1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wrecking Yards / Towing Companies are the scum of the earth

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by moestavern19, Jun 6, 2011.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

So my girlfriend's car gets towed from our apartment complex Saturday night, sometime between 3 AM and noon. We go down to the lot on Sunday, and some asshat gets all touchy with us, tells us we're not allowed to pay by credit card on Sundays because it isn't a business day. We argue with him for a while, because his sign clearly says "We accept debit or credit cards" on the wall. Anyway we go away pissed off, but theres really not much we can do because we can't get cash out on Sunday because the banks are closed.

So today we go back, try to pay again with a credit card because the guys who were there told us we had to come back during normal business hours to pay with a credit card.

Some new asshat tells us "oh we don't accept credit cards, I've never accepted a credit card in my life".

We sit there flabbergasted at this idiocy, I point to their sign and tell him "Your sign says you accept credit cards, and yesterday the people working here told us we had to come in during normal business hours to pay with one". He sticks to his story, I tell him I know my rights and I'm going to get somebody involved over it. Anyway, we end up getting the cash, come back 10 minutes later and... (This is the best part) the same fat b*stard who just said "I've never accepted a credit card / we don't even have a credit card machine here" is accepting a credit from another customer, right in front of us.

The guy sees us come up and just gives us an "Oh ****" look, but at that point we just want to get the car, so we fork over the cash and burn off.

I really don't know what kind of legal recourse (if any) we'd even have here. I've looked up some stuff about nonconsent tows, but I have no idea if we'd be able to take them to civil court over lying about their payment acceptance methods, I assume we'd have to have some sort of documentation that they refused to accept the payment.

Anyway, just venting in frustration after experiencing this scam.

I hope low life, lying douchequeens find comfort in the fact that they rip people off for a living.

2. Asian Sensation

Cool story. Feel better now?

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Slightly. I'd feel a lot better if I could take these douches to court and make them repay me. But its probably not worth my time and effort.

4. Asian Sensation

Yea I feel you. Look at the bright side... the week can only can get better from here.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I remember seeing a YouTube video with a guy paying an impound lot fee with all pennies.

They didn’t want to accept the pennies and called the police to try and get the guy to pay with dollar bills but the police told them that they had to accept the pennies, since it was cash and there’s no law saying you can’t pay with all pennies.

6. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Parking Wars is one of my guilty pleasures.

Did you ask them if they took checks?

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Rats with Wheels

Rocket River

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

10. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Are you still in the complex next to me? Did they say why they towed it? It sounds like they didn't. He probably wanted cash so he could pocket it.....

Sorry to hear this, it's really messed up that people are like this. I agree with your title.

Pugs

11. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

cleverly disguised- I have a girlfriend (i'm not gay I promise) thread

2 people like this.
  12. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Dude is scamming off the top from the business and/or trying to force you to pay cash to avoid taxes.

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Got to be careful or you could end up paying more...

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...0-pennies-guy-adds-his-two-cents-to-the-story

sucks what happened but you got the vehicle back and what's done is done. More along and chalk it up to there being jerks in the world. And maybe next time you g/f won't park in a spot where she can be towed:eek:

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That sucks, what was the car towed for?

DD

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

ive always been proud in a way about the patience i typically have with customer service type situations. im alway polite over the phone with people etc.

but if that happened to me the same way that you said. im not sure what my temper would boil over to. man i just dont know. pretty sure i would go balistic.

16. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

they really are scum

17. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

Cleverly disguised back in the closet thread.

So, you and your boyfriend, I mean, um, girlfriend, don't have these new fangled ATM cards that allow you to get cash on Sundays? They're pretty new technology. You guys might not have heard of them.

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

there was this lady camping out by the mcdonalds accross campus at A&M, when I went inside to ihop to get something she though i was trying to park thre. The little b**** called the towing co and they towed my car. I don't understand why any third party has the right to take my **** and make me pay for it.

19. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Tow yards should be burned to the ground. Anyone who has ever had to deal with these ***** hates their guts. They combine all the worst attributes of cop, mechanic, and tax collector. "OH BUT THEY'RE PERFORMING AN IMPORTANT PUBLIC SERVICE" **** you. Only a tow yard driver would have the balls to say that to anyone, and not when they're alone, either. HATE 'em.

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

You might have a case for credit on the extra day it was in storage. Doubt it would be worth it though.