1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2016-17

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 12, 2016.

1. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

@Jatman20 absolutely what I'm realizing. He would be a very solid get. He's only got 2years after this one with the last being a player option, something I imagine he'll opt out on. He's only 27 currently so age isn't an issue and a solid 7 footer and probably above average defense.

He would be a player that accepts his role off the bench and run heavy PnR.

Sacramento is crowded up front with young and talented guys. Moving koufos seems a no brained for them but it is Sacramento lol

Jatman20 likes this.
  2. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

i agree with you @BigMaloe many trades won't go thru. Teams feel they won't get value back
    on Cousins, Millsap, Dragic unless many teams get involved like the D12 to Lakers deal (contracts are hard to match w/stars $). Sixers probably want too much x Noel. Kings probably want too much on WCS because he was a 1st rd pick & young. Rockets wont pick up Hollis Thompson in hopes
    of someone like Dunleavy becoming available. I saw that Quincy Acy was picked up by Nets.

Mozgov is 0.5 blks per game......Koufos is 0.6 blks per game at half the cost.

BigMaloe likes this.
  3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The issue with Koufos is minutes. When Capela comes back are we going to just not play Harrell or Nene? Or is the plan to trade Capela or Harrell? Or Both?

There is no way we can play Capela/Harrell/Koufos and Nene consistently. If you get Koufos someone has to go. If you aren't dumping one of the other bigs, I think Brewer actually has more value to us than a 4th center.

4. justtxyank

The issue with Koufos is minutes. When Capela comes back are we going to just not play Harrell or Nene? Or is the plan to trade Capela or Harrell? Or Both?

There is no way we can play Capela/Harrell/Koufos and Nene consistently. If you get Koufos someone has to go. If you aren't dumping one of the other bigs, I think Brewer actually has more value to us than a 4th center.

BigMaloe likes this.
  5. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

What about this... Clint Capela for Thon Maker, straight up.

I'm joking...

6. BigMaloe

No I think they is sure value in a solid backup like koufos. Look I like Harrell but koufos would take his spot and play about 15-20mpg, and make harrell just an energy guy if needed. NeNe is and was just a veteran insurance policy like Jason Terry and should play as such.

But I absolutely agree we need the wing depth, so if we are losing brewer we need a replacement not named Kj McDaniel.

Backup big, rebounding and defense is our biggest weakness. But behind that it is the backup wing aka brewer and Kj is worse. So I understand your stance, but I believe if we could somehow grab a wing especially if koufos is cheap like anticipated.

7. justtxyank

So you are essentially saying Harrell will no longer play except in spot minutes?

8. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Just speaking for myself....I would deal for Koufos. Contract of Nene expires this summer. This not playing
    back to backs & saving Nene from injury bites. Nene can be saved for the playoffs & played sparingly like we
    did w/Jason Terry. Pickup another wing somewhere. Next yr projections:
    Capela/Koufos......C position locked up with no threat x Capela losing his job to Koufos....adequate b-up.
    Ryno/Harrell.........PF set w/ these 2 guys......Nene probably moves on as FA. Unless Rox win title.
    Ariza/Dekker........SF set w/ these 2 guys.....Gentile comes in depending on his current contract terms.
    Harden................PG/SG...FA or draft backup quality in case Bev/Gordon get hurt (insurance).
    Bev/Gordon.........SG/PG set w/these 2 guys........add Gary Payton III for defensive purposes.

Some moves for the future need to be made in the present. The little money the Rockets have going
    into the summer would be backup to Harden. I believe the Rockets might be able to exceed the cap
    in signing their own guys (Gentile & Payton III)......or at least less penalty.

#1068 Jatman20, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    ilias likes this.
  9. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

@BigMaloe I wrote Jason Terry before I saw your post

BigMaloe likes this.
  10. justtxyank

I don't think Harrell can really play the 4 in this offense for extended minutes, especially not with a traditional 5 on the court. That negates the space.

BigMaloe likes this.
  11. BigMaloe

Yeah if something like this where to happen and capela is back healthy I could see around 7-10 mpg.

But I also think he is the most likely to be traded. Harden is making every center look great. His value is at its highest currently.

Jatman20 likes this.
  12. justtxyank

If he is traded then that makes Koufos a lot more attractive. If not, I don't like relegating him. After this season Nene will be a free agent and if we do have Koufos we'll likely be trying to dump him for cap space. We'd regret not having Harrell next year unless he was part of a deal that brought us a good player.

BigMaloe likes this.
  13. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

You might be underestimating Harrell ability to shoot from distance. John Lucas is working with him
    every chance he gets on FT's and shooting from distance. Last night Harrell buried his FT's.
    I would put Harrell shooting for distance over Brewer at this very moment.

Nemospl likes this.
  14. justtxyank

I've complimented his FT shooting, it has gotten markedly better.

And yes he could probably outshoot Brewer from 3, but is that really a compliment?

15. BigMaloe

Yeah I can respect that. I'm for continuing his development but also caught thinking about this year Championship and improving our chances.

16. justtxyank

If Morey is going all in, I'm all for it. To me that means we are doing more than a backup big. If he's going to hedge like he has historically done every year in the past, then I don't want to let Harrell sit on the bench for a guy that we'll then attach a 1st round pick to in the offseason to dump for cap space.

BigMaloe likes this.
  17. justtxyank

If you could tell me were going for Koufos, maybe adding Barbosa or targeting Gallo or something then go for it. I WANT them to do that. I believe our chance this year is to double down and have the ability to attack other teams for 48 minutes with elite shooting. Just don't want half measures. If we traded say Brewer and a 2nd for Koufos, it's not that it's a bad deal, it's just that I don't think it moves the needle AND you create a logjam on the roster.

But not saying I'd hate the deal by any stretch and the more I've looked at what Koufos does the more I see why Morey likes him.

Jatman20, da_juice and BigMaloe like this.
  18. BigMaloe

Houston gets koufos/barbosa

Sacramento gets brewer/ulis

Phoenix gets kj/harrell

Would be a trade and works that I could get behind depending on assets passed around

justtxyank likes this.
  19. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

I know your apprehension. Such is the case with having many oft-injured players. Problem is having
    15 limit roster spots with only 12 active. I pushed for a trade for Noel before Capela got hurt. Then Caps
    gots hurt.......the league saw us as desperate & prices x centers went up. So what if the Rockets come
    close to making the finals this year & Nene says thanks guys it's been fun; but I'm going to do a David West
    & sign one year deals with other contenders or I want a 2 yr deal to stay? Rockets may be forced
    to pay more than they want for Nene.....or more than they want for a guy like Dedmon (PO). Salary
    for centers are crazy when you see the Mozgov-Koufos numbers & salary side by side. Me personally i
    would like to have centers do the dirty work of rebound/blks/PnR......& pay the minimum for it.
    I would spend more on SG/SF's as they are all the rage. SG's/SF's need to be interchangeable
    nowadays........I don't like to call them by their positions anymore......I tend to call them "Wings".
    I understand your point of view though.

#1079 Jatman20, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    justtxyank and BigMaloe like this.
  20. justtxyank

Potential target to think about is Otto Porter.

OK defender, good spot up shooter, very efficient scorer overall, relatively low salary (meaning nobody is going to be able to give up a great player for him), Washington not playing well, etc.

Wonder if they'd do a trade that sent them some salary and then picks? He'd be a tremendous fit here. Just not sure they'd see any value in our picks when I assume others would be in play. Maybe his impending RFA would scare teams to not offer?

Of course, if Washington is willing to max him out this offseason it's a non-starter.

#1080 justtxyank, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    BigMaloe likes this.