1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming: I'm Attempting To Become the Leader of this team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pryuen, Jan 10, 2008.

1. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

i wish we could use t-mac as a small foward who doesnt dominate the ball too, like a corey magette, stackhouse, or marion, someone who receives the ball from the arc and then penetrates. think about it. without t-mac we can compete with any team in the league, and adding t-mac should make us so much better. i really think t-mac needs to play like marion or stackhouse in order for us to be great.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hmmm, I see your point, I guess the problem is more with identifying who your leader is.

I think Yao has that in him, and it is danged clear that Tmac doesn't.

So when Tmac defers to Yao full time....that is when the team will take off.

DD

3. Fuse

Fuse Member

But t-mac spent his last 6/7 years, and career prior to toronto being the guy that dominates that ball. As they say, its hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

I'm cautiously optimistic with his return, but I can't say I'm not worried.

4. marciagong

marciagong Member

I remember Mac tried to defer to Yao when he first came here, but Yao was not ready back then. I'm sure he will be more than happy to do it since Yao has developed so much.

5. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

I think you are giving our team wayy too much credit. To say we can compete with any team in the league, is saying a lot considering our only quality win in the last six games has been Orlando. We have been playing better, but getting Tmac back isn't that big of a deal, because we were losing with him.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

There is a legitimate debate as to whether the Adelman's approach (and I think it is a calculated strategy for him to do so rather than a lack of leadership ability) of letting (or even forcing) a player to step into a leadership role or the more hands-on "be the leader" approach guys like Van Gundy and Larry Brown employed works better. It is most likely context dependent. Adelman himself had good runs working the way he did in SAC and POR, but not so much with the GSW.

There are guys who are successful either way-- and those who have failed either way. No so long ago, a ton of people are blaiming Adelman... now all after a few wins, Adelman is king. Do you remember the "You will be Iso-ed by us" rumor thread? Take a look at it and see how many people were b****ing that Yao should not have called out the team and how his attempt at "leadership" was resulting in TMac supposedly backlashing?

In any case, I am not so sure that, had Adelman had 3-4 years team with the previous version of Yao, he would have been ready to step into a leadership role even if Adelman lets him. Yao Ming has grown a lot over this time.

7. abc2007

abc2007 Member

It's too early to say something like that!

NBA players lead by examples. I hope Yao won't disappoint the fans with sky high expectation.

Pryuen, I don't like the title. I guess you create it. You should be more careful! I doubt Yao or his agents will sue you someday.

8. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

That's probably what he meant. I mean, Yao's a smart guy.

Plus they had a horrible record without T-Mac and now they've found ways to win without him, so the first meaning makes more sense given the context of the situation.

9. hotsouthtree

hotsouthtree Member

I totally disagree with you. And team need a leader who other people can rely on him. The charactor of the leader is the charactor of the team.
    Now, Yao is the cabre of the team when without T-mac. When T-mac was cabre of the team, Rocket could win some games and went to the playoff but could never pass the first round.

It is the time for Yao to be the leader of the Rocke team and we need to see what will happen finally, especially in th playoff time.

That is also the same reason that Glold state won the game against us when their coach was rejected but Knics clashes down because a truly leader Davis is in Gold state but not one in Knics.

If you donot understand this, you donot understand life.

10. abc2007

abc2007 Member

This interview remind me of Tmac's 'it's on me' interview.

The two interviews are same kind of things!

They were both trapped!

11. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Go away you Yao Hater !! :mad:

Why do you think it is too early to say something like that? It's Big Yao's 6th season in NBA, and being the most senior and original member of the team, he had shown he is now becoming a more mature player, sort of entering his prime, and had been giving this team consistent 20/10 performance day-in day-out.

Leading by examples? That is exactly what he has been doing throughout all these years. Just name me one Rocket player who has been working hard on his game by coming 2 hours earlier than every other players on team practice or pre-game shootout practice. Name me the player who always stays behind to workout in the gym for his strength and conditioning training even after an exhaustive game.

Tracy McGrady ? :rolleyes:

Sue me? Give me a break. :rolleyes: I did not create the title. I just adopted the original title of Zheng Peng's aricle from Baskeball Pioneers.

12. WNBA

WNBA Member

Every time Yao talked, his game betrayed him.

13. MB20

MB20 Member

There´s not such thing as "attempting" to be a leader, IMO.

14. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Actaully, You are a YOH! I think MacGreater is correct. You just want to attention! You have never been a true Yao's fan!

15. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Yao talked about making sacrifices before the Washington game. Look where he is now.

16. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Me....a YOH ??? :rolleyes: ROFLMAO !! :D

If you have NOTHING to counter what I rebuked your arguement, then yeah just revert to call me a YOH or a YOF....whatever you like....loser !!

#36 pryuen, Jan 10, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  17. Hanbin

Hanbin Member

This kind of thinking and the "can't learn leadership you have to be a born leader" kind of thinking are some of the greatest misconceptions around.

If that were true, how in the world would leadership training work? All of the service academies, leadership training in the military, business schools and management courses in the world would be completely worthless. All of them are predicated on the concept of learning how to lead.

Leadership is entirely situational. No one ever says that Yao is not a leader when it comes to the Chinese national team. Why? Because the situation is more in line with his leadership styles and tendencies. On the Rockets, not so much, but that is changing, either because he is changing some or the Rockets are changing some or all of the above.

And there is "attempting" to be a leader - you try to lead. You may fail, for a multitude of reasons, but that does not mean you didn't try.

18. kwng

kwng Member

I think these few games Yao have shown some changes. He did talk to Head at times when he lost the ball and giving small instructions here and there.
    However, what I really like seeing these few games about Yao is that he has got his efficiency back and AN EXTRA ROUGHNESS or should I say "VIOLENT".
    I say him steam rolled that poor knick (highlighted in one of the thread) and then last night Yao just turned and "shoulder" (gave a hard knock using his shoulder) a Knick player on the chest and the poor Knick guy was grimacing after that rubbing his chest. These are good signs as an leader. If more is coming, ppl will fear Yao and get out his way.

19. bloop

bloop Member

it's hard to teach someone how to be a leader. some guys have it and others dont. you can go to a peewee league games and see 10 year old kids who pick up other kids, whisper in their ear, encourage them, and chew em out. who knows how that develops but some guys have it some do not

Obviously there are "silent leader" types who lead by example but every team still needs an emotional leader, the guy who rallies the team. Yao is NOT yet a silent leader... but he's working on getting there. Will he ever be the floor leader? probably not, that's going to have to come from either the coach or someone else to step up

The problem for yao is that even when his numbers deliver (30 PPG last season for example) his game doesn't lend itself to make on-the-court "statements" with big dunks and high flying blocks. (last night being an exception)

corporate "leadership training" is often an euphemism. you could just as accurately call it "followship training." ive sat in rooms with binders listening to some cheezy dude and it basically boils down to: follow the chain of command. basically you learn how to follow policy in every situation and how to not get pissed when someone mouths off at you or doesn't pull his weight.

you cant teach dynamic leadership... you really do either have it or dont. IMO you can LEARN it through personal hardship/experience/breakthroughs but it's not like a coach or psychologist can sit you down and make you into a leader in 5 sessions or w/e

20. piGhead#3

piGhead#3 Member

dont be mad man. just like what yao has said, it's hard to be a team leader for a foreigner. and also it's hard for you to let others believe yao has been the leader. People simply cannot accept the fact.