1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming may have already peaked

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by polypheus, Dec 12, 2002.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bongman

bongman Member

Can you enlighten us UNsensible posters about how this became <B>FACT</B>? It is usually a good idea to back up FACTUAL claims with statististical data that will show historical trends. If you can somehow back that up, I am almost sure that there would be a lot more posters here that will be more than willing to accept this as a possibility(not fact).

2. fasthand2000

fasthand2000 Contributing Member

You got to be kidding! Yao miss the summer training camp, missed most of the pre-season, and only 20 games in nba!
    I think he is just warming up for the nba!!

3. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

[​IMG]

#43 StupidMoniker, Dec 12, 2002
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2002
  4. mycatuity

mycatuity Member

you got me into big worry:)

that simply is the most creative Yao bashing I have ever seen!

5. polypheus

polypheus Member

I would like to point out that I am merely stating the possibility that Yao Ming may have already peaked (or is close to it). I am not claiming that he definitely has already peaked.

Yes he can continue to improve and become even better and the overinflated expectations of Yao may actually come to pass, as unlikely as this might be. But it is also at least possible that Yao Ming may never realize these overinflated and somewhat unrealistic expectations of him, namely that Yao Ming will someday be in the same league as centers such as Hakeem, etc.

To gain insight, let us look at the career stats of Rik Smits:
    http://www.nba.com/playerfile/rik_smits/

He had a very good rookie season with numbers very close to Yao Ming's numbers and overall had a very good career. However, he never did become a great hall of fame type center that some believe Yao Ming might end up achieving.

There are basically three possible projections of Yao's career:
    (a) Hakeem Olajuwon - a Hall of Fame career, one of the best ever
    (b) Rik Smits - a solid though not spectacular career
    (c) Shawn Bradley - mostly a disappointment

It is really all speculation what type of career Yao will have when he retires. No I cannot say or prove that Yao will have a Shawn Bradley or Rik Smits kind of career any more than you can prove that Yao will have a Hakeem type of career either.

All I can say is based on what I have seen so far, unless someone can argue otherwise, there is no reason for me to believe that Yao Ming will achieve a career significantly better than a Rik Smits type career. (And if that is the case, it is no disgrace or disappoinment as Rik Smits had a very good career).

6. bluecat

bluecat Member

BAN THIS TROLL IMMEDIATELLY

This is THE most adamant TROLL I ever seen

(other than the next dumb thing. oh wait! does this one popped up after the retirement of tndt?)

7. cujo

cujo Member

The guy has just played 20 games. In the beginning he was a bust, then he's a future hall of famer, now he's peaked. Oh boy,...........can' we just let the guy play a full season? One thing is for sure, he is no bust and he can play ball. That's all i gotta know for now.

8. noskrillwill

noskrillwill Member

who cares if he peaked? If his teammates can make the buckets on his passes, he woulda averaged garnett-type numbers for the past 2 weeks. BTW Sportsline is already saying that Yao is starting to DOMINATE. Yea, I'll settle for domination...

I'm just glad the NBA finally has a center that can dominate with skill as opposed to brute force. If i wanna watch some 300 lb ****** bully someone around, i'll watch football...

9. YaoROY

YaoROY Member

:confused:

I guess you are either a troll (should be banned immediately) or you never read other threads. Tons of reasons have been posted to show that Yao is already better than Rik and is chasing guys like the Dream, Ewing or D.Robinson right now. Do your homework and read the threads. If you post something like this again without reading other threads I think you deserve to be banned.

10. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

To answer an awfully stupid post from an awfully stupid troll. You compared Yao to 1) Dream 2) Smits 3) Bradley.

I'll start with Bradley. Somebody tell me why he's playing ball? Obviously no skill at all. Not only that, no athleticism, no footwork, no lateral movement, no D, no jumping ability, blah blah blah. I never knew a 7'6 guy can be this invisible on the court. And yet EVEN BRADLEY IS AVERAGE 10 PPG THIS SEASON. So I guess obviously Yao won't be much better huh? I fail to see that logic.

Then Smits. Smits was NEVER KNOWN for his offensive game. For starters he can't J. And for a pretty big guy he's reb number isn't too impressive. Through the injuries he lost what little game he had left.

Finally, Dream. He was a great one. Obviously a HOF. Great passer late in his career, excellent footwork, soft touch, amazing athleticism, great D. Now here is Yao: great passer, excellent footwork, soft touch, MUCH improved D. SEE THE SIMILARITY YET? Hakeem's got more athleticism but Yao's got the height advantage and is arguably smarter.

Will Yao become Hakeem? I don't know but the potential and the talent is definitely there.

BTW, the only way any player peaks in 20 games at the age of 22 is if Tonya Harding's ex whacked him in the knee.

11. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

I guess trying to compare Ming with Rik Smits or Shawn Bradley is considered to be an old and boring topic on this bbs by now. If you want to know more about our opinions on the comparison, try to search the older threads. Actually you have started a thread to compare Ming with Bradley a few days ago. I think a lot of our fellow posters have replied to it.

Still, people said you are a troll because of your speculation that a player may have reached his peak 20 games into his rookie season. That's the topic of this thread afterall. Right? ;)

12. noskrillwill

noskrillwill Member

LOL polypheus, i just read your first post and u pretty much made the exact same argument, but with shawn bradley...

who's next on the ladder? divac? sabonis?

sorry buddy you're 0-1 so far.

13. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

I am sure it will be LaRue Martin. :D

14. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Member

When ur 22 years old...there is no such thing as "i have already peak in my performance." There is still a lot to learn on the court. Gaining experience and continue playing until he is 25 to 27...then i can say he is at his "PEAK." For now, it is just rediculous to even argue about this pointless topic.

15. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

What NBA team do you scout for?
    How long have you been in the business?
    Would you mind sharing with us your experience and resume?
    Obviously you have a vast knowledge of the NBA game.
    Most of us here had no idea that Yao has peaked. Thanks for the insight.

16. GreatProgrammer

haha... this kid is funny. hey, but u better go home and do your homework and prepare for ur exam tomorrow. :p

17. ccc

ccc Member

wow, nowadays the yao haters jumped out after changing their user names!

tell me who peaked at age 22? MJ. magic, bird, duncan or rik smith?

you are stupid if not trolling.

18. never

never Member

i am a Yao Fan, but.....

I totally understand poly 's feeling.
    reason:
    1. probably he/she is >= to 22 years old, she/he alrady reached the peak ------> (Life, "Sex ability" etc...)

another reason is just very simple
    JEALOUS JEALOUS JEALOUS

U were not me, how did u know my feeling
    yeah u are not yao how do u know itz yao's peak or not

19. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Uh how many players reach their peak in their early in their careers? (injuries are the exception) I cant honestly think of one off the top of my head. I cant understand on why you would think that. Is he going to progess this much game by game for along time. Obviously not but hes gotten better every single week, this will not stop for a while.

20. Possum

Possum Member

polypus you have started 2 threads within your first 5 posts. "Yao Ming may have already peaked" and "Yao Ming vs Shawn Bradley" It's obvious why you are here. Why not tell us who you really are Troy B, gettingbranded or elgrandquesso? You know Clutch or one of the crew will figure it out soon and kick your ass out again so just go away!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.