1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] Rockets' similarities to Warriors encourage Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ico4498, Sep 26, 2015.

1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Because our last few rosters have been worth keeping? Get out of here with that nonsense please. It only makes sense to keep a roster if it is worth keeping. There is ZERO point in continuity if your team is not a contender and that did not happen until last season.

1 person likes this.
  2. arjun

arjun Member

We were actually worse than 48% in roster continuity in the playoffs last year.

completely lost dmo/beverly, and brought back howard/jones + increased min for terry/pablo.

It would be also interesting to see roster continuity percentages WITHIN the same season -- game 1 vs playoffs.

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Thanks for the exposure but I'm already famous enough. Jordnn use to call me on my cell phone.

You're up there on my top 5 best fans of me.

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Really like the roster. Hurry up preseason!

5. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

[​IMG]

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

What I want to know is why they suddenly value this. Is it because they no longer have flexibility? Or because the Warriors were successful doing it?

Morey's objective seems to have always been to go into the season either as an enormous favorite, by compiling a dream team roster, or going in with an 'incomplete' roster (in his eyes) with the intention of upgrading by Feb. The Warriors pretty much didn't do that at all. I'm curious to know if this is the new approach because Daryl really likes it, or because he has no other choice.

7. bmd

bmd Member

Daryl does like continuity... with the right group of guys. He has said in the past that there would be a lot of turnover until he had a core of players he liked.

The Rockets are at the point now where Daryl likes the core of players.

8. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

he didn't like continuity better than Aldridge and he won't like it more than Durant.

9. TheFreak

It makes me wonder what he would have done as GM of Golden State, coming off a 51-win season and finishing as a 6-seed the year before last. Would he have pursued a title or flexibility?

10. bmd

bmd Member

Golden State had the players. They didn't have the coach. And they had injuries.

11. TheFreak

Daryl doesn't believe coaching makes much of a difference, and I agree. So he likely wouldn't have thought a coaching change would have been all they needed.

12. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

We can only dominate GS, if our bigs punish their small ball lineup by hitting free throws and scoring in close. So if we are resigned to the fact that our bigs will not improve their free throw shooting then GS is still ahead of us.

13. bmd

bmd Member

The coaching change absolutely made a difference with Golden State on offense.

They were not using the players they had to their strengths.

Kerr used Curry in much better ways in the offense and opened up space for their best players to get open looks. It was a big difference between Mark Jackson's offense and Steve Kerr's.

I think people misinterpreted what Daryl Morey said.

I think he said something along the lines of coaching may affect only about 1 or 2 wins in a season.

People took that to mean that the coach doesn't matter. But Daryl was talking about in-game decision making. He was talking about the changes / adjustments a coach makes during a specific game could change the outcome of 1 or 2 games a season.

14. basketballholic

This is why Morey is on the hot seat. Statements like this above, selling this team as last year's Warriors' team, is why he's in trouble. We re-signed these guys (Brewer/Bev/Terry/McDaniels), didn't do much else besides watch Smoove walk out the door and add a couple more rookies, and here we are. Lawson is just turning into Pablo's replacement. Nothing more.

I didn't like those signings then. I for sure don't like them now. I felt like we should try to sign-and-trade Brewer and Bev both. Now I just hope their trade value doesn't totally go in the toilet.

You've got to keep evolving. That's what made the Warriors what they were last year. They kept evolving from the previous season. They're still evolving this season and they're even better than last year. We are not evolving.

#94 basketballholic, Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  15. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

lol, the rockets have NO SIMILARITIES to the warriors.

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Here in Houston we don't evolve, we "revolve" our trade assets. :p

17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Well the Rockets and the Warriors are both nba teams and in the West... Oh you meant talent, haha you're right.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Stephen Curry On Teams Copying Warriors: You Won't Have The Personnel

19. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

20. basketballholic

Read this article and I agree with it wholeheartedly. The Dubs have cornered the small-ball lineup in my opinion. You won't be able to beat them by out-smalling them. They bypassed us last year with a bullet and they've kept going.

You have to find another way to beat them. And I've got some ideas. As does Pops. And I think you'll see a great contrast of styles when the Spurs play the Dubs, hopefully in the WC Finals (since we have no chance of getting there as currently constructed).