1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WWII] Remember 'Rape of Nanjing' - 70 Years After

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by yuantian, Dec 13, 2007.

1. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

I watched this about a year ago. Terrible. :(

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iqH47MIpuoA&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iqH47MIpuoA&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is a key difference to internal impression largely supported by the populace and oppression by an external enemy so to claim that it is hypocritical you would have to be making an even and/or related comparrison.

My point is that the issue regarding the Japanese whitewash is much much more than just between China and Japan. Mao has nothing to do with Japan whitewashing its history.

3. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

thank you!!! Mao did it to his own people, no one has the right to go into someone else's country to rape and commit genocide.

im sick of these idiots making excuses for Japan just because they like anime.

4. DaRock1

DaRock1 Member

Have I just read that StupidMoniker has problem with people who protest the cruelty and brutality of the Japanese done on these miserable victims?

I am speechless.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

^ To be fair to SM I don't think he is in anyway excusing what the Japanese did but believes its hypocritical of Chinese to be protesting the Japanese while celebrating Mao. While Mao might've been responsible for some great attrocities I don't see how that should prevent anyone from calling out the Japanese.

Further I am also bothered by that the issue of the Japanese whitewashing history always comes down to criticizing the Chinese for defending Mao. As my family was driven out of China by the Communists I am not a fan of Mao and Mao has nothing to do with Koreans, Philipinos and the rest of Asia who are also very upset about what the Japanse are doing.

I trust that SM and other posters aren't condoning Japanese behavior but when the counter argument is almost always, "well the Chinese celebrte Mao" comes off as excusing the Japanese behavior by attacking Chinese behavior and blaming the victim by saying they aren't pure.

6. SevereCr1tic

SevereCr1tic Member

I agree with what you said to a certain extent. Everyone deserves to have his own opinion and I respect StupidMoniker's right to have his own too. But the problem that I have with him is:

He basically said every race is hypocritical when complaining about the wrongdoings that had been done on their own people in history. But he only had the urge to argue with a passion that the Chinese are hypocritical in almost every Nanjing Massacre thread. Where was he when the other races, who he thinks are hypocritical too, protested the similar issues? Such behavior is very hypocritical to me.

7. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Because it is the nationalist issue that is argued most frequently around here (at least from the perspective of a foreign nation). Probably has something to do with the large number of Chinese fans brought in by Yao.

Oh and J DIDDY, anime sucks.

#87 StupidMoniker, Dec 19, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  8. SevereCr1tic

SevereCr1tic Member

Thank you to have taken the time to explain your own behavior. Anyway, I just find it somewhat ironic that you were the one who raised the issue of hypocrisy when your own position is hypocritical.

What about showing a little respect to the miserable victims in the Nanjing Massacre by putting the pissing match on the nationalist issue aside in the Nanjing Massacre threads? Why would you have so much fun to jump into every single Nanjing thread and call anyone who moans and protests for the victims a hypocrite when yourself can easily be called the same name too? Why don't you take that pissing match to the other threads?

9. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

Unless Mao led a campaign of rape/genocide in japan that people didnt know about. i dont see the point in comparing what he did to what the japanese did, and the Chinese having a shrine to him. the japanese were the invaders. unless u lived through it, or have relatives who had u dont have the right to tell them to not be pissed.

stop making excuses for japan just because they invented playstation3 and scat p*rn.

10. StupidMoniker

How about I post whatever I want wherever I want and you do the same? If you don't like my posts, feel free to take advantage of the ignore list.
    Mao killed more Chinese than the Japanese did. Why are you letting him off the hook just because he is Chinese? Are the people Mao killed less dead because he was from the west side of the Sea of Japan?
    Strikes 2 and 3. So sorry. You can stop trying to name things that you think I like that are propelling my commentary. I have not made a single excuse for Japan, and have no special affinity for the country or its people.

#90 StupidMoniker, Dec 19, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  11. SevereCr1tic

SevereCr1tic Member

Of course you deserve to have your own opinion and no one can stop what you want to post. On the other hand, I also have the right to call a hypocrite out when i see one and you come across as a hypocrite to me in this thread. So both of us are just exercising our right here.

12. SevereCr1tic

SevereCr1tic Member

You have said every race has its dark side in its history so basically every race is hypocritical when trying to complain what had been done wrong to their own people in history. Therefore, according to your theory, no one should protest atrocity otherwise he would be a hypocrite. Can you see how idiotic your theory is now?

13. StupidMoniker

You can choose to allow yourself to be called a hypocrite and protest anyway. I can choose to allow myself to be called a hypocrite and post only about the hypocrisy of the Chinese. Your "theory" is that we shouldn't call a spade a spade because it would cast a negative light on someone participating in a worthy endeavor. I say that you have to be able to suffer the slings and arrows to stand up for what you believe.

