1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming: I'm Attempting To Become the Leader of this team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pryuen, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

something to say about a 10+ year vet

Rocket RIver

2. MotionDefense

MotionDefense Member

I know it's painful for you to read this thread. Yeah you had to say 9 rebounds instead of 10 because it would make Yao look a little better than what you hoped for if you reminded people that he's averaging 20/10 there. And I like how you end your post by cowardly hiding behind the "LETS GO ROCKETS" chants. Rest assured that if Yao has been sucking and we are losing, you would be one of the fools who yell this must be a Tmac's team. You are just as dumb as anyone who tries to argue this is Yao's team.

3. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

JVG was spot on with his comments, that is why we got rolled in the first round to Dallas and Utah

No leadership on the court....

4. rocketgo

rocketgo Member

Yao can be a leader, he is the only leader of the Chinese national team, his heart, passion, determination and hard work has affected Chinese national team.
    Yao wants to and tried to be the leader of rox, but he failed and was just attempting. Coz this team has T-Mac, one of the most talented players in the league, Yao felt he was not as good and as talented as T-Mac, he and his teammates acknowledged this was T-Mac's last couple years.
    With hard works, Yao gradually becomes one of the best centers and one of the best low post players in this league, and T-Mac's healthy problems and T-Mac's lack of leadership drives Yao to become the leader. He chooses to be the leader coz he wants this team plays better and win titles, he is chosen to be the leader coz every team should have a leader with consistent contribution and mental toughness to lead their teams.
    I really hope T-Mac to be the leader, he is so talented, I love T-Mac, but the truth proved it couldn't on him.
    I think most rox fans expected Yao to be the leader or even the next dream ever since he was picked as the No. 1st pick in 2002, so let's give Yao some credit and confidence and see what he brings to us fans.
    Sorry for my poor english, and I'm a rox fan, not a YOF or TOH.

5. marciagong

marciagong Member

I love Yao and Tmac equally. so I don't have a problem with who the leader is as long as we can win. :)

6. ydqkang

ydqkang Member

easy to say
    hard to do
    we really need everyone be responsible fro team,not only Yao and T-lady

7. oneonepyopyo

oneonepyopyo Member

I would like to call Warriors as Baron Davis's team if I need to pick one of them. The key is who we are building the team around?

I would be happier to call this team as Duo's Team, but if I have to choose one of them. I will choose Yao.

8. wolverinemich

wolverinemich Member

Basketball games need a leader for sure.

In locker room you need a leader to inspire teammates; SF3 used to do a great job; but then he got traded; And Juan took over but then he got traded . I don't know who is doing it right now. But better somebody be there doing the job

on courts you need a leader to coordinate and communicate among each other on fastbreaks and transition defense; Yao mentioned a couple of times in his interviews that they can and should do better on each possession via more communication and coordination.

even in daily training you need a leader to motivate or spank teammates, especially considering RA is the so-called player's coach and his laissez-faire approach. Look at how fat Q Richardson is right now and how Knicks sucks; Yao also complained a bit in the past about teammates not showing up in time at Toyota center.

Ball games need leaders, man. The sooner Rox makes it clear instead of the two-driver ambiguity, the better.

9. rvpals

rvpals Member

I think Yao is already a leader.

Even though he doesn't say it, he displayed leadship ability in a lot of ways. By playing hard, by going that extra miles in practice. Giving his all in every game.

That is leadership.

10. yaorta

yaorta Member

step up and take the leadership, we're all got ur back

11. fuzzy88

fuzzy88 Member

It is not about anyone's team, but it is about who leads, who sets the tone, who sets the pace, and whose mindset the others look up to.

I am hoping Yao continues to lead the team. McLady wanted to lead (It's on Me, remember?), but he gave up too easily when the going got tough. He was the leader all right, but he led everyone else to give up too. Yao, on the other hand, never gave up (from the games I had watched anyway, including the playoffs last year). He might got really exhausted, but not giving up. Hope Yao's mindset rubs off with the teammates when it really counts.

12. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

we had yet to see jeff van gundy's greatest opportunity in coaching this rockets team... when he actually handed the team over to yao and tmac and empowered them to lead the team.

he delayed and it cost him his job. but i can see it both ways. these guys weren't quite ready.

ah well... i hope adelman is picking up where jeff left off. these past few games have been refreshing.

13. oldyellow

oldyellow Member

The translation is not accurate due to cultural difference. I believe in Yao's words, it should be "I am trying to lead the team". In Chinese words, the "trying" also has the meaning of "learning".

14. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Inaccurate? Cultural difference?

Give me a break. :rolleyes:

I am an ethnic Chinese born in China, raised in colonial Hong Kong's English education systems, and studied university in Taiwan. I trust that I am well-conversant in both English and Chinese.

Look up the dictionary and you'll know attempt = try.

#54 pryuen, Jan 11, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  15. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Classic JVG. Such little faith in his players. Look how quickly Chris Paul, Lebron and Dwayne wade became leaders. And he is going to say Yao and TMac aren't ready. Well then make them ready and don't tell them they aren't ready That only undermines their confidence even more! Instead tell them this is your team , you have to lead them but don't worry I will help. Then assist them to become better prepared to handle it. Another example of JVG's coaching ineptitude. JVG = Smart basketball mind lousy people motivator.

It's a wonder Adelman got the team on track as quickly as he did. He had to first deprogram the team to understand they can think on their own and don't have to act like robots standing around doing only exactly what they are told. The team was in shock for almost 2 months trying to get that concept.

16. withYAO

withYAO Member

Great Yao!
    Lead the team to championship.

17. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

Nah, it will never happen. Too many obstacles.

Sincerely,
    Hakeem Olajuwon

18. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Seconded,
    Steve Nash

19. nancychang

nancychang Member

to be honest, im not used to seein' that Yao become the leader of rox, tmac either. but i do hope when Yao is tryna lead the team, he can be a good leader...and others will listen to him~ ;)

20. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

Yao is the leader now and after him is Scola
    T Mac's time is over.