1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wrecking Yards / Towing Companies are the scum of the earth

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by moestavern19, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Yeah, they're in the same bucket as carnies. No life skills required besides driving and sweating.

I once went into a tow yard to pick up a friend's car with a tow truck from a rival company. There was some real static, like it was a turf war.

Sorry you got effed around, MT. Next time, bring a video camera. :)

2. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Agree with thread title and they are incredibly shady but why didn't you use the ATM?

Are there really people that don't have an ATM/debit card to withdraw money?

#22 DieHard Rocket, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  3. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Moes - I hate those places....car got towed one day....I live in east houston, and I had to drive all the way to almost Conroe. Then, the place was hidden behind a plant/tree business. I NEVER would have found it unless I called. It was completely hidden with the address on the front door. No sign, nothing...

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

5. SacTown

SacTown Member

Why did you pay for it? It was your GF car, she should pay.

6. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

This.

They probably never entered this particular tow into the system and hence could not take a credit card to avoid any documentation. Makes me wonder even if the car was towed legally?

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

It was my fault, we were driving home in her car and I parked in an empty "reserved space". I get that we were towed legally, its just ****ing bull**** the way they scam you to try and get cash.

Also PM me for hot man on man chat. 2.95 an hour.

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

That's obviously not for the money.

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Interesting turn of events today... We picked up the car yesterday after the assholes were assholes... Well today my girlfriend went out to her car and found it broken into. They didn't take anything, it appeared as if they were looking for something because there were papers from the center console everywhere, and there there were no signs of forcible entry, and they left both car doors open.

Would these assholes really stoop that low as to come back here, open the car up (They are also the companies that open locked cars) and leave the doors open?

And what were they looking for? The receipt so they could take it away and tow the car again?

Maybe I'm making this theory up in my head... but it all seems a little too coincidental that it happened 1 day after and there were no signs of forcible entry.

10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Hmm. Maybe the clerk who made you pay cash realized that he or the company could be in trouble (either if he is personally pocketing some of the cash or the company is not reporting it). The receipt could help prove in court that you were towed by them and paid cash. If you don't have the receipt, they could claim that there is no way to prove that you paid cash.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Thats what I was thinking. Luckily we brought the receipt into the house.

God, I've never seen such scumball tactics in my life.

12. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Yeah thats hilarious.

Thanks for your help.

14. M.ANGEL4

M.ANGEL4 Member

it really sounds like these people were just trying to pocket the money.....

15. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:cool: At least you're not complaining that they towed it... for whatever reason. You have a legal complaint about making you spend extra money for the extra day.
    Oh, it's worth it. It's SOoOOoOOOoooooOOOooo worth it. :eek: I would do it.

16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I agree. It's obvious these pieces of **** are trying to pocket the money that you paid them, so they're trying to cover up every piece of evidence there was that they towed you. I would go after them HARD for that extra day, and hopefully in the process shed some light on how much of a ****ing scam they run.

17. da_juice

da_juice Member

Wouldn't put it past them, my Dad knows a guy who drives a tow truck, says he used to go out on the freeway at night and throw nails, hoping that he'd get the call to tow one to the mechanics.

Scumbags.

18. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

dude these guys were all up in her stuff. trust me. I could go on about various innuendos but everyone gets stuff stolen from tow situations , and the cars are combed through. you have to know this.

You are very cynical here on this bbs ,yet you give cletus benefit of doubt? Remember they are filth A plus, wouldnt expect anything less than full perusal. heck they probably jammed to your 'crazy about a mercury' song smoking the remaining butts in the tray left behind. These guys are sick like that.

Especially if you get arrested then the tow guy can say the police 'musta been searchin' the car.

I would like to nominate bailbondsmen as close 2nd behind tow people. The guys that troll around parking lots fixing dents need to be rounded up, and put to pasture. lawyers and dentists in the next caste above the tow guys but not far off. Some lawyers are okay I suppose.

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I had one of these guys pop out several dents for me for a reasonable price.

After watching him, I realized that it was easy, but then again, everything is easy when you know how.

20. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

Cool Story Bro Bump.

I went to visit my parents tonight, in Midtown, who were having dinner at Little Pappasita's on Richmond. My girlfriend and I went to TCBY in the adjacent lot to kill time, but parked on the edge of the parking lot which was closest to the restaurant, as the whole reason we were there was to meet my parents after their dinner.

Not 90 seconds after we walk away from the car, which was legally parked in the the TCBY/Retail Center parking lot which we were legally occupying, my GF says "Oh my god look at how fast that tow truck is going!" I turn around, and before I can react, the speeding truck pulls behind my car and puts it on the back of his ride, claiming I was parking there intending to go to Pappasita's. I tried to explain to him our situation, but he insulted me and my girlfriend, refused to cooperate and got in his truck.

I sit on the hood of his truck and immediately call the cops and report a car theft. Eventually, my Dad, Sister and Mother leave their meal to come see if they could help us. The driver says that he will let it slide if we pay him $72 in cash. I said "You mean an extortion fee? No f**king way I'm giving your rat ass that pleasure."

60 minutes later, 4 HPD officers arrive. Only afterwards, did the officer inform me that the only reason they came was because the driver called them and said that I was assaulting him, laughable exaggeration. They ignored my police request, but showed up for the tow truck driver's. Yeah, that's a convenient coincidence.

First, they talk to the tow driver for about five minutes, I assume taking his side of the story and that I would have the same opportunity as well. I remain silent. When the officers get to me, they basically assume everything the driver said was true and piggy back on those assumptions, asking me why we parked on the far side of the lot, at which point I explained our circumstance. They then begin a line of questioning, interrupting me all over the place, badgering and leading me, and essentially trying to get me to confess to walking to the Pappasita's lot which would legalize the towing. I refuse to admit leaving the lot. They call me a liar.

I'm told by the police to "Shut my spoiled ass up," mind you I truly hadn't said a word other than answering their questions and responding to their lecturing about the differences of elementary civil and criminal courts with "I understand officer," and they explain that since it is on private property, the driver has the right to take my car no matter how recently it was parked, and despite the fact that I had not left the lot. It was 120 seconds total from parking to tow, I had no possible opportunity to leave. I am told it is a civil matter, there is nothing they can do about it, and I must pursue it in "tow truck court."

I pay the $72 ransom and get my car back. I demand a receipt, which he is reluctantly to provide. He gives me a receipt.

Now. I rant here, not to expose the ineptitude of the HPD or the criminal antics of Lizard Lick Towers, but to ask if anyone has been in this situation before. My questions are:

1) WTF is "tow truck court?"
    2) How do I contact it and initiate my civil defense since no report was filed?
    3) What evidence do I need to prove I was illegally towed?
    4) How can I prove that the driver pocketed the $72 bribe, and assuming I can, is this inherently illegal? Meaning, if the $72 didn't go to the company as the HPD assured me it was going to (that it was a form of civil settlement), is this illegal? Is this alone enough to get me reimbursed?

I realize that any option of legal recourse is likely "not worth my time." I'm 1,000+ posts deep on a basketball forum, so I'm clearly not really deterred by that sentiment. After experiencing the scum agenda of towing companies and the HPD's clear and corrupt cooperation with those entities (and occupying his hood for 1hr20+ preventing him from continuing towing), I would like to pursue any other options I have at my disposal to further inconvenience the company, even if it means I will not be reimbursed the measly bribe fee.