1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] Rockets' similarities to Warriors encourage Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ico4498, Sep 26, 2015.

1. jbasket

jbasket Member

But...but... trade for Cousins!!!!

2. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Going 1-8 against a team doesn't make them look beatable.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

We should win it. This is the best roster in the league. We don't have the best coach, but he has improved every year and the talent is so good now that we should be able to overcome the coaching disadvantage.

I'm almost glad we're hard capped, this team just needs time.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

In 5 playoff games without our starting PF and starting PG, they still did not dominate us.

They made swept us in the regular season, but that's meaningless after you play a playoff series.

I don't know that we would have beaten them if healthy, but what we saw was promising.

Our starting PG and PG. Take the Warriors two worst starters out and I'd be shocked if they take a single game from us in a series.

5. PJ86

PJ86 Member

We definitely need more on defense and I hope McHale demands perfection. We cannot afford half-assed effort by anybody. Also while Dwight has been beastly in the play-offs, he's still not doing everything he can to win. Let's himself get taken out of games easily, does not want to set picks, demands post ups where he loses the ball or misses more often than not. I sincerely hope Morey does not think Dwight is fine the way he is right now.

6. malakas

malakas Member

lol that's a huge red flag from Morey to McHale.
    I don't see any simmilarity with GSW and Rockets. The Rockets actually DID make a big addition this year in contrast to the Warriors.

If just keeping together a team means to be similar to the GSW then the Bulls are similar to them too.

7. anchel

anchel Member

This. What it ended being the most important change.

8. Exiled

Exiled Member

He did not forget, he thinks rightfully though, McHale=S.Kerr

9. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Believe it or not, yesterday, I was talking with a friend and this is exactly where I was coming from.

Now, we just need to stay healthy.

As things stood last year, even without a PG (much less a stud like Ty), if we had DMo and Bev...the Warriors series goes 6 or 7 with us likely taking them down. They were way overmatched inside with a healthy Dwight and a fledgling CC as it was. Add a healthy DMo (who is sooooo much better than many realize) and our domination in the paint offsets any deficiencies out top. Look up what Dwight and DMo did when they were on the court together. Now, on top of THAT, you have CC who is becoming a beast.
    But, it is the addition of Ty Lawson that puts us in the position of not only being a contender this year....we won't be close to being the favorite in Vegas initially, or even for most of the year, maybe not until the very end....BUT THE HOUSTON ROCKETS WILL WIN IT ALL.
    Ty gives us balance. He gives James the ability to get the ball in space while most times already having at least 1/2 -1 step. He allows for a rested and fresh Beard. He will find our big men inside at the right time when they have guys sealed off. He will find our shooters for wide open J's. He gives us the flexibility of playing inside out or outside/in.(major penetration with the dish) When you combine our monster interior game with Ty you have a fastbreak like nobody's business...Think SHOWTIME.

And don't worry about the Spurs, even if they do stay healthy (which they probably won't)......We have too much for them.

Get ready folks. It's gonna be a helluva ride !!!!!

Disclaimer- Did I say we need to stay healthy? :cool:

10. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Dwight wasn't really healthy that series after Josh stuffed his knee

He sat out that first game 4th quarter and couldn't move in game 2, he was sort of ok by game 4, but he wasn't much better than he was during that 20 game bad knee stretch mid season. Even just him healthy and we win at least 1 of those first 2.

11. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. That's what I was saying. While Dwight was healthy it was a totally different series.

I can understand how that might have been misinterpreted. Sorry.

I'm with ya , man. :)

12. Merla08

Merla08 Member

The Warriors were good last year, but they had one of the easiest roads in the playoffs.

Round 1 - Pelicans were an 8th seed just happy to be there. They knew they were gonna get swept or maybe win 1 game. They blew that huge lead in the 4th qtr at home which showed their immaturity.

Round 2 - Grizzlies stole a game on the road but with Conley injured, they had no chance. Still, the Pelicans followed by the Grizzlies is such an easy road as compared to facing the West's elite teams - Spurs, Clippers, and a healthy Thunder team.

Round 3 - The Rockets were not at 100%. Missing your best defender against a position where the MVP was able to score at will really hurt us bad. Not having DMO to help our inside score also killed us. Dwight got hurt in game 1 and we blew a huge game 1 lead. After that game 2 loss, we looked defeated and couldn't recover.

NBA Finals - Talk about luck.... After missing Conley, and Beverley the past 2 rounds, (and I wanna say the Pelicans had some injuries to their PG too), Curry was gift wrapped the NBA Finals by not having to face the Cavs all star PG Irving. Not to mention Kevin Love was out too. LeBron did all he could, but 2 huge injuries like that made it the easiest path to a championship I've ever seen.

So they basically played 2 of the worst teams in the west, and played against 3 teams who were missing their starting PG and also 2 teams who were missing their starting PF. I've never seen a team catch so many breaks in the playoffs as the Warriors .

13. malakas

malakas Member

Bunch of excuses here.
    What about Warriors last year having the second best ELO of all times in NBA history?
    They were good and better than us.

14. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Yeah, I'd say there was more to GSW's success than just continuity... still glad to hear Morey's confidence though, and I share it.

15. Roxoff

Roxoff Member

Meh I almost think McHale might be better than Kerr. Might. And here's why: I'm not sold on Kerr, because he's like an Erik Spoelstra. When you have all the right pieces in place, it takes the smallest amount of coaching to make things go your way. Essentially, you have to have a pulse.

Think of it this way. What does Pop usually say in timeouts when the Spurs are down? Nothing, pretty much asks the team if they're joking around out there.

16. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

The change in the team was palpable. Ariza is a professional and the other guy is all bluster.

17. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

And yet this team has improved continuously under his management and has built what looks like a legitimate title contender over the past 3 years. So.... Wtf are you talking about?

Here's a tip for you.... Every time you start thinking you know how to construct a basketball team better the Morey does dump a bucket of ice water on your head and shock yourself back to reality.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you have to think with lawson the 3 point shooting will go up. this backcourt is going to give guys open looks up the wazoo

19. OpenLayup-Why3?

What guys. We don't have good 3 point shooters on this team. We had tons of open shots last year too, we just didn't have people to make them. Ty doesn't solve that. It seems like we got so excited about Lawson that we forgot how badly we needed good 3 point shooters.

20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

my man.