1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] Rockets' similarities to Warriors encourage Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ico4498, Sep 26, 2015.

1. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

i dont like the analogy first off because I loate the GSW and 2nd because their championship run came with incredible luck. Ok they were healthy throughout most of the season and playoffs, that happens and you can credit their training staff for that but how about running into every single team in the playoffs with major injuries? Them getting through the pelicans was legit but then face a hobbled Memphis Team, Rockets without 2 starters and then cleveland without Irving, one of the elite PGs in the league.

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Cleveland without Irving and Kevin Love's scoring and rebounding.

3. Braunatron

Braunatron Member

Oh bless you Morey. This kinda confirms my suspicions that the extended injuries last year were partially to let him rest up for the playoffs. At the same time, the Spurs rested players last year and they got the 6 seed because of it.

...Sometimes I hate how deep the west is

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-cards="hidden" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Also, Morey had no comment on any contract issues but per source, Rockets to pick up Capela option. <a href="http://t.co/AO2OB2N9TJ">http://t.co/AO2OB2N9TJ</a> via <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonChron">@HoustonChron</a></p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/648491196117970945">September 28, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. joeson332

joeson332 Member

People fail to note that for some reason..true but hey it was still a grind for us.

1 person likes this.
  6. xaos

xaos Member

You're right. The team led by Kevin Martin was good enough

7. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

The real question is whether Kerr will be able to sustain the defensive efficiency instilled by Jackson. As we saw when the reigns were switched from JVG to Adelman, defensive efficiency took a few years to fall off.

JVG
    06-07 100.7

Adelman
    07-08 101.6
    08-09 104.0

It may not be the case with the Warriors, as they improved in DRtg under Kerr in his first season, but it will be interesting to see how they trend this coming season.

8. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

They just had one of the most impressive seasons of all time. It's not hard to see at all, IMO.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

One of this board's most voluminous posters asserts that the Warriors were nothing but a fluke so keep that in mind. :)

Anyway, I don't like the analogy because while the Rockets will have continuity, they will also have continuity of weakness.

They still don't have anyone who can give you serious defensive strength at the 4 and they still don't have efficient three point shooters.

Teams like the Warriors, Clippers, Spurs and Grizzlies will give us serious trouble in the playoffs because Dwight will have to be honest on their 5 which will allow their 4 to abuse us.

However, you hope you can make up for that with dynamic perimeter play now at the two guard spots, but that's not a continuity thing, that's an addition to the team this year.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Thanks for wasting the last 8 seasons, Morey.

1 person likes this.
  11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Well I hope you get encouragement Morey. Keep your head up big man, we don't need you throwing tantrums like Harden.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I want a clean cut road to the Finals without much heartbreak

or I'll just take the Finals

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

This offseason went by so fast when you know his routine. Swing for an allstar, miss out on everybody. Last resort, throw big money to unproven euro players. Make a stupid excuse slogan.

14. PJ86

PJ86 Member

To everybody who says they do not like the analogy, I'm with you. I think it's even stupid of Morey to look for similarities when there are very little, if any between the Warriors and Rockets situation, team etc.

Secondly, Morey believed that 08-09 team was not championship material, because I reckon A) he knew T-mac was not as healthy as he said he was and B) he didn't sign Mutombo from the start. Once that happened, it was all good baby ;)

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I know you like to play the role of ignorant, angry contrarian around here, and you do it well might I add, but, this description doesn't really work for an offseason where we basically retained everyone from a WCF team and then added a top 10 PG to the mix.

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Ladies and Gentlemen...cheke64 is back and better than ever!

17. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Can we PLEASE stop quoting cheke64? It makes this community so much more dumber than it already is.

1 person likes this.
  18. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Yes, the Warriors were healthy and everyone else was not. Some of that is luck but some of it is having tremendous depth and taking care of business by winning easily so you don't wear guys down during the course of the season. Morey's done a great job of getting the Rockets the kind of depth that can make the winning happen and allow the team to deal with most issues bad luck might bring.

This is going to be a fun season and I think I'll enjoy watching the second unit get theirs.

19. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

excellent post here

something to look at from the last 3 seasons (since Harden joined the team) most of the contending teams have either seen an increase in their continuity or it was already high (over 75%) - then you have the Rockets who went 32%/77%/48%. The 48% was the worst out of all the western conference playoff teams outside of the Mavericks.

You would have to go back to the 07-08 Celtics to find a championship winning team that had a continuity of less than 79% (the celtics had 66%) and the worst in the last 10 years was the 05-06 Heat with 49% (this is when they basically gutted the entire roster for vets to play with Wade and Shaq)

I mean unless the continuity is disrupted by added superstars (lebron etc) generally it doesn't result in success. Chemistry is huge factor for success. I believe we only had last years starting lineup for the first 2 games of the season. We could see that same starting lineup again this year (provided that Bev wins the starting job and after Dwight's suspension) in game 2.

I think thats what I am looking forward to the most this season - seeing the same faces again on the team. Morey's tenure as a GM has been mired in roster turnover until this year. Even then roster changes were made but they were the right one - even if the Lawson trade doesnt happen the Rockets could have still trotted out the same potential lineup as last season. Thats huge - something that couldn't have been said for the last several years - one starter or another were traded away or signed elsewhere.

main contributers last season:
    james, dwight, bev, tj, dmo, ariza, brew, terry, josh smith

all those guys with the exception of smith are back - once Dmo is healthy you have your top 8 players returning along with KJ and Capela coming back as well. then you add a dynamic playmaker in lawson and a capable shooter in thorton off that bench as well. Really the biggest thing that is going to hold back the Rockets is health - if healthy I like their chances going toe to toe with any team in the league. Sure the team still has flaws but what team doesnt? They are deep and are able to have players play their natural positions this year. 3 deep at the 2 and 3 spot where Harden and Ariza logged heavy minutes last year.

Easily the deepest team since the 08-09 Rockets -- again health now will be the biggest key.

I am just excited to see how this team has grown and learned from the experiences last year and take off. You can tell there has been an unspoken bond and focus that is forged only through going through the playoff series together. Another thing is we still have a young team - it was only last year we added experienced Vets (terry, ariza, brew) and we saw the results. We still have those vets and now some of the younger guys have had a year to learn from them and experience playoff sucess themselves.

oct 28th cannot be here soon enough.

20. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

Coach who? LOL