1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming may have already peaked

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by polypheus, Dec 12, 2002.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. polypheus

polypheus Member

After only about 20 games, Yao Ming has made tremendous progress and has played well over these past few games. Many people believe he can only get better and may eventually become one of the best centers ever.

However, as NBA defenses adjust his progress will slow down significantly. And his last game's stats reveal a disturbing trend, namly that Yao may start forcing bad shots (he shot an abysmal 5 of 14) in order to keep his ppg numbers up.

It is true that Yao Ming may actually get better with time and experience. But it is far more likely that Yao Ming right now is as good as he'll ever be. This isn't a criticism because even if this is as good as he'll ever be, it is more than worth being the first overall pick especially when comparing him to the likes of Kwame Brown and such.

Even if he is as good as he'll ever be right now, that is still pretty good!

However, one should not expect more now or in the future from Yao than what he has already provided.

2. drapg

drapg Member

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Statistically, he may never be much better than 25 ppg, 12 boards, and 3 blocks.

But that's true of many players, including Jordan and Hakeem.

He still has many areas to develop, including post moves, strength, quickness, shot- blocking, and even passing. He's great at passing but that just makes me think that he can get better.

Eventually, like Jordan, he will learn how to get his teammates involved early and then how to take over a game. We also have to see how much of a clutch player he is down the stretch and in the playoffs.

As far as forcing shots, that's the offense Rudy runs. He's isolated on the post, nobody is open. He has to shoot it.

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I expect him to get much worse, after he gets stronger and has a training camp and summer league like most rookies get.

And oh yeah when he learns a little more english and gets used to living in the U.S.

Yeah he may not get better he may even get worse.:rolleyes:

5. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

hur? abysmal 4-15? or abysmal bouble double?

Remember he has not start his weight training program YET!!

6. Shark Rocket

Shark Rocket Member

Dude, he got a flu. If he still could shoot over 60%, he would be god himself. 5/14 is very acceptable to me.

7. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

To say he can't improve anymore would mean you're saying that:

1) he can't gain anymore strength/size
    2) he can't learn any new moves
    3) he can't learn any new plays
    4) he can't develop better chemistry with his teammates

Sounds ridiculous to me. :rolleyes:

8. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

sorry double post.

9. xlr817

xlr817 Member

GET LOST U anti-Yao Ming TROLL!! Too bad Ur crappy favorite team could't get him!!;) And please, don't kiss a donkey, they have been abused enough already!!:cool: Remember, he is still a rookie and will get even better!! And also he's only 22 y.o.!! HAHAHAH!:D

10. heech

heech Contributing Member

What?

I sense a huge flood of flames coming your way.

First of all, Yao did have a poor shooting night at 5/14... but many of those misses were shots we've seen Yao make with great consistency. They were relatively well-defended (with a hand in his face), but Yao can certainly make those shots. 5/14 will be the exception; something like 8/14 will probably be the rule. (Which, by the way, translates to 20+ ppg for the guy.)

Second, he's still not shooting as much now as he will in two years. Even though he got 14 shots in his last game, he should be able to inch up at least another 3-4 attempts. (Again, at least 20+ ppg is reasonable.)

Third, Yao's endurance is still building. Even in the current stretch, he's getting just above 30 minutes a game. And it's reasonable to assume that for some of the time he's in the game, he's still too tired to really at a peak level. There's little doubt that he can improve here, and his average + scoring will increase.

Finally, he's already rebounding very well (look at the past 4 games), but he can only improve with upper-body strength.

There are a lot of positive trends in Yao's development here. There are very, very few negative trends. In a few years, I think Yao'll be at 20+ ppg, 14+ rpg, 5+ apg, 3+ bpg.

11. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I thought I'd never say this, but we sure could use GrEgOnOmIcS right about now...

12. WNBA

WNBA Member

He can be forced to shoot by coach. But he will never force himself to shoot for ppg.
    BTW, those abysmal 4/15 including crucial game winning 6 points.

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I think it's part of the offense. When he has put up some of those shots where he was one on one, there was no alternative. Nobody was cutting to the basket, nobody was coming off a pick to get open on the outside. Kinda sucks, cuz I would like to see Yao average well over 60%, but if this offense wings games then so be it.

14. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

Add stamina to the list...also getting older and EVEN smarter once he adjust to the NBA, he's only 22...

15. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

In the same way the rest of the league will adjust to Yao's progress, Yao will adjust to the rest of the league. Just look at the improvement he has made when facing a team for the second time. Once he becomes familiar with how other teams play and play him, he will only get better, not worse.

16. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

This post brought to you by an idiot that was saying that Yao wasn't as good as bradley in his first 2 posts, then says nothing after Yao has a bunch of great games, but comes back to say that Yao won't be any better than he is already. Go away you fool and come back when you learn a thing or 2 about basketball...nobody peaks in 20 games. Moron.

17. solid

solid Contributing Member

I totally disagree: I don't think you have seen anything yet. He is too smart not to keep improving. He is going to get more aggressive, stronger, better moves, and even sweeter shots. He is no where near his peak. He is just getting started. On yes, teams will double, maybe even triple team him, but Frances and Mobley will make them pay.

18. napster

napster Member

You guys are getting a little carried away. Yao is definitely something special, but as defenses adjust to him, he will face some problems. And no, he hasn't peaked yet, but at the same time, people are expecting a bit too much out of him.

19. MASTERASIA

MASTERASIA Member

EXACTLY!!! You took the words right out of my mouth! This little TROLL need to get lost!!

20. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

What kind of problems? Do you mean when he draws an automatic double every possession, he wont be able to score as much? Thats the only way they'll be able to slow him down when he reaches his prime, and when that happens, our team will start rolling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.