1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Feigen] Fertitta disputes idea Rockets used the Trade Deadline to get under the Luxury Tax

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Not posting the full article....but the key Luxury Tax part below is interesting. We'll see.

With just 12 players on the roster, the Rockets must add two by Thursday, though they can use 10-day contracts to buy time until more players join the buyout free-agent market. Fertitta would not go into any shopping list but disputed the idea the Rockets used the trade deadline to get under the luxury tax. Though the Rockets did move James Ennis, Marquese Chriss and Brandon Knight, he said that was because they would not play down the stretch.

The Rockets’ unsuccessful effort to sign Markieff Morris, a move that would have put them above the tax line again, would support the owner’s argument. Fertitta said other moves this month could have him willingly paying the tax.

“That had no bearing whatsoever on any decision that was made,” Fertitta said. “If we could have gotten another player, somebody we were trying to pick up last week that didn’t work out for us, it would have put us back over. I still don’t know that we’ll be under when it’s all said and done.

“Daryl (Morey, the Rockets’ general manager) and his team are working it hard. Remember, not only do we have to want somebody, somebody has to want to come here. Some of these guys, they want to know what kind of minutes they’re going to get. We’re not going to tell somebody they’re going to get a lot of minutes if they aren’t. We have a pretty good rotation, with Clint coming back especially. If somebody wants 20, 25 minutes, we’re not going to lie to them and tell them that they’re going to get it if we don’t know they are.”

#1 Deuce, Feb 19, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Yeah yeah tight tight .

I get trading Ennis if you really think he's not going to play .... but ducking get something for him . Don't just give him away for free .

The only way for tilman to convince me he's willing to pay the LT .... is for him to pay the LT .

Until he does , it's pretty obvious that getting under the tax was a goal .

3. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

C - Capela, Faried, Nene
    PF - Tucker, ????, Clark is not in the rotation
    SF - Shumpert, Green
    SG - Harden, Gordon
    PG - Paul, Rivers

Please move Gordon back to the bench. Our bench scoring is awful. 9 men rotation is locked. Problem is can Capela and Faried co-exist in MDA system.

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

morey spent the entire season making every move possible to get us just below the tax line. so basically STFU tilman you lying POS.

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If the Rockets didn't have minutes for Markieff Morris, that to me means they looked at him strictly as a Stretch 5. And that with Capela/Faried they couldn't guarantee consistent minutes.

There *IS* a hole at backup PF behind PJ Tucker. Gerald Green is playing those minutes right now. House COULD fill those minutes. But there is a current hole. Tells me that the Rockets did not think Morris would be a good fit at backup PF in their system. Perhaps due to switching.

6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

We might as well never have more than 10-12 players .

Mike will only play 8-9 ..... only more if it's a blowout situation .

We don't practice so we don't need bodies there .

Maybe we will just end the year on a string of 10 days

7. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

I honestly hate this dude lol. How dumb does he think we are?

8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

You don't move that many draft picks to unload players "because they would not play down the stretch."

Better PR move, imo, is to acknowledge what was done and talk about the possible benefits for the future.

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Not only that—-we gave up draft picks...1st rounders for it.

Tillman insulting our intelligence

10. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

It really insults fans intelligence for Fertitta to take that stance. If he wants to say, "look, I'll go into the tax for a big addition but when that doesn't materialize I go to Plan B which is tax avoidance," I'll swallow that bitter pill. Never mind that all of the teams actions show a mandate to avoid the tax and the only evidence supporting the argument "I'd go into the tax for the right person" is rumors and innuendo. But to say the moves had nothing to do with the tax, seriously??? Is that why Rockets gave up assets to move two players they easily could have cut (or just kept on the back of the roster)?

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Beat me to it

Matt78777 and Dgn1 like this.
  12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Agreed. As fans all it does is confuse and make us angry.

Teams improve with 3 tools: FA, Trades, Draft.
    Rockets traded away a draft pick AND "aggregatable salary" in BK for trades. Those are tools to improve. I would love to know their roadmap to improvement.

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Have you seen how fast defenses switched last year?

Almost at a breakneck speed.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That's major spin when you consider how much we gave up this year, for a grand total of Shump in return.

We used
    • Melton,
    • a FRP,
    • 3 SRPs and
    • all our Cash (to buy picks) in order to get under the tax,
    • not to mention Knight's expiring contract,
    • and prorating out the use of this year's MLE, which we still might not use...eg. we probably get Morris had we outbid OKC with all we had.
    As much as I'm glad we have Shump, you can't convince me he's worth a FRP all by himself, especially when we see what PHX got for Ryan Anderson, all by himself....and not to mention he's a rental, and could bolt.

Richie_Rich, BigMaloe, Kim and 22 others like this.
  15. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

But he is right, none of them would have played down the stretch in the 4th quarter of a playoff game....the only way they play is if players are injured and even then Mike has been known to run a 6 man rotation due to injuries.

Out of those players, the rockts would play ennis rather than run a very short rotation....but they would still lose.

16. treyk3

treyk3 Member

This is exactly what irks me. Les didn’t consistently defend himself to the media. Les didn’t joke about the best GMs job security in a presser.

Tilman says what he wants whether it’s accurate, insightful or helpful.

#16 treyk3, Feb 19, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Owner thinks Fans are idiots. Usually right, but not in this case.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Just because someone might not play doesn't mean you give up future assets to get rid of them.

You can cut them to free up the roster spot or keep them for injury insurance. We burned future trade assets to remove their salary from the books (with nothing in return), and then say that tax wasn't part of the decision.

19. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

20. amaru

amaru Member

To be fair, nobody was going to trade anything of value for Ennis. Ennis is not a plus NBA player.

napalm06 likes this.