got lucky with Lawson. Morey can talk all he wants though, he indeed craves another player to put us over the top and if he can jump on a deal, I'm sure he has zero problem with trading away two key players (Beverley, Brewer, Ariza, TJ, D-Mo) for another star.

People can call him a genius and the way we are built some careful constructed plan, a "Moreyball" team, but that's just bull. Morey put us in a position to get Harden, Howard and now Ty but it's not like this team is following some formula or players are the type Morey craves. Stats be damned, Morey will sign the Carmelo's and Stoudamire's with bad knees over players who are better stats wise and better for chemistry.

1 person likes this.
  5. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Except that the biggest change the Warriors made was get rid of a lousy coach in Jackson and hire a game changer in Kerr. That was the single biggest reason the Warriors won it all.

We are still stuck with McHale. Oh well, we will have to win inspite of him not because of him.

6. bmd

bmd Member

I think McHale did a fine job this past season.

The Warriors had good defense under Mark Jackson and had the weapons on offense. Offensively, they weren't using their players in the best ways.

Kerr made some tweaks to the offense to create more space for his shooters and get them the ball in their spots. It made a huge difference.

Draymond Green was also a big difference maker.

The Warriors' best weapons weren't being utilized to their full potential under Mark Jackson. That's not a problem with the Rockets. McHale isn't holding the team back like Jackson was offensively.

7. Nook

Nook Member

No they werent. They would have lost to Cleveland had they not been missing 2 of their 3 best players.

8. malakas

malakas Member

except that the coach job is not only to change the offensive shemes at the start of the season. It is also late in game decisions, and changing lineups depending on matchups. And this show in the playoffs no in regular season.
    And Kerr proved he was great at that too.

9. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I don't understand the people who take that position.

"Oh man Morey ****ed up in such a bad way last season that we ended up in the WCF. If only that bozo realized the team needed to have continuity last season and didn't value flexibility, we could have picked up someone like Josh Smith or Brewer in the middle of the season had a deep playoff run. Oh well, glad he realized we need continuity this year when he want out and got an all star level point guard for scraps (flexibility)."

10. SKTTLZ

SKTTLZ Member

They ain't even that good.

11. bmd

bmd Member

Right. But so was McHale. The deeper a series went, the adjustments McHale made game by game worked.

I had zero problem with McHale's coaching this past season.

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

"Healthy Dwight" no longer exists. Assume he's not healthy. I've seen some say he's still not playing in B2Bs; is that true? Haven't seen the official word on that.

13. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

ros·ter
    /ˈrästər/

con·ti·nu·i·ty
    /ˌkäntəˈn(y)o͞oədē/

Roster continuity is calculated as the % of a team's regular season minutes that were filled by players from the previous season's roster.

Roster Continuity is our biggest acquisition this off season aside from Ty Lawson. The same Dubs team that we owned 2 seasons ago came back as the same team last season and kicked our butts. Don't give me that Kerr crap. Look at Memphis. Look at the Spurs. Or Pacers that one year. Or Portland that one year. Look at any team that was dominant in a season and look at their roster continuity. Now continuity for continuity sake doesn't equate to domination, but it just shows that your team and your GM have their ideal squad nearly realized, and only a few tweaks are needed.

Behind the spoiler is a giant Roster Continuity chart of all the teams & all the seasons. You'll see why continuity matters. Chemistry matters. Mitigating turnovers, having a well-oiled machine, all that matters. I'm a big fan of Morey standing pat for the most part. The dividends continuity will pay for us are going to be huge.

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=bbr&url=%2Ffriv%2Fcontinuity.cgi&div=div_stats"></script>

#53 cdrive, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
    2 people like this.
  14. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

That chart just told me a number of things:

1) The Spurs have not had as much "continuity" over the past 15 years as some of their nuthuggers (and Morey haters) would like for people to believe.
    2) Miami, a team that won three championships in the last 10 years has had quite a lot of roster shake up.
    3) Mark Cuban is as full of **** as some of the Morey haters on this forum. The Mavs have a ton of roster turnover consistently.

Overall, it seems Morey is right. You go after the biggest name, most talented players you can. Once you get them (LeBron and Bosh) you just make some minor tweaks so you can can compete with (Garnett Pierce Allen) and dethrone (Duncan Parker Ginobli) established teams. Of course, this is not always a guarantee, but you maximize your chance for success.

15. MtthwPnngbtn

MtthwPnngbtn Member

Still pretty upset Morey didn't win the gm of the year award. What he has down for Houston, is incredible.

16. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I'm for once am happy that we didnt do big changes this offseason. Lot of people just dont understand how important camaraderie is to a teams spirit.

We arent perfect. The 4 is a spot that needs to improve. I'm hoping that either Jones or Moti bust out this year and get us where we need to be...

But my biggest concern is still coaching. As long as Milkhair is giving instructions we cant tip the scale in those most important games. We'll always be one step behind.

17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Obviously the more roster continuity you have the better you will be, If you had a crappy team you wouldn't want to keep it together and vice versa you dont want to break up a good squad.

I definitely believe in chemistry and am glad the rockets kept much of the team together.... but you really cant quantify chemistry in this way.

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

Is that the pillars of creation?

1 person likes this.
  19. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

The Warriors were a really good team by the eye test, but they were never tested. Facing the 8th seed, then a slew of injury plagued teams is not being tested. Especially because your best player (PG) is the injury that the opposition was plagued with.

This year is the Warriors true test. But, hopefully we'll best them with our health and superior talent.

20. Marteen

Marteen Member

The Rockets constantly shot themselves in the foot with turnovers. It was ridiculous, but hopefully Lawson changes that. Barring any injuries, the team has a solid bench and starting five to have a deep play-off run. If the Rockets are really lucky, there could be another Clippers-Spurs 1st round in the play-offs where the team that owned them in regular season gets eliminated early.