1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Y! Sports]Hou has gotten inquires for F Jeffries

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The_Yoyo, Aug 5, 2010.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Well we'll need that if we're going to take Curry. I didn't think they'd trade one without the other.

1 person likes this.
  2. alethios

alethios Member

NY must like way we do it, because they keep comin' back for more. Maybe there's some truth in that Morey knows how to talk dirty to them.

3. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

or maybe morey knows how to work it... on the phone

4. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Jeffries + Battier + Taylor = Curry + Walker + $3m. Saves $6m in salary and LT + an extra $3m NYK cash for a $9m total savings. Bad news is there is no way they are getting under the LT with that move. But I don't see how you can get under the LT if we are taking on Curry. Walker is a super cheap borderline starter that would make a great Martin backup or insurance policy if he does go down. While I used to think there was some life left in Eddie, I have given up hope after watching the few minutes of him last year. Worse player on the floor - both ends.

Personally I think Jeffries is way overpaid but ok role player. I like his D. Shane is good for the locker room but I think his court days are over. Taylor knows how to get to the basket but that is where his game stops.

Knicks get 3 expiring guys they can use this year to fill in the roster holes for 1 player and a -1 player. Bad thing is that trade actually gives the Knicks more trading pieces to make a move. Curry is unmovable. Shane, Jared and Jermaine are movable as fillers in a big trade.

Yao / Miller / Hayes / Curry
    Scola / Hill / Patterson
    Ariza / Budinger / Harris / Johnson
    Martin / Walker
    Brooks / Lowry

That would give us an even stronger bench by trading in parts we don't need for a part we do (backup sg). We'd have a slight weakness on the back up PF but overall not a bad 9 man rotation.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I agree.

I am not sure what the Knicks are after here. The tweet sounds like Curry for JJ is the center piece of the deal for the Knicks, so it kind of sounds like they actually want JJ's service. (I doubt they want to or need to dump salaries given that they are not paying the tax and the team is rich.)

The thing is, I am thinking that the Knicks can probably find a much more willing trade partner to do a trade of Curry for someone similar to JJ and charge them much less for it. Not that Morey wants to be an ******* to them, mind you, it's just that the incentives line up to make Houston much less likely to make such a deal than another team with a similar player on a simialr contract would.

First, the Rockets have the Knicks pick and would have an incentive not to do anything to help them get better, even in a minor way. JJ actually played 28 mpg for them last year and contributed on the defensive end (I mean, being one of the few guys who could actually defend on that roster) while Curry never gets any time. Another team who doesn't have the Knicks' pick doesn't have that issue.

Second, Houston is pretty deep on prety much all roster spots, so has less incentive to get another player who is merely "good" instead of "really really good." Some team with a hole at SF might like W. Chandler. The Rockets already have guys who are pretty much just as good there.

Third, as you said, if the Rockets are looking to retain the option to do a tax-relief dump in the event a "star" trade doesn't happen, the difference between EC's salary and Jeffries' salary is significant. In fact, given that each trade can only include $3 mil cash, it's a lot easier to dump a couple of smaller deal than one big deal. $3 mil cash will likely cover all of JJ's remaining salary as of the trade deadline. It probably will not be enough to cover Curry's remaining salary as fo the deadline.

So, unless the Knicks really really wants JJ and no one else, I'd think they are better off getting a similar guy on a similar contract from another team.

6. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

If it turns out to be anything like that then I would rather pass.

I realize that the idea of Jared freakin Jeffries getting interest from several teams is amazing and exciting, but I wouldn't be so quick to get rid of him.

If we were to trade him now then we would receive significantly less as opposed to trading him at the deadline, such was the situation with Tracy McGrady. Obviously the contracts were much, much different but if we were to package Jeffries expiring contract along with Battier's and other assets (youngins and Knicks pick), we could potentially get back another borderline all-star or heck, even a star.

Speculation of players like Iggy, Granger, Paul and even Melo could be available at the deadline. However, if Morey could get back a pretty decent deal for Jeffries now then I wouldn't be opposed to it. Houston can offer the same package at the deadline except replace Jeffries with Ariza.

Obviously its Morey's call and I'm just some crazy fan that is probably not making any sense but meh.

7. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Why would they want him back ..?

8. StevieCrossover

Jared Jeffries will be used hardly in Houston and this would be a great way to get the Rockets closer to being under the luxury tax. Jeffries is still a pretty good decent player but do the rockets need a 3rd back-up center in Curry? Curry has dramatically decline over the years but he would be somewhat of an insurance in case Yao goes down with an injury. If traded, I see Curry riding the bench unless the team is plagued with injury. Curry's conditioning is not so great and his heart to play the game is not there. His salary will be about 10-11 million. I don't really see anybody valuable the Rockets can get from the Knicks. What player if traded would the Rockets dump on the Knicks? It seems like the Rockets and Knicks dump players salaries back and forth to each other. The shooting Guard and Small Forward position seems a bit crowded. It'll be a tough decision ridding anyone of those players.

9. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

I believe they were randomly reporting different team trade rumors. Just because Hou and NY were both mentioned in the same tweet means they're the two teams dealing. Why would 1 trade an expiring for an expiring? It said teams have inquired about Jeffries (expiring contract). Knicks dangling Curry, assets. This means NY are offering Curry's expiring contract to other teams but not necessarily Houston.

10. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

The Knicks will use Curry's huge expiring contract to try to acquire a superstar (Melo or Paul). And by the way, those who mentioned wanting to get Knicks' picks.. LOL We already have their picks.

11. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

actually that's not a bad idea,but i was being sarcastic

Ariza+Jefferies+2011 pick for Wallace

12. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Yeah sure. Do it. :grin:

13. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

i agree with waiting for the deadline. Hopefully its all expiring contract interest. otherwise we have to showcase jefferies in a series of games for seven minute stretches.

14. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

best idea!

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Didn't we already rape and pillage the Knicks?

Next.

16. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Because the Knicks traded us their first round pick in 2012, they can't trade their 2011 or 2013 first round pick unless they get one in return.

So, we can't have their 2011 first rounder unless you are willing to give up one.... And we only have one to begin with.

If a move is made involving the Knicks, a third team would most likely have to be involved unless to get Randolph, we'd have to take Curry. And as of now, they aren't moving Randolph.

17. jsonic6

jsonic6 Contributing Member

Morey! Do work... :cool:

18. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Screw the Knicks, outside of Chandler or Randolph, they got nothing to offer us.

I'm more curious in what other teams inquired about Jeffries?

19. LandryMegaBeast

maybe she'll make another video if he goes back

lol if it happens though

20. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

We already took pretty much every good asset the Knicks had. Unless it's for Chandler or Randolph, no thank you.