1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming: I'm Attempting To Become the Leader of this team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pryuen, Jan 10, 2008.

1. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Interesting interview of Yao Ming by Zheng Peng of Basketball Pioneers.

ENJOY !! :D

2. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Very interesting interview. Thanks.

I believe Yao can lead the Rockets, if only he decides to. When he first arrived he couldn't, when he was struggling with English and the culture. Now he has seniority and the star performance; surely most of the younger guys are ready to follow his lead.

Interesting that he claims T-Mac was unable to become the leader of the team (as Yao himself was) during JVG (not BECAUSE of JVG). I'm sure his words will stir another T-storm among posters.

3. caffreys_irish_ale

caffreys_irish_ale Contributing Member

I just hope that Yao doesn't get Iso-ed.

4. tested911

tested911 Member

"The team has more confidence playing without T-Mac right now," Yao said. "That doesn't mean we don't need him. You have to face to those games when you don't have him. When you miss him, you still have to play. We're finding a way to play without him right now."

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

JVG steps in to lead.....disaster...

6. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Interesting part about JVG saying T-Mac and Yao were not ready to be leaders so he chose to be leaders. I have to agree with him. It also says a lot about our too stars? Have they been too passive in the past? Up until this point, Yao has not really shown to be a true leader. He may not be the leader that JVG was but he is definitely getting there. The little bald man's toughness is rubbing off on Big Yao Ming.

7. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Well, if your two stars haven't shown that they can be leaders, somebody has to do it. Nobody better than the Coach to be that man.

8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

They say, "leader" a lot. Anyone else notice that?

9. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

Thanks, pryuen. And it makes me warm inside to think that Yao will start playing like he did when Tracy went out last season.

10. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I saw this too, somewhere. It wasn't in the interview though was it? Problem: there are two possible meanings: 1) we feel more confident about playing without T-Mac now; 2) it's better for our confidence when he is not on the floor

11. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

This is a great interview. Yao makes a good point that lots of players like Jermaine O'Neal miss, namely that black holes on offense can rack up points but lose the game for their team in the process. What I think Yao says less overtly is that he's trying to lead the team but isn't getting any help. I agree, although I am at a loss as to how we go about making that better.

If I had to guess, I would say that Yao knows he's a better player when
    T-Mac isn't in the game, and that the team (as a whole) does better when T-Mac's out as well. This winning streak is some proof of that, but it bears mention that we haven't exactly been beating good teams. In order to keep this going, we need to quit putting so much emphasis on T-Mac in the offense. We can't do a Kobe/Shaq thing for obvious reasons. If somebody is going to wear out Superman cape it should be Yao.

I wish we could use T-Mac as a prototypical small forward, who contributes on offense without dominating the ball. But that's not going to happen, and I'm not basketball-saavy enough to know how to make our star tandem play at their best while on the court together. :(

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Disaster to the tune of 50 wins (and without much contribution from superstar VSpan, too)?

This is the kind of stuff that makes people think you are a drama queen. For God's sake the Rockets just played the Knicks twice in a week. We know what a disaster actually looks like.

13. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

I think DD is referring to the playoffs where leadership on the court is more pivotal to winning.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It is up to the coach to develop a leader on the floor, because when the chips are down and the drawn play is not working the play has to come from the players.

It is a players league, they ultimatly decide the game, and the coach should entrust them, empower them if you will.

That is hopefully what RA is doing.

50 wins? Big deal, it is about preparing the team for the playoffs, and to be able to face adversity and not only stand up to it, but actually thrive under it.

Coaches that micromanage too much are doing their team a disservice, a perfect blend of tough love and trust is Popovich, he gets on his team when he needs to and gets out of the way when that is the appropriate startegy.

Some coaches (I believe JVG) are too micromanagement oriented.....

I like what Rick Adelman is doing, and as evidence to his success, just look at this year's record without TMac compared to the last few without him. (and we played crappy teams in those years too, we just lost to em without Tmac)

Rick is building a team, that can withstand pressure and adversity and is not relient on one player.

That is the way to a championship. You can call it drama all you like, I call it the truth.

If you have ever lead a sports team, or managed a project of individual egos, there is a massive difference between dictator and someone who leads through empowerment. I think the better end result is not from a dictator...but from the team.....as a whole.

DD

#14 DaDakota, Jan 10, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  15. yaozhuxi

yaozhuxi Contributing Member

i have to say, finally, this is yao's team. some people want to deny the reality.

16. Fuse

Fuse Member

Yao can be a leader. I really don't know what's holding him back, because he's completely different on the national team.

I like how his humility. He's trying his best and that's all we can really ask for. I don't know about you, but there aren't that many individuals so dedicated to their profession and their obligation to the community. Having both Deke and Yao is truly a blessing.

He does have his flaws as a player, but unfortunately, I don't think most of us will realize his true value to the team until the day he retires or gets traded.

17. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Yao has a funny way of saying, "Sometimes doing less, is more.", doesn't he?

18. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

This team reminds me of the way Golden State played last year against Dallas in the playoffs. It seems they are running and playing hard. Would you say that the Warriors are Baron Davis's team? Or Stephen Jackson's? No.

The major production as of recently has not been Yao. Yao is going to get his 24 points and 9 boards regardless. (he'll also have his 5 turnovers, but that's for a different time. The reason we've been winning is because the others, Rafer, Scola, Head, Brooks, Bonzi, have been stepping up and contributing what they were suppossed to all year. If anything, this is Rafer's team right now. He is playing out of his mind.

Before, we crown this "anyone's team", which is stupid anyways considering everyone has a part, lets get Tracy back and see how he screws up the offense first.

Yao had a great night last night. He played like he should have been playing all year. He is not a leader, so he must keep "attempting" or whatever.

How about instead of "LETS GO YAO'S TEAM!!!", we chant "LETS GO ROCKETS!!!".

19. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I agree with you. But if a player wants to be a leader, he has to show it. I don't think coaches develop leaders. You either are a leader or not. It's a players league for sure so it's on the player to step up and be a leader.

If a coach has to come in and say that "Ok fine, then I'll be the leader.", then those guys might not be leadership material. I'm sure JVG much rather have his 2 stars be the leader(s) instead of himself.

20. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I hope it's not just a lot of talk. The team needs somebody to step up and take the leadership role and Yao has all of the tools, he just needs to put them to use.