1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Yao Ming may have already peaked

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by polypheus, Dec 12, 2002.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

He has only one tourney this summer...in the first week of Aug.

It isnt like he has to leave immediately after the season and wont be back till Oct.
    More than enough time to rest.

2. albert57d

albert57d Member

rockets need to assign a nutritionist to Yao as well on the road to make sure he eats right and talk to his mother on what kind and amount of food he needs to take when he is at home in Houston since its his mother who prepares his food when he is at home.

3. topfive

topfive CF OG

Isn't that the truth? Where are all those posters who were saying we were crazy for taking Yao over J. Wil, who would step right in and be a star?

Top 8 pics:

Yao
    J. Wil
    Dunleavy
    Gooden
    Tskitishvili
    Wagner
    Hilario
    Wilcox

I'm thinking we made the right choice.

4. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

<b>I do not think YM is peaked, but to think YM will reach his full potential is a DREAM. There are a lot of obstacles, especially that he has to fulfill his national team duty during every summer. I do not think YM will have enough time to get his rest or work on his conditioning during the offseason. The Chinese national team will call him back immediately after his season is over. </b>

Yao Ming doesn't have a national duty every year. He just happens to have some over the last year or 2 because of the Olympics. Besides when he played for the Chinese team this past summer it was only for about a month or so.

5. RocksMillenium

I wonder where our favorite troll was. Yao Ming almost has a triple-double against Shaq (10 points, 10 boards, 6 blocks), yet he has a bad game and here comes the troll "Haha he has picked, I told you so!" Sure. 50 games into career and he has peaked. If you can't see how stupid this sounds I'm sorry. I guess after 50 games Amare Stoudemire should be in the HOF. Then again, so should Yao since his numbers are as good as Stoudemire's.

6. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

Yao Ming has peaked. For this season, anyway. It was obvious he was going to hit the rookie wall, and hard. He's played sooo much ball this year already outside of the NBA, and the man is tired. That's why Rudy takes Yao out early so often. He can't push the guy beyond his limits. So, here it is in a nutshell. Yao's number are going to slowly but surely drop down the rest of the year, and Stoudemire will win ROY. However, in the long run, Yao will be much better than Stoudemire. He's gonna get stronger, learn the American game better, and get a few more post moves. Now if he could just get some lift on that jump shot...

7. watashi315

watashi315 Member

Yao hasn't peaked. The guy is just TIRED, WORN OUT..plain and simple. He played on the Chinese national team during the summer, then came right into the NBA. The guy basically didn't get anytime off in 1 whole year!!! I mean come on, give him a break. He's been working his ass off and he has a few bad games because of fatigue and now people are talking smack about him behind his back. I just want to see him take a few months of in the off-season..rehabilitate and then come back with a vengance.

8. Snaz82

Snaz82 Member

Yao Ming isnt gonna be the great superstar ya all think he is. All this talk about him being what DREAM was is just that, a dream. He may not have peaked yet, but after time to adjust to the NBA and for the NBA to adjust to him, heres his stats since the start of the month of January -

28.2 mins/game
    10.6pts
    8.8rbs
    1.5ast
    0.3stls
    2.1blks
    1.4TO's
    43%FG
    68%FT

Are these really the stats of an all-star calibre player? I dont think so. All the excuses about no training camp and being tired just dont cut it. The guys a pro and he's paid to play ball, hes had enough time to adjust and he just isnt living up to the hype. He may go on to be a good player, but hes not the DYNASTY. Stevie's the future not Ming

9. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

Thanks for your first post. :)

HE HAS NOT PEAKED. What the heck...he hasn't even gone through strength training and weight lifting and conditioning. He still hasn't even been in the US for a year. We need more chemistry and maybe....another assistant coach. Hire the best coach from the NBDL.

10. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Peaked and Peaked for the season are not the same thing. Yao isn't in shape for the long haul of the 82 game season. What I don't like is that Yao is ready to call it a night before the end of the 2nd quarter. He's already sucking air.

Sorry young man. But the NBA requires you to be ready to play 48 minutes for a game. You wont. But you must be ABLE to do that.

And it gets tougher in the playoffs.

