1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WTF Rafer???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FLASH21, May 26, 2009.

Tags:
  1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

How do you make big turnovers when you have ZERO of them?? He had 3 games of 0 turnovers against Portland.

He had 2 games of 2, and one game of 3. I think one game when he had 2 they were costly, but that was it.

Now against LA he averaged 2-3 throughout, except for his highest totals of 4 and 5, but both came in blowouts (one a win and one a loss) so how costly can they be when the different is like 30 pts? I dont remember him getting all of the consecutively, that's probably the only way it would have cost houston the game.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

the people didn't say the MAGIC cant get to the finals because of rafer, they said HOUSTON can't...you can't criss cross the statements like that...sometimes players just dont fit, period. Rafer did the best he could here and he's doing the best he can there, he just has players that compliment him better now.

3. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Yeah, the 3 PGs you mentioned, only Rondo gave him the most fits.

In the Philly series, he went off against Miller (double-digit points in every game). Against Rondo, he couldn't do anything in Games 1, 2, and 4. He stepped up in Games 5-7. In this series, other than Game 2, he has done well against Mo Will.

I don't think he would do crap against Fisher/Farmar and Blake/Fernandez.

If REEFER was still on this squad, another 1st round exit.

You miss REEFER? There's room on the Magic bandwagon.

I'll stick w/ my Brooks/Lowry combination. Thanks.

4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

He had open shots in Houston for years. Opponents would leave him open all the freaking time. The dude was never consistent. If it was any NBA guard other than REEFER, they would make the open shot.

5. Rocket_Man_2.0

Here we go again... :rolleyes: let me clarify...some of the passes Rafer made were like assist cause they led to "easy baskets"...easy baskets???..hmm... :D Easy Baskets vs Difficult Baskets would you rather have easy baskets or difficult baskets...if you answer is you'd rather have easy baskets..you want Rafer as you starting pg... :rolleyes: why is this so hard understand...some assist don't coun't as offical assist..cause the player took an extra dribble..but the point i'm trying to make is that the pass...still....led..to an...easy basket...GET IT ;)

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Maybe he's incompetent at it because he's not a passing point guard :rolleyes:

Next thing we'll hear is how incompetent scola is a shot blocker...or worse yet, how Hayes is incompetent as a dunker.

The rockets got him because he was a scorer, they knew what they were getting, it's what they wanted. It's not like Brooks was a bust or didn't meet expectations because he didn't turn out to be a good passing pg.

7. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Congrats to Rafer. I think it was best for us that he move on, but I never hated the dude like some folks did.

He was trying out there.

You just repeated what he said.

8. lalala902102001

I'm rooting for Rafer. I don't have reason hating him, despite of his shoorint percentage when he was here.

9. vbx

vbx Member

LOL. All these Yao Ming Fan were complaining about Rafer and that D. Howard sucks. etc etc..

All that talking yet, the Magic are a game away to the finals.

And, ************ is down. So it looks like the guy is giving up on Yao. LOL

10. Rocket_Man_2.0

11. vbx

vbx Member

yao.ming.mania.

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Are you telling me that if ron gets a pass at the top of the key from rafer he's not going to dribble around for 6 seconds and throw up an unbalance jumper like he did after getting a pass from Brooks?

I agree there would be some benefits, he would have controlled the tempo better at times and would have not gone to ron as much, but Brooks' scoring and speed outweighed that and i sure can't possibly comprehend why anyone would suggest we would beat LA with a slower passing point when we didnt have our top two scorers and the third best scorer shot like 5 for 20 on 3s. No way.

13. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Really must be the offseason when a page about an ex-PG gets to 6 pages.

As many have already mentioned, Rafer is extremely streaky and the law of averages (statisically wise) will eventually even out.

But whatever, 5 freakin' months till we have anything to cheer about. Go RAFER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I know, but only the second part because i agree with it and i don't think anyone can disagree with that statement. I think Rafer was well liked as a person here, he was enthusiastic and competitive, but he didn't fit. That's why i wrote he can't criss cross the statement like that, those "people" he's refering to never said Orland was a bad fit for Rafer, it's actually a better fit.

15. Rocket_Man_2.0

yea... Brooks is not a pure pg...so why not move him to the shooting guard position..and let Rafer handle pg duties...when brooks is attacking and scoring he's good...when he's turning the ball over he sucks a Rafer+Brooks would've gotten us farther....Lowry was inconsistent...

16. cmellon

cmellon Member

Wow.

Rafer today
    10-17 FG
    6-12 3 Pt
    26 Points

And 1 more game to the Final..

GO RAFER!

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

that's insane, i didnt realize he was shooting that much that consistently. I can understand why he did it here at times, but when you have Lee, Hedo, and Lewis around you, there's no way you should be taking that many shots from game to game.

And like i wrote earlier, Rafer never knew when to quit, he rarely shoots poorly AND has low attempts, when he does it's really bad like those two 1 for 7s shown.

18. Rocket_Man_2.0

No.. I'm saying Ron cutting to the basket...gets "GOOD" pass from Rafer..easy bucket.....now..Ron cutting to the basket gets "BAD" pass from Brooks turnover... :p

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

You're not getting that Brooks actually doesn't turn the ball over that much. Against LA he was doing too much, but you can't completely blame him for it when Yao and tmac are out and Ron is shooting like he's got the arms of a T-rex, Rafer would have started shooting like crazy in that situation, do you really believe he would have shoot well in that situation for 4 games?

20. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

look at the bright side, we have yet to see the prime of both lowry and brooks...still think this is a great trade for the rockets...