1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade Artest for Mike Miller straight up?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by texanskan, Jan 27, 2009.

?

Would you trade Artest for Mike Miller?

1. Yes

165 vote(s)
    45.6%
  2. No

197 vote(s)
    54.4%
  1. acer01

acer01 Member

It's not the matter of who is better, but who is better fitting the Rockets ball.

2. TManiAC

TManiAC Member

(1) No one said anything about player popularity and I highly doubt that's what Houston is concerned with if they went out and got the most controversial player in Ron Artest. So youre completely off base with that theory.
    (2) Dawson traded a very good PF for Clyde, he also traded a very good young prospect in Rudy Gay to get Shane Battier... so I guess me and CD might be thinking the same thing and the opposite of whatever you're thinking
    (3) Who cares if Terry has this season plus 3??? Are YOU gonna pay the $40 Million out of your own pocket? Are you that hell bent on ruining the franchise that you would have the Rockets handcuffed to a player that's clearly on the decline and would inevitably coming off the bench... for 10 Mill a year?! Do you know that the Rockets are a business and they run on a budget?
    (4) Who cares if TMac, Shane, and Mike Miller have good chemistry?... I think you would care if it meant more wins and a ring. You act like this was the only basis for my argument when I specifically mentioned spacing and flow of offense. Like I've said already, we were the paradigm for a defensive team BEFORE Artest got here when our Achilles heal was clearly our offense.
    (5) You mention Orlando (the team that copied JVG's model)... where is there Ron Artest and/or Jason Terry? I can tell you tho that they have Hedo Turkoglu and Rashard Lewis around Dwight... similar to Tracy McGrady and Mike Miller around Yao.

You don't offer anything intelligent to discuss so I'm forced to simply re-iterate my points.

3. kevtse

kevtse Member

Artest for Bibby!!!

4. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

everybody is talking about how Mike Miller would be a perfect fit for this team, but didn't we say the same thing about Swift, Bonzi, Tracy (under Adelman's offense) and now Artest.

I think this team is cursed or something. I really feel bad for Les and Morey, what else can they do, they tried everything from bringing in more talent every year to changing coaches. We will see how things end up this year, hopefully for the best.

5. TManiAC

TManiAC Member

Bonzi is the same type of players as Artest.

And most of the guys we bring in are low risk/high reward. e.g. short contracts and known talent.

IF, we bring in Mike Miller, hopefully his injuries dont reduce him to Derek Andersen or Brent Barry.

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i'd rather have morey than adelman.

7. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Wouldnt doubt that too much... Van Gundy never talked the company line & always expressed what he thought. But how Adelman is a player's coach, I dont see him being a "front office's coach" that much. He's probably all ornery and crusty having his own ideas what he wants to do. I really dont see how Morey is an agitative presence, so it might be some kinda smart people power struggle kinda thing.

8. misticalx

misticalx Rookie

Didn't Houston try to get Bibby before the Regular Season started? I forgot, what happened there? I like Bibby and don't think Houston should give up on trying to get him.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I've heard nothing publicly to suggest an internal feud. All of the so-called Morey players (Battier, Hayes) continue to get effusive praise and playing time from the coaching staff, despite more athletic, offensively-potent options being available. My outsider impression is that there is genuine mutual respect and appreciation between them. Some difference on specific issues could be there, of course (for example, Morey felt that Francis should be playing early last year, when Adelman was reluctant to give him minutes). But I'd be surprised if there was real tension between them.

10. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Mike Miller?

No way

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Because a lot of people think players hang out with each other and stuff. Just lke people think you have to be good friends to play together. Allen doesn't like kg because of the profanity he uses, but they play well together. Jason Terry is a really,really good shooter/scorer/lead guard. Sure he has this year plus 3 left on his contract, but if you feel he can help you win the title this year or the next, you do it. At one time Dallas had Jamison,walker,dirk,finley,and nash all making over 12m. They didn't win and they traded jamison for harris and stack and traded walker for raef. When players have the "untradeable" contracts, if they can play, people will trade with you. Its called having assets.

The goal is to win the ring, not be competitve. Anyone can build a competitve team, but how many can build a championship quality team? BTW, Morey traded the 8th pick, not Dawson.

12. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

yes, yes. yes. our defense is fine without artest. mike miller can score efficiently

13. TManiAC

TManiAC Member

You still dont make any sense. Dallas went nowhere.

Continue to make posts claiming you have inside knowledge, which I think is utter BS if you cant even spell Adelman's name correctly.

14. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

seem like some of you miller lovers is infatuated with mike miller from 2, 3 years ago, cause this white boy's struggling so far this season in MN, and he's close to 30 if i'm not mistaken. Just curious, why is miller a better "fit"?? Just cause he can bomb away from the 3? If based on that, why not get novak back then?
    This is an absurd question or poll to begin with, artest's worth more than just mike miller, MN would do this in a heartbeat.... unbelievable

15. TManiAC

TManiAC Member

Thats because you dont watch basketball and read stat lines instead.

There's alot of those here.

If you've watched Mike Miller at all, you would know that he has exceptional vision and passing ability in addition to his lights out shooting. He is a respectable rebounder for his size, uses screens efficiently and moves well without the ball. He is tall enough to shoot over the top of most NBA 2s and has a quick enough first step to beat most NBA 3s off the dribble drive.

He's not gonna pound you in the post or be your lock down defensive player, but as many ppl have already mentioned here, Houston was already an elite defensive team in the league and has continued to struggle offensively and has poor spacing.

Battier is the ideal stopper on our team, we don't need Artest. We dont need players that stop the flow of offense. Artest is coming off the bench anyway, if we need anything from the bench, it's scoring.

With Brooks, Wafer, Mike Miller and Landry coming off the bench, we should never see another scoring drought again.

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Id rather gamble on Miller this season than have Artest walk at the end of the season for nothing.

17. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Right. Didnt want to make it like there's a feud, not anything at all like the reported one between Yao and Tracy. More like Smart Debate.

Intelligent people can be objective, receptive and open to all ideas, other times they can be headstrong with their own ideas. And other times it can take a lot of convincing to "win" the other smart person over.

And I'm saying it would be coming from Adelman to have the disagreements cuz of (admittedly exaggerated traits of) his own personality. Basic stuff that can happen anywhere.

18. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Don't forget how well Barry runs this offense