So, chalk year as a learning experience and dedicate yourself to the weight room and conditioning for next year.
    If not, you'll just keep getting your shot blocked and sucking air as usual.

#130 DavidS, Jan 25, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2003
  11. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

You said all,it's just one month.
    be more patient.
    and Steve's future? doubt it

12. austinrocket

austinrocket Member

Thats totally ridiculous to say Yao Ming has peaked. The guy is still very young and has tons of room to grow. It's not like he doesnt have any talent and that he is just tall. He has alot of talent and is still learnign how to use it.
    I think the main thing with him is getting used to the length of the season

13. carayip

carayip Member

Steve will never win a championship unless being partnered by a superstar big man (whether that man is Yao Ming or not is open to debate). Steve has realized this (I hope so anyway). The Steve fans better realize this as well.

#133 carayip, Jan 25, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2003
  14. Air China

Air China Member

For those who are standing behind Yao, be patient and we will have the last laugh. It would be our turn to say "I told you so". The wait won't be long, Yao's a quick learner. Then again, lack of skills is not Yao's problem right now. There are many issues. Physical stamina is No.1, despite all the bashing about the offensive strategy. I love Rudy, he's trying his best to help the team. I love Steve and Cat, they all want the same thing -- "W".
    I think Rudy should sit him at least a week before the All-Star's. Let him get some rest and perform well in Atlanta and then go uphill from there. As to those who said Yao has peaked and even pathetic enough to show "proof", I'm just gonna do what I did when I heard those "experts" bashing Yao a few months ago, I'll just give a chuckle ----- "You people don't learn". As the Chinese proverb says, "A Mouse sees merely an inch", how can you judge a person's career by his performance in the last month? Sure, other team would take him more seriously, you think Yao would back down and start to giving up. Remember, in his CBA debut, Yao Ming, 17 yr-old at 7'3'' and 200, fell down fifteen times and getting schooled constantly by a 6'8'' center. Had he given up then, he would just be another really really tall guy who can't find one apartment that fits him in China.
    Yao's a fighter, and he will come back and come back stronger!!!

15. wiredog

wiredog Member

Uh oh, Yao went over his peak again and shot 6 for 9 for 14 poits. I believe That's higher than his avergage, and fg % of 66. Hmmmm....Looks like he went over his "peak" to me. Add blocks rebounds and numerous changed shots..... Blame the guards and blame Rudy for Yao only shooting 9 damn shots.

16. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

Who's the moron that dug this **** from its grave again?

17. houstonkk

houstonkk Member

I agree. Steve IS after all the Franchise. The future is Steve. Let's give credit where credit's due.

18. Darrinlane

Darrinlane Member

The moron troll that started it. He only comes around when Yao isn't doing well.

19. RocksMillenium

I know this is days later, but I mean peaked not picked. I hate not having the edit function! :(

20. RocksMillenium

Hey genius, just to show how smart you are, I pulled the stats of some other players and compared them to Yao Ming. According to you these guys aren't superstars either:

Kobe Bryant - 7.6 ppg .7 spg, 1.3 apg 41.7% from the field
    When he got minutes like Ming his 2nd year
    26 minutes per game 15.4 ppg, .9 spg, 2.5 apg 42% from the field
    This is while Kobe was maturing physically as a player like Ming is doing. I guess Kobe sucks huh?

Tracy McGrady - 7 ppg 4.2 rpg 1.5 apg off of 45% FG.
    Getting minutes like Ming 22 minutes per game his 2nd year 9.3 ppg 5.6 rpg, 43.6% FG

Now this is the comparison that speaks volumes about Ming and what he is going through and at the same time exposes Snaz82 as the troll that he is. Take a look at Ming's numbers, now look at Dirk Nowitzki his first year in the league after playing overseas:

Dirk Nowitzki - 8.2 ppg 3.5 rpg, .6 bpg, .6 spg 40.5% shooting from the field, 20% from 3pt range in 20 minutes per game of action. Add an extra 10 minutes to that in theory, and I'd say Dirk puts up about 10 to 12 ppg and about 6 rpg. The ironic thing is Ming has almost played more games in his rookie year then Dirk did, Dirk only played in 47 games. So when you see trolls like Snaz82 talking about how Ming has had time to adjust to the league, just look at stats like this to expose them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.