14. Lil

Lil Contributing Member

The Rape of Nanking, i.e. mass extermination of enemy civilian populace as well as combatants, was common practice, if not de rigueur, during that time and indeed throughout history. Even in the last 30 years, Rwanda, Cambodia, Kosovo were all well-known examples. Any student can tell you that putting entire armies or cities to the sword/flame was a very common practice in Chinese history, starting with Bai Qi (Changping) and Xiang Yu (Xiangyang) in the earliest recorded Chinese history and ending with Zeng GuoFan (a Chinese national hero) sacking Nanking in 1864. To harp on this sliver of history, and to take grievous offense sufficient to sustain hatred after 70 years, is but another failure of the Chinese education system, or shall we say an unfortunate by-product of misguided post-Mao ultranationalist ideology.

Imperial Japan did a great job in Taiwan, and some of the later colonial governors sent by Japan were both brilliant and enlightened by any standard. Most Taiwanese elderly who lived through that period still have fond memories of those times and hold the Japanese and their culture in high esteem. It's a great feeling to live without hate! ;)

15. SevereCr1tic

SevereCr1tic Member

So you have openly admitted that you are a hypocrite. I guess there is nothing more to discuss.

16. SevereCr1tic

SevereCr1tic Member

Oh, Chinese education system. How do you explain the uproar in Korea and other Asian countries. As far as I know, the Koreans are just as passionate as the Chinese in this matter.

Let me tell you one thing. I was originally from Taiwan. Surprise? You should really think about our Taiwanese people who had been massacred and raped by the Japanese soldiers during the brutal occupation era before you made a post like that.

17. MFW

MFW Member

Your pathetic rants have been widely acknowledged and criticized in Chinese history. Bai Qi was lambasted as soon as his actions were committed. Xiang Yu also never won any popularity contests. In fact, he didn't win much of anything.

And Zeng Guofan a Chinese national hero? Going from distorting facts to outright lying did we? In the grand scheme of things, Zeng was nothing more than a historical footnote. Criticism of his actions rang loud even during the Qing Dynasty.

Know what's the difference between your idiotic examples and Japan? On one hand, you have acknowledged and while documented actions, on the other hand you have denial in the face of mounting evidence.

And I do love the admiration the so called Taiwanese elders have towards the Japanese. The Stockholm Syndrome is not only limited to that neck of the woods.

PS. Not fond of Mao, but I just love how the count of deaths due to Mao just keeps growing. 50 years ago it was 10 million. 40 years ago it was 20 million. 35 years ago it was 30 million. 25 years ago it was 50 million. Gotta love StupidMoniker's 10 million purged figure.

Of course, it's not the most ridiculous one I've heard. I've read as high as 130 million. Mao somehow managed to wipe out over a quarter of China's then population without any Chinese noticing. What a guy.

18. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

Mao was a misguided idiot, the japanese that invaded China were murderous rapists. what i do in my own house doesnt give u the right to come in and do the same, or in the case of the Japanese , worse.

unless u have family that lived through the occupation, u dont know anything. by your logic, the families of the victims of 9/11 shouldnt have the right to be angry at Bin Laden, since the U.S. have killed so much more people with bombs.

19. SevereCr1tic

SevereCr1tic Member

I am still mad at this outrageous post. I would think only those traitorous Taiwanese who had cooperated with the Japanese to oppress our own people and profited from the Japanese occupation would miss the brutal Japanese occupation force. I am very curious why you would miss the brutal Japanese oppressors too.

One more thing, chance is that you also had some distant relatives who had been slaughtered by the Japanese during the occupation. Based on what you have said in the above quoted post, you must either be a twisted-minded bigot or you are one heartless b*stard.

20. danny317

danny317 Member

ethnically im korean.

koreans dont like the japanese government (NOT japanese people/culture) bc of their actions during ww2, subsequent denial of those actions, whitewashing of their history textbooks...

when the japanese occupied corea (originally speeled w/ a "c" but the japanese changed it to a "k" bc alphabetically, "k" is behind "j"), they forced the populace to assimilate to japanese culture, kidnapped women for their brothels, kidnapped people to work in their factories, etc...

there was a song that the japanese military sang (sorta like a cadence) that went something like "korean people are less than pigs..."

like many of the posters on this thread have said, its hard to comprehend if you dont have ancestors who lived through something like it. its like white americans can never fully comprehend the scope of how deeply scarred the african american community is by slavery...

i dont think it is hypocritical of the chinese to get angry at the japanese government just bc of mao. the japanese did a lot of bad things throughout asia.

yes, historically, amries have wiped out civilian populations. the US even fire bombed japan and germany during ww2. however, the US acknowledges their actions where as the japanese dont.

like i said on the FIRST PAGE. the mood in asia seems to be shifting as the older generation passes on. most asian countires seem ready to move on but japan must first acknowledge their actions. then i think people will be willing to forgive.